Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anodizing Aluminum - Chime In

Hi all,

if you've had experience(s) with anodizing aluminum/metals. Please chime in.

I need to get some new rearsets since I broke mine when I took a slide not too long ago. I really want a gold set but I cant seem to find a set I really like in gold.
I want gold so I can start making my bike stand out from the rest and I think gold works really well with white.
Vortex rearsets look amazing. I love the overall design, the engeuinity of the design and just how much you can adjust them.

question time..
if the vortex rearsets are aluminum can I just anodize them?
is it something I can do at home?
will it affect the rearsets performance?
if I cant do it at home, is it common for someone to do as a job?

thank you in advance.
nathan
:yahoo:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I used to be a buyer for a manufacturing company and would routinely have to send machined aluminum parts out to the anodizer. From what I remember, it's not something you want to, or can do at home. Too many nasty chemicals involved. Chances are, if you live in a big enough city, there should be an anodizer in your town. If you can't find one after googling it, then search for machine shops. They'll probably do their own anodizing, or at least need to send it out for anodizing, and they can give you a contact.

If they don't do gold regularly, it might be expensive for them to do a bath. Check to see if and when they are doing a gold bath and if you can add your rearsets to the batch, and the cost shouldn't be too bad.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Hi all,

if you've had experience(s) with anodizing aluminum/metals. Please chime in.

I need to get some new rearsets since I broke mine when I took a slide not too long ago. I really want a gold set but I cant seem to find a set I really like in gold.
I want gold so I can start making my bike stand out from the rest and I think gold works really well with white.
Vortex rearsets look amazing. I love the overall design, the engeuinity of the design and just how much you can adjust them.

question time..
if the vortex rearsets are aluminum can I just anodize them?
is it something I can do at home?
will it affect the rearsets performance?
if I cant do it at home, is it common for someone to do as a job?

thank you in advance.
nathan
:yahoo:
I believe the vortex rearsets are already anodized and stripping them and re anodizing them will remove .001 of material from the surface and it wont come out looking quite like it would be if it were bare aluminum that you started off with. You can redo it, but it wont look as good or as uniform with the texture you may be looking for. It'll also loosen up any threads you have as that material loss will happen at the threads as well.

This is definitely something you can't do at home. It requires a good and stable amount of power and the chemicals required can't be purchased in required amounts without proper paperwork as they are very caustic and very dangerous. Usually requires a commercial license.

It may affect fit. Stripping the old anodized layer off will remove a small amount of material, including the threaded areas. It might make the rearsets move and vibrate a tiny bit as the screws may not have full bite on the now slightly wider hole you made. Usually when we re-anodized an aluminum part at metals tech, they usually had to re-tap the hole for the next size up thread in order to ensure proper fit. You don't want to be drilling into your bike frame though just so you can get gold rearsets.

Anodizing is a fairly common job to do. You can just ask around machine shops and metals tech shops on anodizing and they'll point you in the right direction. They may even have an anodize shop right there on facility who can do all that for you. It wont be cheap though since the old bit has to be stripped first and inspected to ensure all of the old bits are off and then they'll redo it. Although it seems the dye you want isn't an overly common one so who knows on the price for it.

If you want to do it, give it a shot and it may work out for you. Vortex and SV racing generally make them on order so you may be able to order a set without a surface finish on it and get it anodized to your color.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have the vortex rear-sets and can confirm that they come with a coat already on them. They are matte black so not sure if it's anodised but hard to get another colour on them I imagine. That said the sportier position of the rear-sets is awesome.

edit: just checked images on anodised Black aluminium and the sets are indeed anodised black.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
changing colours of aluminium parts is a piece of cake. its an old trick used by many R/C's for years now, theres plenty of videos around on how to do it, here is one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Qw7QgnBYc
Cruizin, from I can gather this video is just showing how to re-dye the anodized aluminum. How would this go going from black to gold?

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
Cruizin, from I can gather this video is just showing how to re-dye the anodized aluminum. How would this go going from black to gold?
probably take ages if it all , if you tried to go straight from black to gold.

from memory you could remove the old colour first and it wasn’t too difficult, just time consuming.

let me go hunting and see what i can find to remove the black colour in the first place and return it to just plain aluminium

ah ha!!!

Radio Controlled users to the rescue again

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive emailed vortex about getting a set which isn't anodized, just waiting on their reply.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Am I able to get pure caustic soda from work so this would be easy as. Thanks alot cruizin.

edit: im still a little worried about anodizing them becuase I could strip down the rearsets and they wont fit. Paying a lot for rearsets is one thing then fucking them is another.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
Am I able to get pure caustic soda from work so this would be easy as. Thanks alot cruizin.

edit: im still a little worried about anodizing them becuase I could strip down the rearsets and they wont fit. Paying a lot for rearsets is one thing then fucking them is another.

well, get some old pieces of aluminium and experiment on them, goto your nearest tip/rubbish dump recycle shop and go hunting thru there , we have plenty of it here , im sure yours does too

get the rear sets and make sure they fit *FIRST* and if they do, *THEN* disassemble them and go from there

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The problem as I stated earlier is that anodizing and then stripping will remove a tiny amount of material. Including the threaded area for the screws. Slightly looser screw holes could allow the rearsets to vibrate and shift slightly. Causing wear and tear at the screw area over time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you want gold rearsets... Sato Racing does a pair for the 300. I also found a pair on eBay for $150ish. But curious about the eBay quality...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you want gold rearsets... Sato Racing does a pair for the 300. I also found a pair on eBay for $150ish. But curious about the eBay quality...
I was looking at the sato rearsets, but after seeing the design from vortex I thought anodizing them would be amazing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vortex team had replied to my email and had confirmed my questions.
They had told me that they can't send them without being anodized and they cant send me a custom gold pair. (it was worth a shot). Vortex also had said that me stripping them down and re dying them shouldn't cause any fitment issues on important pieces. Althought I don't beileve that.

in the meantime I buy my rearsets, I'm going to be practicing my anodizing with some scrap aluminum I got from the tip and from what I had laying around the house. Ive borrowed :emot-ninja: some caustic soda from work. Ill be posting photos when I practice on random aluminum and when I gey my rearsets I'll also be posting photos too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts