Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Having got the all clear from the family, looking forward to joining the ranks of Ninja 300 owners sometime this coming spring :)

Last time I rode a motorbike I was 14; now am in my late 40s. But the performance, fuel economy and just fun associated has tempted me back. My backup ride is a stick shift sporty car, but all that weight just to ferry me to and from work seems highly inefficient!

Anyway, first step, of course, is getting the basic MSF riders training. THEN the ninja. Wish me luck :)

A couple of questions to existing owners:
- I am 5'11", 190lbs. Will the 300 still be able to keep up on the highways around here (75 mph avg speed) with my weight on it?
- How well does the ABS work ? Haven't seen any reviews of the ABS system...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Im 5'10 and 90kg which is 198lb and the bikes got plenty of go
As for ABS i got talked out of it by a few mates and the the place i bought the bike from.
The advise i was given was put the money your going to spend on ABS in a training course to learn to ride properly

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
im about 178 centimeters tall and weigh about 72 kilograms dripping wet, the ninja 300 i test rode a few weeks ago was perfect for me.it didnt have abs, but i have ordered a 300 SE ABS and if the ABS on the ninja is half as good as the BMW1200RS and BMWK1200LT i owned , then it will be well worth it.im looking forward to getting my bike in a few weeks time and i wish you well.

i might suggest you get two books to read

twist of the wrist and twist of the wrist two both written by keith code, worth their weight in gold and you can get them in pdf as well

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, reading everything I can get my hands on :)
Already read through "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough and got Twist of the Wrist 2.
Also been reading the various new rider tips from Sportrider magazine etc, though being more careful to not treat all those as gospel.

Don't understand people's objections to ABS. I consider it essential on my car, why wouldn't I want it on a motorcycle where the consequences of locking up a wheel and/or losing traction are so much more severe? I understand that it is not available on all bikes, but if it is available ...

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
You're basically the same height and weight as me. When I rode the bike home, it was ripping at 75+MPH nonstop for about 15 miles. You'll be fine!

ABS is definitely a good tool to have. People can get all the training they want, but if you aren't using your brakes to the fullest, if ever you get into a sticky situation, it could be the difference of life and death. There was actually an article about how a rider (I believe female, and she passed away) in an accident on a side street when a car cut her off. I can't remember where the diagram came from, but basically, if she utilized her brakes to the fullest, she could've stopped in time.

The 300's brakes aren't as strong as supersports, or superbikes, but if ever you get cut off, your SR (Survival Reaction) is to GRAB brake. Definitely nice to know that ABS will keep you from locking up the brakes and making the situation worse.

There's a reason more and more bikes are coming with ABS these days (and mostly big, fast bikes - including GP bikes), and I believe they are trying to put it into law to mandate it. I'd put money on it that a rider who grabs a whole load of brake (and smashes a whole load of brake with their foot) that has a good ABS system will outbreak or equally brake a more experienced rider who thinks they know the absolute limit. It is what the system is intended to do. I can't attest to the 300's system, but, Kawi knows what they're doing (ie ZX10R) so I'd trust it.

The movie, Twist of the Wrist 2 is a good watch, and I believe you can even find it on YouTube still. It is more orientated towards track riding, but good tips for the street. As you said, do not treat these books like they are the Bible - They are there to help teach you. What you don't want is to get on a bike and have a hundred things rolling through your head thinking "Am I doing this right, oh I forgot this tip, and that, and this...etc" because then you can't focus. Take it step by step. I still catch myself doing something silly (Like target fixation) every now and then but you just have to train yourself. Experience will get you there, not by reading a book. Useful tools, but don't eat-sleep-breath by them.

Reactions: JackFrost

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi all,

Having got the all clear from the family, looking forward to joining the ranks of Ninja 300 owners sometime this coming spring :)

Last time I rode a motorbike I was 14; now am in my late 40s. But the performance, fuel economy and just fun associated has tempted me back. My backup ride is a stick shift sporty car, but all that weight just to ferry me to and from work seems highly inefficient!

Anyway, first step, of course, is getting the basic MSF riders training. THEN the ninja. Wish me luck :)

A couple of questions to existing owners:
- I am 5'11", 190lbs. Will the 300 still be able to keep up on the highways around here (75 mph avg speed) with my weight on it?
- How well does the ABS work ? Haven't seen any reviews of the ABS system...
Welcome!

I feel I can shed a lot of light on your questions, as I am also 5'11'' and 190lbs and got the ABS model.

First off, good call getting your MSF training before getting the bike!

The bike has no problem keeping up at 75mph on the freeways, and is even very docile and relatively quiet (it will carry you up to 100+ mph as quickly as any entry level sports car)

As for ABS, it is no replacement for good braking skill, but is statistically proven to be an invaluable safety feature.

Some dealers also tried to talk me out of an ABS model...guess which ones?

Answer: The dealers WITHOUT ABS bikes, don't want you to buy one. :mad:

The ones who have both models will give you REAL advice. Don't skip on the most important safety feature on this class of bikes (faster bikes benefit from traction control).

Good luck with your purchase and ride safe!

·
Registered
286 Posts
The ABS is absolutely seamless on these bikes. I've engaged it a couple of times from getting cut off, and either the brakes are better than I thought, or you can't even feel the ABS kicking in. I'm going with the latter...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
280 Posts
Lucky your family approves! Most hate bikes, but I guess if your smart you'll be fine just gotta watch out for the assholes haha. I remember I had to hide my cbr600 from my parents haha ooooh fun times ;)
Anyways good luck to you and ride safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remember being retroactively forbidden from parachuting by my parents back when I was 21. Yeah, of course I only told them after I had done it :)

My adrenalin junkie days are long over, and have always been sensible about it. After all, still around to talk about it ;). Family and kids and I understand the risks, and of course the life insurance stuff has been taken care of just in case the worst happens. It is all about being adult and sensible. We can't control all things, least of all the various "assholes" around, but like in the other parts of life I guess the trick is to manage the distance & interactions with them so that as much as possible it happens on your terms.
When in doubt, slow down, back off, take another road.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Everything that GenPatton says is exactly what I was going to say (and I'm 5'11'' & 190lbs and I have the ABS model) Also don't forget to invest in good gear. Everybody spends all their money on the bike and all their "mods" but they won't do you any good if you end up sliding down the road. I only ride for fun, and when I do, I wear a full face helmet, full race suit with gloves, boots and body armor. And don't forget to have fun :D

Reactions: JackFrost
1 - 11 of 11 Posts