Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new rider this is a two part question.

1) Where is the air filter located on the Ninja 300 exactly?

2) What is the best type of filter?

Ok for the second question, I am not talking about brands and I do not want to start a brand war, this is simply a question asking what TYPE of filter would best suit my needs I will describe below. I know the K&N type (call it paper or whatever) and then I believe there is a UNI which is more like a sponge.

Im not looking for more power, simply a better filter than stock. I live in Las Vegas and when it gets windy we get alot of dust blowing around expecially lately. The winds are random and I usually try to avoid riding if its above 30mph however that is not always possible. That being said, for my riding conditions would a sponge type filter be more effective at blocking this crap from getting into the motor? I remember reading that K&N type filters flow better at the expense of filtering less, is it the same story for the UNI?

·
Registered
958 Posts
The Ninja 300 uses a foam-type air filter that can be cleaned and re-used. There are YouTube videos showing you how to clean and re-use the 250r air filter, what to use, and how to re-oil the filter. A lot of people prefer after-market paper or fiber filters with the K&N a popular one. I generally stay with oem products, and most likely will clean, re-oil, then re-use the oem filter.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The paper filters allow a much greater airflow but have a tendency to allow more dust and particulates through than a sponge type filter. For a dusty environment, I would recommend staying with the OEM filter or one like it. It wont allow more air through and increase airflow, but it will do a better job keeping out that light dust that builds up in that area. Had the same issue in AZ where there was sand and dust everywhere and it got in everything.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the quick posts. Looks like ill be staying with the OEM foam, maybe down the road if it gets a little too used a UNI will be in the works. Again, thank you for the information

·
Registered
292 Posts
The paper filters allow a much greater airflow but have a tendency to allow more dust and particulates through than a sponge type filter. For a dusty environment, I would recommend staying with the OEM filter or one like it. It wont allow more air through and increase airflow, but it will do a better job keeping out that light dust that builds up in that area. Had the same issue in AZ where there was sand and dust everywhere and it got in everything.
You got that backwards, paper is the most restrictive with the foam being the least restrictive.
The reason for getting the K&N foam filter is because of the higher flow rate and reasons for not getting it are because it doesn't filter as well.

Edit: mis-spoke about the K&N, it's a cotton gauze filter. My statements stand true otherwise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You got that backwards, paper is the most restrictive with the foam being the least restrictive.
The reason for getting the K&N foam filter is because of the higher flow rate and reasons for not getting it are because it doesn't filter as well.

Edit: mis-spoke about the K&N, it's a cotton gauze filter. My statements stand true otherwise.
So with the OEM being foam, for my driving conditions a paper filter would prove more effective in catching the particulates and such? Not worried about power because honestly changing the filter isnt going to do much if anything on this bike as far as performance, i just dont want all this crap getting in places it shouldnt. I thought foam was the most restrictive as I see numerous dirt bikes and quads running the uni at the dunes.

·
Registered
292 Posts
So with the OEM being foam, for my driving conditions a paper filter would prove more effective in catching the particulates and such? Not worried about power because honestly changing the filter isnt going to do much if anything on this bike as far as performance, i just dont want all this crap getting in places it shouldnt. I thought foam was the most restrictive as I see numerous dirt bikes and quads running the uni at the dunes.
Off road vehicles typically don't use paper because it can break easily if it gets wet, You also can't re-use a paper filter.
Paper will filter better than anything else while restricting to most air flow, but the air restriction shouldn't be that noticeable.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Off road vehicles typically don't use paper because it can break easily if it gets wet, You also can't re-use a paper filter.
Paper will filter better than anything else while restricting to most air flow, but the air restriction shouldn't be that noticeable.
Yep my bad. :) When I was saying paper I meant the woven fiber filters. I haven't seen an actual paper filter for automotive use in a long time. Hell haven't seen them for a while except for cheap vacuums.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts