Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ;)

These days, I changed the oil on my motorcycle for the first time.
In the manual, it is indicated that the quantity is 2.2 liters (with oil filter change)
But after putting in the amount indicated by the manual, I realized that it was still below the level on the marker on the engine.:unsure:
I ended up putting about 200ml more to reach the level.
I was curious to know if this is normal, it's my first bike.

Also (and may be related) I live in Brazil. Here, the Ninja 300 is reputed to cause a lot of problems with the crankshaft.
There is a lot of debate on the internet. I don't understand much about mechanics, but I believe that crankshaft problems can be linked to a lack of oil, correct?

As it is an international forum, I would like to know if Ninja 300 has the same fame around the world or just in Brazil.

Thank you ;)

· Registered
403 Posts
To be honest, I have never had great luck with measuring oil volumetrically when adding it in for an oil change. Some oil changes you get a little more or a little less out, depending on the slope of your work surface, if you drained the oil while the engine was hot (which you should, but isn't a hard requirement) and how long you let it drip.

What is more important is that the oil level is indeed reading as full in the window on the clutch cover, like you did. What is also important is that you have changed the filter as well, especially if you didn't change it last oil change, but I would also recommend changing it every time you change oil as well.

It behooves me to tell you also to make sure you check the engine oil level when the bike has both tires on the ground on a level surface, and then you manually hold the bike upright. You probably knew this, but I'd hate for you to have issues because of that. This also goes for topping off the oil. If you need help, have a friend hold the motorcycle upright, while you pour in the last bit of oil.

As for the crankshaft, I have ridden my N300 to almost 90,000kms, and have no crankshaft problems. My other friends who own Ninja 300's also have had no crankshaft issues. Not to say the problem does not exist, certainly not. But as long as you keep the oil (and coolant for that matter) full, the engine will almost certainly stay happy. My friends are quite good about checking their oil and coolant.

Keep the engine oil to the full mark, and make sure there is coolant in the reservoir in the front right fairing under the handlebar. Every ride. Takes 5 seconds to check. Make sure you don't overfill either, you could foam the oil and get oil starvation causing damage as well. I bet if you run low on oil, first thing to die is probably crankshaft or rod bearings, but fortunately I don't speak from experience.

Hope this helps! Good on you for doing your own oil changes.

-Mike

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest, I have never had great luck with measuring oil volumetrically when adding it in for an oil change. Some oil changes you get a little more or a little less out, depending on the slope of your work surface, if you drained the oil while the engine was hot (which you should, but isn't a hard requirement) and how long you let it drip.

What is more important is that the oil level is indeed reading as full in the window on the clutch cover, like you did. What is also important is that you have changed the filter as well, especially if you didn't change it last oil change, but I would also recommend changing it every time you change oil as well.

It behooves me to tell you also to make sure you check the engine oil level when the bike has both tires on the ground on a level surface, and then you manually hold the bike upright. You probably knew this, but I'd hate for you to have issues because of that. This also goes for topping off the oil. If you need help, have a friend hold the motorcycle upright, while you pour in the last bit of oil.

As for the crankshaft, I have ridden my N300 to almost 90,000kms, and have no crankshaft problems. My other friends who own Ninja 300's also have had no crankshaft issues. Not to say the problem does not exist, certainly not. But as long as you keep the oil (and coolant for that matter) full, the engine will almost certainly stay happy. My friends are quite good about checking their oil and coolant.

Keep the engine oil to the full mark, and make sure there is coolant in the reservoir in the front right fairing under the handlebar. Every ride. Takes 5 seconds to check. Make sure you don't overfill either, you could foam the oil and get oil starvation causing damage as well. I bet if you run low on oil, first thing to die is probably crankshaft or rod bearings, but fortunately I don't speak from experience.

Hope this helps! Good on you for doing your own oil changes.

-Mike
Many thanks for your advices!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts