Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having issues with stripped or miss-threaded bolts?

I had a stripped bolt holding the riders seat down on the left side of the bike, also had miss-threaded bolt at the lower bolt holding the passenger peg bracket down.. Just totally random right???

Then I helped my buddy with some mods.. He had the exact same issues with the exact same bolts, and his bike came from a different dealer..

What are the chances of that..

Just more Kawasaki quality haha :D

·
Banned
562 Posts
thats the same bolt I had . I thought I stripped it but yes the one on left side holding seat down crapped out on me

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, sorta.

The bolt on the left side of the seat was very tight and I had to use a ratchet to get it out while the one on the right was removed easily with a 'T' handle.

Thankfully I didn't have a stripped or cross-threaded bolt. *whew*

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

I had a stripped bolt holding the riders seat down on the left side of the bike, also had miss-threaded bolt at the lower bolt holding the passenger peg bracket down.. Just totally random right???

sorry, a misthreaded bolt is not a kawasaki issue, its a user issue.

when a bolt/screw is mis threaded it becomes incredibly tight to do up.back it off and try again.

best way to avoid this is do it with your fingers first with no tools or when trying to line the bolt up, turn it to unscrew it a turn or two before tightening it up

·
Hero of Time
1,352 Posts

Then I helped my buddy with some mods.. He had the exact same issues with the exact same bolts, and his bike came from a different dealer..

What are the chances of that..

mine is the right side of the seat bolt....pissed me off i spent literally 30 minutes trying to get it in straight then said f it and cross threaded it in.

there was literally no way to make both sides match up to their holes if using the collars...i tried sitting on it pushing it while aligning it...nothing worked.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mine is the bolt on the right side of the seat as well. There is no way I will be able to get that bolt out if I'm not at home with the proper tools. The allen wrench from the tool pouch wont do it that's for sure.

·
Registered
801 Posts
User issue?
Only thing I've taken off was the chain guard, to adjust the rear shock! 1 Allen bolt was hard to get out from start to finish and had fine shaving of thread spiraled up it! Threaded! Went back in much smoother!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
sorry, a misthreaded bolt is not a kawasaki issue, its a user issue.

when a bolt/screw is mis threaded it becomes incredibly tight to do up.back it off and try again.

best way to avoid this is do it with your fingers first with no tools or when trying to line the bolt up, turn it to unscrew it a turn or two before tightening it up

I know how to work with bolts haha, it came off miss-threaded.. I had to use a tap to fix it only so i could correctly reinstall it, so that is a Kawasaki issue :)

As for the stripped bolt, the seat bolt is a allen head and it was the internal socket which was stripped, totally rounded out, it was like that when i got to it.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I've pretty much swapped out all my 5 and 6mm bolts with KTM 8mm head bolts. Far nicer to work on the bike when 1 T handle does everything.

Watch the triple clamp bolts, my bike tossed off 2 in the first 1000 miles, and the front brake caliper mount bolts were loose around that time too. New bike, high frequency vibes, stuff will get loose, especially from brand new. Mass production has its fails too. I'm sure they are pushing those workers to drive the guns fast and move the line along.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I also had an issue with removing the left under seat bolt. But remember these bikes don't come with a battery or oil. They put this in at the dealer, meaning the dealer is the last one to touch that bolt before us.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
117 Posts
I also had an issue with removing the left under seat bolt. But remember these bikes don't come with a battery or oil. They put this in at the dealer, meaning the dealer is the last one to touch that bolt before us.
Good point. I almost forgot about that. Another helpful hint for the uninitiated: rotated the fastener to the left until you feel it seat in the threads, then turn it to the right to see if it threads in place properly. Many cross threading issues can be prevented by that simple trick.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Good point. I almost forgot about that. Another helpful hint for the uninitiated: rotated the fastener to the left until you feel it seat in the threads, then turn it to the right to see if it threads in place properly. Many cross threading issues can be prevented by that simple trick.
I do that with any fine thread. Really helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
thats what i said earlier in the this thread :D

·
Registered
801 Posts
My dealer told me that the bikes ship with oil and even if oil is low as long as there is enough oil in it they don't like to top it up so the original break in oil is Kawasaki SPEC! Sure they don't ship with oil and battery?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.