Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today in my neighborhood coming back from an hour ride around town, I was going straight on my road about 20 mph and all of a sudden my front tire got all squirelly and almost caused me to lose control and drop it. Luckily I regained control and kept driving. Not sure why it happened, no oil and no water, maybe some small sand. The road is a little bit different in this 10 foot spot for some reason.

Also on the interstate at about 80 mph I noticed my front tire felt a little wobbly too, might have been the road since it doesn't do it all the time.

Oh another time I was in stop and go traffic and I wasn't fully paying attention and almost rear ended a car, came within inches of their bumper. I gotta pay more attention even at slow speed.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Could be head bearings. Every bike I've owned needed bearings replaced or the bolt tightened. It's a matter of when, and not if. Still, the road surface can make huge differences in handling. Look up on YouTube how to check for head bearing problems. All good mechanics check for this every time they service your bike too. I have a pre-paid service plan on my Gixxer 1000 and they have already tightened the head bolt after noticing it needed it.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Could be head bearings. Every bike I've owned needed bearings replaced or the bolt tightened. It's a matter of when, and not if. Still, the road surface can make huge differences in handling. Look up on YouTube how to check for head bearing problems. All good mechanics check for this every time they service your bike too. I have a pre-paid service plan on my Gixxer 1000 and they have already tightened the head bolt after noticing it needed it.
I also don't necessarily think this is a steering head bearing issue. Get it checked to be sure, never hurts to be safe. If there was even a light coating of sand on your road, it could really cause the front to wander badly. The road I turned into for my apartment complex when I lived in AZ always had a light layer of sand and my cruiser would feel like it's all over the place. Get the head bearings checked as others have said to ensure it's tight and doesn't have too much play in it. When you find out what it is, share it with the rest of the class. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rode it today and looked at the spot it happened, there was a bunch of dirt and sand in that spot so I will just avoid that area and the bike ran great today, no issues. Even threw it around side to side and didn't notice any wobble.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ya i would bet on a bad patch of road. Anytime the road changes be careful. Even grooves in a road can make your tire follow the groove and mess you up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts