Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my gear shifter after it got bent. I was able to bend it back but I was not happy with it. I took a gamble and bought an aftermarket gear shift lever from Ebay for $22.95 . The picture looked similar to ours until it was delivered.

The aftermarket shift lever had a male attachment for the shift rod as opposed to a female coupler. I contacted the vendor and he mentioned that this is the correct one and the photo was not accurate.

with that, I went to the hardware store and bought the following:

6mm Nut Coupler
1/4" 28 thread count Nut Coupler (found out later that the thread is different at the end that attaches to the tranny - also reversed thread)
6mm X 80mm machine screw w/ cheese head ( cut head of screw )
Carbon Fiber Tube ( fit over threads )
7/16" grade 6 washer ( had to ream to fit screw - used a Unibit)

I'm very please with the aftermarket shift lever. The quality is so much better and lighter than stock and it's also retractable.

Cheers!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This looks nice i will be buying this now :D
Thanks for the info on the hardware.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I forgot to say that I cut the threads from the stock shift rod at the tranny end and super glued in to the 1/4" 28 nut coupler. The 6mm screw that goes into the 1/4" nut coupler was also super glued.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Looks good & as a side note I think a folding tip on the shifter is a great idea.

I have a morbid curiosity to look at many crashed Ninja 250/300's here at the Kawasaki dealership awaiting parts.
Any of them that fell or slid on the shifter side of the bike really made a mess.

I mean anything from bent to tore off completely & then some
I tend to think the folding tip may help it to not catch as easily

·
Registered
7 Posts
Damnit! Wish I would've read this a week earlier. Bent my shift lever just a little bit and pried it back to the normal position with a wrench. Bought a single piece of a new shift lever for FOURTY FRIGGING BUCKS! Not even the whole thing, just the 'chrome' metal piece that you see on the OEM.

Urghh.... Are you finding the aftermarket to be superior to the OEM?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts