Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took my bike apart this morning, took 3 hours, took all fairings off, opened my headlight assembly, took my exhaust off. Have full yoshi carbon on way, bk moto hids and yoshi frame sliders and fender elim, rear sets , grips levers and sprocket, and fuel moto tuner. Opening headlight up took only an hour, not sure why ppl are claiming it takes all day, it's not fun by any means but it's not a big deal either. Now just waiting for the parts to arrive:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Took my bike apart this morning, took 3 hours, took all fairings off, opened my headlight assembly, took my exhaust off. Have full yoshi carbon on way, bk moto hids and yoshi frame sliders and fender elim, rear sets , grips levers and sprocket, and fuel moto tuner. Opening headlight up took only an hour, not sure why ppl are claiming it takes all day, it's not fun by any means but it's not a big deal either. Now just waiting for the parts to arrive:cool:
The time for the headlight assembly isn't really the opening up part. It's cleaning off all the adhesive and gunk used to seal it that makes it a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Mine took so long because I was being so careful.. I didnt know how fragile any of the parts would be.. But in being so carful, once I sealed it back up it looked factory you couldnt tell I was prying on the plastic at all.. Not that its a area you will ever see but I am picky like that..

But yes cleaning the parts took the longest..

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yep, I was just extra careful not to crack anything. Took forever. A tip: when you go to seal them back up, if you are using the ribbon sealer, go over the sealer with wax paper. Just rub over it a few times then take the wax paper off. It makes the sealer VERY shiny...and pretty. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I've opened these up before so I knew what I was doing, I used to be MECP installer back in the day so, I'm no stranger to panels, plungers, pop rivets ect. But yeah glue was a bear. But not that bad. I used a s
Dremel to clean the seam, then a heat gun to re form any signs of prying

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To anyone on the fence about it, you just need some confidence and document your progress. I personally put all fasteners in a zip lock with a note in the bag, lower, upper , inner fairing ect. Also take pictures if you need to and then you can retrace you steps

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
To anyone on the fence about it, you just need some confidence and document your progress. I personally put all fasteners in a zip lock with a note in the bag, lower, upper , inner fairing ect. Also take pictures if you need to and then you can retrace you steps
cant agree more.. I have taken down the bike so many times i know where everything goes but I still bag eveything by general location so nothing gets lost..

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
cant agree more.. I have taken down the bike so many times i know where everything goes but I still bag eveything by general location so nothing gets lost..
Thankfully with basic engineering training that I've had, the IPB is all I really need to put it back together again. Only thing being getting the proper sealant in there. Any of those sights that let you go through the IPB to order parts, You can blow up that image and print it out and you have your own personal IPB that shows you how everything goes together. Also for hardware, seal off your work area and use a white cloth base to lay all hardware onto. Toolbox should be properly shadowed in foam. I even tape and label everything and remove the labels as I assemble. Too much of a pain in the ass though to do it right as I've gotten lazy after I've gotten out of the military. Would rather pay a shop who stand by their work in writing than do it myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts