Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just received my Alpinestars Jaws Perforated Leather Jacket and I was wondering for those of you that have Alpinestars jackets if it is okay to get the regular $40 bionic back protector or if you think I should just go ahead and get the race level one that snaps in? And the reason I jump to the race level one rather than the Bionic Air is because free shipping on MotorcycleGear is at $89 meaning that if I were to get the Air it would be 10 bucks just for shipping, making it 10 bucks less than the upgrade to the race level which would be free shipping. I don't want to spend much but I want to know if the jacket is still comfortable with the regular one because it looks thick.

I appreciate any help, thanks guys.

P.S. I got the jacket from motorcycle gear and have $30 store credit from getting the jacket plus another $10 that I already have on credit, so that is why I would buy from them instead of Revzilla or something with that awesome $39 free shipping.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I got the bio one that is inserted into the jacket and think its perfect for the money. I haven't tried the race style one though so I can't comment to that one.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the bio one that is inserted into the jacket and think its perfect for the money. I haven't tried the race style one though so I can't comment to that one.
Okay cool, yeah I actually decided that it should be fine because it will be technically free, but you just reiterated that for me so thank you haha

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the bionic back protector insert in my jacket too. It's a very good price and you just put it in and forget about it. The Bionic Air offers better protection but is another step when gearing up just like Lesta says but some riders may get lazy at times to strap it on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also have the insert. Good price and feels comfortable enough that i forget its there. Bends well when I'm in a highway tuck.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I had a A* bio armor insert but I found it too stiff and hard. Granted, it was a lot better than the RC armor insert I had before but it could've been better.

I just got this http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-d3o-viper-t5-pro-back-protector to replace the bio armor insert. Doesn't cost much more than the bio armor insert but is Level 2 CE armor (bio armor insert is only Level 1) and very thin and flexible. Yes, it's not A* specific but hey, I've put both of those inserts in my Icon jacket without a problem. You can also trim to fit if needed.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree...lls_in_apparel/d30_/ce_approved_back_pad.html
I think that's the same one on motorcyclegear.

Overall, you just gotta ask yourself if you can realistically remember to put on a strap-on back protector and if it fits well into what you will do with the bike. If you go somewhere on the bike where having that additional armor to take care of might be an inconvenience, it's all too easy to skip wearing it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I had a A* bio armor insert but I found it too stiff and hard. Granted, it was a lot better than the RC armor insert I had before but it could've been better.

I just got this http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-d3o-viper-t5-pro-back-protector to replace the bio armor insert. Doesn't cost much more than the bio armor insert but is Level 2 CE armor (bio armor insert is only Level 1) and very thin and flexible. Yes, it's not A* specific but hey, I've put both of those inserts in my Icon jacket without a problem. You can also trim to fit if needed.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree...lls_in_apparel/d30_/ce_approved_back_pad.html

Overall, you just gotta ask yourself if you can realistically remember to put on a strap-on back protector and if it fits well into what you will do with the bike. If you go somewhere on the bike where having that additional armor to take care of might be an inconvenience, it's all too easy to skip wearing it.
It's actually not to bad wearing it you don't even really notice it cause it contours with your back so nicely as far as remembering I just put it right next to my helmet and gloves so I always remember as far as being in the way for having additional armor it fits in the insert of both my jackets and feels like the inserts that came with the jacket originally

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

I am familiar with D3O as I have MMA gloves with it and it is awesome. I didn't think about putting in a different back insert that wasn't from alpinestars... I already ordered the other protector so I am going to see how it fits/feels and then decide whether or not to exchange it. The D3O protector on motorcycle gear isn't available for shipment till late march anyways. But thank you very much for showing me that! Oh and straps? I got the one that is an insert, and the race level protector snaps into the jacket so it is not separate, you just need to put the straps around your waist, but it stays connected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts