Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up my White 300 this past Friday. Very excited to finally have a bike now to say the least. This is my first bike, so I haven't fully gotten over the nervousness of riding just yet, but with every ride I'm definitely building up my confidence. Thinking about taking the MSF course again as a refresher since it has been 3 years since I last took it. I remember most of the training, but it can't hurt to be safer.

Anyway, I also wanted to share the details of my purchase in case it helps anyone else. I picked up my White 300 this past Friday at a dealership here in Fontana, CA. I bought it using the Costco Auto Program for $5,515 (including tax, license, etc). And what's great about this is that I will be getting a $250 gift card to Costco as a perk of buying through this program. So my true net cost is actually $5,265. Not a bad deal IMO after seeing what many others have been paying. Didn't have to haggle with them about pricing. And when you buy through this program you get 20% off Kawi accessories at the time of purchase, but they gave me 20% off the other accessories I needed as well which helped me get all the gear I needed and wanted.

In total, after the $250 gift-card, I paid $6,345 and got the bike and...

• Shoei RF-1100 Helmet (Chroma TC-1)
  • Alpinestars T-GP-R Air Textile Jacket
  • Alpinestars SP-X Leather Glove
  • Kawi Service Manual
  • Kawi Deluxe Cover
  • Kawi Rear Seat Cowl (Back-ordered)
I hope that this information helps you guys or any future buyer land the bike they want for the price they want.

Will post back to this thread from time to time with progress on my bike and such.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yesterday I received my first set of mods in the mail. Nothing major as you can see. Upgrading the headlights in hopes of increasing my visibility and so that others on the road notice me more so that I don't get run over. The PIAA Arrow White Bulb is going into the Low-Beam and the PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow is going into the Hi-Beam. The Yoshimura Race Stand Stoppers will come in handy for my first oil change. Also have Clear Lamin-X for the headlights on order that will be arriving tomorrow. I didn't notice the bike had city lights until I brought her home. So need to decide which bulbs to go with for those that would match the other bulbs. I have some high quality wedge bulbs at home already, may try those out.

Haven't decided what my next upgrades will be yet. For now just wanted to get this simple stuff out of the way and will focus on improving my riding before I think about doing any performance upgrades. Still on the fence about a Fender Eliminator Kit. Don't want to get pulled over for something as stupid as not having the rear license plate lit or not having rear side reflectors.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yesterday I received my first set of mods in the mail. Nothing major as you can see. Upgrading the headlights in hopes of increasing my visibility and so that others on the road notice me more so that I don't get run over. The PIAA Arrow White Bulb is going into the Low-Beam and the PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow is going into the Hi-Beam. The Yoshimura Race Stand Stoppers will come in handy for my first oil change. Also have Clear Lamin-X for the headlights on order that will be arriving tomorrow. I didn't notice the bike had city lights until I brought her home. So need to decide which bulbs to go with for those that would match the other bulbs. I have some high quality wedge bulbs at home already, may try those out.

Haven't decided what my next upgrades will be yet. For now just wanted to get this simple stuff out of the way and will focus on improving my riding before I think about doing any performance upgrades. Still on the fence about a Fender Eliminator Kit. Don't want to get pulled over for something as stupid as not having the rear license plate lit or not having rear side reflectors.

I wouldn't be as worried about getting pulled over for a fender eliminator than I would be for putting a bulb that probably wasnt designed for the headlight reflector and throwing light all over the place... :)

get some projectors.... :)

anyways bike looks good..... keep on modding.... :cool:

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I wouldn't be as worried about getting pulled over for a fender eliminator than I would be for putting a bulb that probably wasnt designed for the headlight reflector and throwing light all over the place... :)

get some projectors.... :)

anyways bike looks good..... keep on modding.... :cool:
Changing one halogen bulb for another halogen bulb does not change how much light the housing will be directing at other drivers. The housing is still doing its job of putting light where it's supposed to be. Now if you put an HID kit into a housing that was built for halogens, that's when you'll get a bunch of glare that will irritate other drivers since halogen bulbs don't operate the same as HID bulbs. If what you are saying is true, then manufacturers like PIAA and Sylvania wouldn't have DOT approved, aftermarket halogen lighting upgrades that produce whiter light output, like the bulbs I purchased. Sylvania has been selling SilverStar bulbs for years now with DOT approval with no issue.

Swapping halogen bulbs is a cheap and easy way of improving lighting without having to upgrade to HID's with projectors which isn't what I want to do just yet due to cost and knowledge of the bike, but is something I may do in the long run. I'm not like some cheap ricer that put an HID kit in their civic racing down the street blinding oncoming traffic. I've been in the import scene long enough to know how to do a lighting upgrade properly. I'm an Admin on a popular Acura board where this debate has occurred numerous times and the consensus has always been exactly how I've described it, but I appreciate your comments.

Thanks for the kind words about the bike. :)

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice bike! ;) Do what I and many others have done, take it slow, build up the confidence, and you will be out and about riding easier in no time.
Great advice and is what I plan to do. I haven't ventured on the freeway yet. Want to ensure that I have all of the other skills mastered as well as I can before I get up to higher speeds and around more vehicles. Right now I'm sticking to back roads where there is minimal traffic so that I can practice all of the various skills required to ride a bike.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Higher OTD price but you sure soaked em for some quality gear, I am assuming it was included in the $6595... congrats man
Well, when you subtract the $250 costco card they are sending me, I actually paid $5,265 for the bike. Bringing the total, including gear and accessories to $6,345. Is $5,265 higher than what others paid OTD? Out here in so cal, most of the larger shops have their bikes listed at $6,500 which included some ridiculous delivery fees without any haggling. I thought I got a decent deal. Oh well, so long as I made up for it with all that gear I guess it's not so bad. And the shop said they'd always give me 15% off any accessory I want in the future which should come in handy for maintenance stuff.

I know most wouldn't count the $250 as part of the OTD pricing, but I do only because I would have spent that money at Costco before the end of the year anyway so it's really just a shift in fund distribution as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Re: And so it begins...

Can you get a ticket for not having side reflectors in ca?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Can you get a ticket for not having side reflectors in ca?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I guess it depends on the cop, but after reading the CHP regulations for motorcycles, they list the 'reflector' information as a requirement in the table of contents, but then state the following regarding reflectors:

Reflectors on Front and Sides (24608, 24609 VC). Any vehicle may be equipped with white or amber reflectors on the front, one amber reflector on each side as far forward as practicable, and one red reflector on each side as far aft as practicable. The reflectors shall be mounted between 15 and 60 inches above the roadway. Additional reflectors may be mounted at any height. Area reflectorizing material may be used in lieu of the permitted reflectors provided photometric requirements are met.
Sounds like it's open for interpretation, but the fact that it says "may" instead of "shall" implies it may not required. There is a CHP office a block from my work, I should just go in there and ask them.

Here is the link to the CHP website regarding motor driven bikes and their requirements: http://www.chp.ca.gov/publications/pdf/chp888.pdf

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Finally got around to doing my first oil change on the 300 yesterday. While I was at it, also installed the PIAA Arrow Star White and PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow headlight bulbs I previously posted about, along with some yellow city light bulbs. I wouldn't say it was a huge improvement in lighting, but the light is whiter and very close to an HID kit in color temperature which I'm hoping will improve visibility. The yellow city lights turned out much better than I expected they would.

Went for a few rides this weekend totaling about 87 miles with the last ride being a 40 mile round trip visit to a moto shop to pick up a set of Alpinestars SMX-1 riding boots.

Bike now has 229 miles and I'm starting to push her a little harder both in speed and rpms. Been getting much better at braking, also have been practicing hard braking. Turning and awareness of speed leading into turns still needs a lot of work, but I know I'll get there.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If i would of known the bulb size was H7, i would of kept my hids from my car b4 i sold it, lol
Even if you had, the only way you should install HIDs is to retrofit projectors so that you don't blind other drivers/riders. Here is a post I made on another ninja forum about the proper way to improve lighting:

Sly Raskal said:
You can't go wrong with upgrading to a set of aftermarket halogen bulbs (like PIAA or Sylvania) so long as the the color temperature is as close as possible to 4300K. Aftermarket Halogen bulbs aren't necessarily 'brighter' than HID and some HID kits are worse than halogen bulbs. It's all about the color temperature that determines light output. The best OEM HID kits on the market target 4300K for the color temperature because it is the whitest light possible, providing the best visibility. The higher the color temperature, the more blue you introduce, with the worst kits being purple and pink. Anything above 5000K is pointless and gets more and more unsafe as you further increase the color temperature. Anything between 2500K and 4300K is ideal. However, for driving through fog, light that is more yellow in color works the best.

The mistake that most people make is assuming that going HID is the only way to go if you want better visibility. Don't get me wrong, the addition of a projector setup with HID's is great, they operate at a lower wattage, reducing draw on your battery/alternator and the HID bulbs tend to last a lot longer. However, adding the HID kit requires modification of your headlight housing, addition of projectors, installation of ballasts, which adds other reliabilty and maintenance issues. The housing could form condensation if not re-sealed properly, or the ballast could go bad and you have to then worry about replacing it. All of these issues in my opinion make the PIAA or Sylvania aftermarket halogen upgrades a great alternative for those that want better light output, without the hassle of modifying their bike to support the HID system.

After I become more familiar with my bike, and if I feel comfortable going with an HID setup, I may go the HID route, but for now, I have a set of PIAA Arrow White bulbs (4250K) that I will be installing in the low-beam. And a set of PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow bulbs (2500K) that I will be installing in the high beam... http://www.ninja300....gins/#entry2203 Of course only one bulb is needed per side, so I will have one spare for each side.
I also plan on upgrading the city light bulbs so that they match the color temperature of the other bulbs as well.

Whatever you do, don't ever install an HID system into a housing intended for halogens. In doing so, you'll do nothing but increase glare and blind oncoming traffic, making for a much unsafer riding condition for yourself. If you go with an aftermarket HID system, the only way to do it right is to retrofit projectors into the headlamp housing to keep the light focused on the ground instead of in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not trying to be an @$$ but turn your wheels all the way to the left next time when you park/have the kickstand on. A guy from my MSF class today dropped the bike because he had his front wheel straight while on kickstand.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Not trying to be an @$$ but turn your wheels all the way to the left next time when you park/have the kickstand on. A guy from my MSF class today dropped the bike because he had his front wheel straight while on kickstand.
Thanks for the concern. I always park my bike the way you describe. The first pics in this thread are from the morning I went to take care of all of the paperwork for the purchase. The salesman brought the bike out for me to see and parked it as you see in the pics. I didn't pick up the bike until a couple hours after those pics were taken.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
You can have your wheel turned all the way to the right, it doesnt matter one bit..... that wont make it fall from the kickstand. I would say it fell as the kickstand wasnt out properly or he had it on uneven or loose ground.

It is better to have it turned to the left in its lockable position, but having it in another position will not make it fall.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts