Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got involved in an accident today. Was riding into work and waiting for my light to turn green about 3 miles away from my destination. Light turned green and I slowly crept out into the intersection. Out of nowhere a vehicle decided to blow through the intersection thinking they could make it in time (their light must've been red for about 10 seconds). That vehicle slammed into the car in the lane next to me and then hit me directly where my exhaust was. I was ejected off my bike sending me one way and the bike the other. Some witnesses came to help me get to the sidewalk and off the intersection and then attempted to pull my bike out of traffic.

I was checked out by the ambulance on scene and recommended to go to the hospital as a follow up for precaution. Fortunately I was wearing all my gear except my Kevlar jeans. I suffered some cuts and bruises and road rash from my jeans. Thankfully witnesses stuck around as it started to rain to give statements about what happened. This is the one time I didn't have my GoPro with me and recording.

I am pretty sure the bike is totalled but will learn the outcome tomorrow or the following day from my insurance. Fairings, mirrors, exhaust, rear wheel rotor, caliper, were just....mangled.

Just glad that I wasn't going slower. Otherwise my leg would've been mangled, broken or worse.

ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR!

Hope bike is totalled, not wanting to ride it if it's fixed.

Still in disbelief, feels weird to go in my garage and see a stand there and no bike.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wow glad you're okay...I was in a similar accident and ended up im physical therapy for like 6 months for a torn acl and rotator cuff...me leg was pinned between the car and my bike for a second while I was being thrown another way which tore my knee. I landed with my arm straight out which tore my rotator. Bike was pretty much gone...I sued the guy and bought another one. Make sure if you have any injuries that you take pictures of it while its still fresh.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. This one wasn't your fault and you shouldn't be worrying about what ifs in this case. Hell the biggest thing you should be happy about was that you had someone on your right to begin with and didn't take that idiot directly without having a nice speed buffer between you and him first. I've seen what a high speed T-boning of a motorcycle looks like and you wouldn't have had a chance. Hope this idiot has the insurance to cover your medical bills and new bike. Hope you recover and your baby can get replaced.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You work in Temecula? What intersection?

Glad to hear you're okay.

Yes. Taking the next couple days off. Extremely sore. It happened at Rancho California and Jefferson. There are signs at the top of the light that say "red light photo enforced" yet, there's no cameras. Temecula P.D. (or Sheriff's) is right around the corner from there.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
368 Posts
woah that sucks, glad you're okay, i hope you didn't put a lot of work into that bike

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Crazy story, but nothing you can do to stop stuff like that happening. Glad you are otherwise ok. But ye, I'd put a lot of money on the bike being totaled

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great to know the damages weren't more severe for your body. I'll have a drink to your speedy recovery :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Be thankful that the Lord was watching over you, like you said it could have been much worse, hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Did ya go to the ER? or get checked out by the hospital? Glad to hear you are ok, but please go get checked out if you haven't. Adrenaline can keep you from feeling anything for up to 3 days and then it will hit you, and a hairline fracture could end up breaking....thats from personal experience.
Again, good to hear you are ok...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes. Taking the next couple days off. Extremely sore. It happened at Rancho California and Jefferson. There are signs at the top of the light that say "red light photo enforced" yet, there's no cameras. Temecula P.D. (or Sheriff's) is right around the corner from there.
That's a really wide intersection, I can see why people would want to take liberties with passing red lights there, sorry you had to be in the unfortunate end of that imprudence.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was checked out at the ER. Had to wait forever though. Back pain feels worse. Just sore all over. Adjuster from Geico viewed my motorcycle today and said it was totalled. I should be getting a check in the mail soon.

Wish the state's got the moondust gray. Got a call later from Cycle Gear and my ASV shorty levers finally showed up. Perfect timing.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. I had my 2008 250 totalled coming home from the dealer in 2008. Brand new bike. I too was bruised and needed four stitches in my hand between my thumb and forefinger (guess I didn't want to let go of the brake..lol).

I was just talking to a friend who is an insurance agent tonight and telling him of my accident, and he said he rarely sees someone walk away from a totalled motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Glad you're okay. Take it easy and you'll be back on two in no time!

This shit honestly scares me though. I see people run red lights every single day here (This is not an exaggeration. Every day, I see at minimum one person flooring it through a red light during my relatively short commute. It's an epidemic in the Toronto area. This does not include people making right-on-reds without stopping, which is a whole other story.) I was almost t-boned by a left-turner while in my car on Friday... This person didn't see my car; I don't want to imagine what would have happened if I was on my Ninja.

·
Banned
62 Posts
Take pictures of injuries and make sure you get compensation for pain and suffering and having to miss work plus the full cost of bike.

You might as well make some money out of it which will pay for new gear and mods for the next bike

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Take pictures of injuries and make sure you get compensation for pain and suffering and having to miss work plus the full cost of bike.

You might as well make some money out of it which will pay for new gear and mods for the next bike
Copy that. Pain killers are my new best friend.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts