Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my first bike - 2014 kawasaki 300 se for reference. i am 5'2, havent rode yet. my motorcycle training course is in 2 days. all ive done is sit on the bike and i barely touch the ground and toe tapping seems extremely uncomfortable. whats the best way to have it lowered? i dont want to consider shaving the seat. i also heard lowering the actual bike is dangerous (?).

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
Welcome to the forum Saramalobo. There have been some recent threads about this. Do a search on 'suspension links' or 'dog bones' and you'll find some info.
It looks, however, that it's not easy to find these links at an affordable price.
Some people made cut their own links. I guess a bike shop may do that or lead you on where to do it in your area.

Basically, you have to change the stock links with longer ones and that will lower the bike. You can lower the bike one inch, probably two without compromising the safety of the ride.

Good luck with the MSF Post back to tell how it went.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm also a short rider (5'6" - and with short legs, even for my height!). This question comes up a lot because people want to flat foot a bike - and I can understand that. The reality is I can't flat foot anything (with exception of my Honda Helix scooter), but I don't ever need to! With minimal experience you'll soon learn how to do the slight 'shift' off the seat at stops. Left foot goes down flat, right foot stays on rear brake and bike is slightly tilted to the left. It's easy, it's safe and it prevents you having to go through the process of lowering the bike. Give it a try.

Reactions: jkv45

·
Registered
622 Posts
got my first bike - 2014 kawasaki 300 se for reference. i am 5'2, havent rode yet. my motorcycle training course is in 2 days. all ive done is sit on the bike and i barely touch the ground and toe tapping seems extremely uncomfortable. whats the best way to have it lowered? i dont want to consider shaving the seat. i also heard lowering the actual bike is dangerous (?).
Those are your choices.

I personally don't like lowering the suspension. Unless you do it properly and evenly, front to back, you can easily create handling issues.

I would suggest finding a used seat and cutting the foam. That is the best way to lower the height IMO.

As noted above, you really don't need to "flat foot". Keeping the cycle balanced, you can just touch your toe down when stopped, or slide off the seat to one side. I never put both feet down when stopped

·
Administrator
2,694 Posts
Short girl here at 5' 1" with a 28.5" inseam. I can't flat foot anything. I did lower my bike about 1" or so and I've put over 20k miles on it lowered. You do need to lower the front and back the same amount, you also have to get a shorter kickstand. Now, even lowered, I'm only on the balls of my feet, which has always been perfectly fine since that's how I learned to ride. When you get into the class you likely won't be able to flat foot those bikes either, but they will put you on one that's safe and you'll get used to it as the class progresses.

Please come back and let us know how it all goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts