Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
....so I've been riding for six months (all on the 300), done plenty of k's, nearly 9000km, track days to boot, basically had no problems....until today...shiiiit.

Basically all my fault, was riding a road I ride two or three times a week, came in a little too hot, clipped the single white line on the exit of one turn, the bike squirmed under me, I turned it over to take the next right but it was too late and I ran wide and basically went over a three or four metre cliff.... :(

I didn't get photos of my bike down in the gully because my phone went over with the bike obviously and no sooner had I climbed back to the top a lady who had been walking by and two guys on bikes stopped and helped me get the bike back to the road. fortunately there was a walking trail about five metres below where my bike stopped and once we'd let it slide down to that track it was a matter of pushing the bike up a fairly gentle incline back up and around to the road.

Now the good news; by some freaking miracle that I can't explain the bike is nearly completely unscathed (as am I). Somehow as I was still on the bike as I went over (probably should've bailed but it worked out ok i guess) I managed to miss all the trees on the way down. I was wearing a helmet, leather jacket (which grazed a tree on the way down, saving my left arm from what would've been a nasty hit otherwise), kevlar jeans and Forma boots and gloves. Everything worked well and I took no damage from the final slide down the hill with the bike basically on top of me.

So yeah, once we got the bike back to the top I surveyed the damage, sat on it and turned the key, thanked my lucky stars that it fired back up, thanked everyone profusely for their help as it was late in the arvo here and I could've been stuck for awhile (even if i'd phoned someone for help, there was little chance we would've seen the walking track in the dark) and then swallowed my pride and rode gently the 45 mins to my house where I now sit....alive.

I will try and get back to the spot in the next few days to take a photo of the tire mark going over the edge and the spot where the bike came to rest but I have some photos of what little damage there is and some google street view shots of the corner it was.

Long story, short: no sympathy, just ride safe.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so in the first shot is where I was coming from, im coming towards the bottom of the screen. went wide on the exit of that left (remember im riding on the left down here in Australia), clipped the white line (it had rained that morning....no excuse shouldn't have touched it anyway) and then the rest of the shots are showing the way I was heading and the turn where I went off the edge and all the trees I somehow missed...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow... What a story... I can't believe you just drove off like nothing happened... and the bike just started fine...

I am guessing you we're riding too fast, did not turn your head thru the turn and possibly used brakes in the turn - exactly like in the video twist of the wrist 2 I just watched the other day.

Anyway, I hope you feel ok and continue riding within your limits.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Glad to see you're ok and have learned some valuable lessons. It can get fun in the twisties, but if you are riding at the very limit your margin for error is very small indeed. That could have been so much worse than what happened. Buff out what you can, but I personally wouldn't remove all of it. With very minor cosmetic damage like this, it's good to have a reminder of your first down to keep lessons learned fresh. My cruiser was my first down and I still have the cosmetic damage on the front fender and gas tank to remind me of what went wrong. Good luck and ride safe and thank your lucky stars. :D

·
Registered
655 Posts
Damn man Glad you are ok would of been a nasty fright going down.

Bike is lucky not to have bent anything.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Wow... What a story... I can't believe you just drove off like nothing happened... and the bike just started fine...

I am guessing you we're riding too fast, did not turn your head thru the turn and possibly used brakes in the turn - exactly like in the video twist of the wrist 2 I just watched the other day.

Anyway, I hope you feel ok and continue riding within your limits.
Sometimes we get lucky...sometimes we find our limits and walk away from it. Sometimes we find the bikes limits, sometimes our own...

Sometimes...there's a happy ending. Like this one.

More often than not we don't get to walk away like Sepatown. Count your lucky stars brother. Glad you came away able to share this story.

·
Registered
344 Posts
We call that "Riding it Out" on the track. Not usually a good thing to do on public roads with trees :eek:

Glad it worked out for you. If you or someone reading this you should let the damn thing go! The weight of the bike (usually heavier than the rider :p) carries more momentum, especially down a hill. It just physics! Going along for the ride just increases the distance of the slide as you are combining mass. More mass will travel greater distance as they have more potential energy, F = M x A.

Another reason why we wear upper and lower protective gear. Sliding generates heat quickly and will burn through textiles (cotton and the like) in just a few feet; human skin in inches.

·
Registered
865 Posts
woah! that liek no damage at all for that kind of crash! you lucked out! lol glad your safe bro! all that really matters =D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Wow, you are lucky. I can't believe the amount of bikes going down.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
It's what happens when you are part of a community with a lot of new riders. Newer riders are at a greater risk of a mishap so you're going to see more oopsie posts. On the 600 super sport sites, you see more "My buddy newbie user X died last weekend. In memory of etc etc." We should be fortunate that we get mostly, "I low sided and scratched up and cracked my bike." and not others coming on here telling us a forum member has died. I think it's a pretty fair trade.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Small divided lanes with cliffs on one end scare me a little. Glad all is well and you and the bike can get back in action. I typically like to take it a little slower on roads like that with smaller lanes and tight turns. I save the high speed action for sweeping wide lane turns that i feel comfortable on. Do you think if you have stickier tires and not the stock ones you still would have slipped and went down? Just curious.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ I have Pirelli Rosso ii's on, so I can't use the tires as an excuse. I went back up there last night so I'll upload the pics sometime later today of where I went over.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
ok, so maybe 'cliff' isn't the right word for the ledge that I went off, but it's hard to judge just how steep it is from any of these shots but the first one. the second and third shots do give me little chills thinking how perfectly I went down between the stumps and the trees. I basically ended up in the pine tree with the low foliage.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
First. Glad to hear you're OK. That had the possibility of ending much worse than it did. Unfortunately I have been in a situation where I hit a patch of dirt and the bike squirmed left to right underneath me. Never a good feeling.

·
Registered
392 Posts
How long were you riding before your accident, basically asking do you think your tires were warmed up for quick riding? Those are good tires though, that white line you hit must have been really slick.

·
Registered
127 Posts
thanks for sharing your story. definitely will learn from it.

awesome you included the scene of accident. I wish to climb up the mount nebo again to recollect what happened and how couldve done better - but was a rainy day when mine happened.

How did the jacket look?

pretty lucky i suppose from the story you told - slid a cliff. Ever thankful to the good samaritans in the world. Theyre always there to help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts