Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know, most of you are probably like 5 years wtf, but I have been busy with work and life and unfortunately haven't really had the time to get around to taking care of things. I just got some time to get around to tending to her and fired up the 300 after a couple years of it sitting, I did do some occasional startups here and there which I'm not sure might of caused more harm then good. Bike has 3600 miles on it.

I noticed some drippage on the floor and after looking online seems like it could possibly be a issue with the water pumps mechanical seal. I looked under the bike and did notice a drip coming from that area. I changed the oil, drained the old fuel/refilled with fresh and flushed the coolant and she fired right up and doesnt seem to be leaking from the water pump area anymore. When I was flushing the coolant though, I noticed that no matter how many times I flushed it there was always white specks visible in the filler neck and floating in the drained coolant along with some black specks that look like paint or rubber. Once I place the coolant in a container there's some of these white specks left behind on the drain pan. When I rub a finger across it, its like a powder consistency. I'm unsure if this is from the old coolant sitting in there for so long or related to another issue. Also on some drains I would notice some tiny metal flakes.

I'm not super mechanically inclined but not scared to get my hands dirty. I'm guessing I'm looking to hear how bad things here look. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what’s coming out of the cooling system along with the coolant when I flush it. I did about 3 flushes and I kept getting that stuff floating in the coolant.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Flush the system out with distilled water and let it warm up till the therm opens, a couple times. It might be corrosion that is flaking off and coming out. Vinegar might help with corrosion removal if that's what it is. You might have to do it a lot, but warming up the bike helps dislodge the particles.

Im actually going to pull my radiator out here when I do my flush, I need to clean the fins anyway, and might as well get a good look in it while its out. After the flushes, no particles should be coming out, so if I was you, I would go get a bunch of distilled water! Don't be afraid to flush it out multiple times, and be careful when draining warm coolant, it will be under pressure.

Maybe the sealant used around your water pump is disintegrating? Doesn't usually happen, but I guess it could.

-Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, yea I flushed it out with water/vinegar twice letting the the fan kick on twice each time before draining. Then with distilled water 3x, then with Prestone 50/50 coolant and drained that once more before filling it one last time with coolant so it would drain out the last of the distilled water in the system and be as close to the 50/50 premix. But a lot of that stuff still came out on that last drain.

Guess I’ll have to go pick up some more distilled water then and run a couple more flushes. Would you recommend something like a Prestone flush formula or would that be too strong and possibly damage seals and stuff?

Also as far as the water pump goes, can I pull that all out in one piece if I have a complete replacement or do I need to take the cover off like it shows in the FSM?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts