Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I come from a background of riding road bicycles quite a bit. From this, I've adapted to having my head craned up to look over the handlebars for long rides without neck strain. So when I first jumped on the highway a few months back, I was getting buffeted by the wind, and found it quite noisy (no ear plugs + crappy helmet). So naturally I went into a full race tuck. However, I noticed every other rider, including supersports, were riding in a relaxed riding position.

Is it weird to tuck for hour rides on the hwy? I find it pretty comfortable sometimes, so I continue to take that position quite often on the hwy, but I do feel a bit in the minority heh heh

·
Banned
48 Posts
i also ride road bicycles and its true that we always tuck on road bikes but for me its comfy for me to go full tuck on my ninja when i'm on the freeway cruising. since most freeways around southern california are straight for the most part so i just lay on my tank.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes, I tuck in and put my body against the tank, anytime I'm going faster than 40mph. My knees do get uncomfortable after a while though so I do take upright "breaks" now and then.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Never tuck unless going high speed, which is once in a blue moon just to push the little engine that could.

Otherwise you just look a bit.........silly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Never tuck unless going high speed, which is once in a blue moon just to push the little engine that could.

Otherwise you just look a bit.........silly.
I thought this was the norm with sport bike riders. But I tried the tuck while on the interstate and I couldn't help to think what other people were thinking. Like:

"Look at this guy, he thinks he is going fast at 70 MPH."

LOL! But it was super windy and cold and it made riding a bit more bearable, especially when I ended up behind a semi.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I thought this was the norm with sport bike riders. But I tried the tuck while on the interstate and I couldn't help to think what other people were thinking. Like:

"Look at this guy, he thinks he is going fast at 70 MPH."

LOL! But it was super windy and cold and it made riding a bit more bearable, especially when I ended up behind a semi.
Dont get me wrong, I will definitely tuck if its cold or windy, just to give the muscles a rest from counteracting all the time. But for normal riding, not a chance. Nothing more silly IMO than seeing a small cc bike making mega noise, with a tucked rider in full gear...........going 70mph. But thats just me, others love tucking all the time and each to their own. Whatever makes your ride more enjoyable do it I say.

·
Registered
165 Posts
There isn't much "tuck" left in these old bones, but I will get as close as I ever do when at higher speeds to save a little gas. Might do 140 miles tomorrow.

regards
Mech

·
Registered
652 Posts
Today was the first time I tried tucking in on the freeway and it made the ride much more enjoyable. Sure I was going 70mph but I liked it better than sitting up in the wind and as another guy noted, I didn't have my ear plugs in and my helmet can be a bit noisy at high speeds. When tucked the noise is lessened alot.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I shift around to different positions, but I find tucking to be comfortable, you get to lay down on the tank and relax your body.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
I usually want to tuck when I get over 100kmh. Unfortunately for me, I find the position so relaxing that I feel I may doze off, so I sit up more often than not to make sure I don't fall asleep and stack it. Just the way the tank is shaped I guess...

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
it depends how cold it is, if it is cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey i will get in to a full tuck, its great fun being in full tuck with going at highway speeds & looking at everyones look on their faces when doing 100 kmph in a 100 kmph zone & your in full tuck & getting over taken by speedsters, LOL, cracks me up

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
You can get an extra 3-5 km/h if you tuck. I do just cuz it's comfy. I'll rest my left forearm across the tank for extra comfiness. I do notice it's hard to do on these bikes cuz the handle bars are so upright.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts