Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok guys i'm reaching the point where the local "backroads" are starting to bore me and i'm ready to cruise on some busier highways. any advice/pointers? or should i take it slowly still in the neighborhood until i'm more seasoned? i've had the bike a week tomorrow and i've put 62 miles on it, just in my neighborhood. while no one has complained yet, i'm sure people are tired of seeing me do laps around the hood lol! :D i went to wendy's today for lunch (it's attached to the busy road that fronts my area of town) and it was super busy and i think i did alright, not the greatest not the worst.

to me it seems a catch 22 like "we're only hiring experienced workers, yet if no one will higher you how can you get experience." what I mean is, i wish to aquire more experience before i attempt it, but the only way to aquire more experience is to attempt it.

PS I received my first official acknowledgement by another biker today... got the rubber side down. it's a little thing to be sure, but it's encouraging to be recognized as a part of the community...

EDIT i should add those 62 miles have been in the last 3 days because for the first part of the week i was so busy with work and tired after, that i took some time off to actually ride it and grow accustomed to it.

· Banned
666 Posts
dude no offense but avoid the hughway. seriously those people r insane. try ur main rode in town but avoid the highways. your body will tell u when its ready for the big 4 lanes

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok what if my main road IS a four lane.. actually more like six lane...

the only place to find non-four+ lanes in FL is to go up north to BFE... which would require a four+ lane road to get there.

· Banned
666 Posts
yeh I remember orlando. I just recommend medium speeds like 50

· Registered
934 Posts
I agree wait till you get some more experiance till you get on highways, but a lot of roads by me are 55 mph roads, and that should be ok.

If you do go go on higher speed roads, or any road for that matter, just leave a LOT of space between you and the people in front of you, just in case. and just be really aware of your surroundings.

learn to use your mirrors effectively, where your blind spot starts and ends.. etc
etc..

Basically, just learn proficiency at these things at lower speeds before getting up to high speeds, because you know, the higher the speed, the less reaction time you have. So these things must be natural, or instinctive to a certain extent.

Just think of how you learned how to drive a car, the steps are the same. You prob dindt, or should of not gone on a highway in the first 60 miles you drove right??

On last word of advice, Confidence. you must have confidence in yourself, your bike, and your ability to react to a situation. Panic is one of the top causes of accidents..

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks yeahl. i didnt mean to indicate the interstate. i called it the highway cause the main drag is a state road here. speed limit is only 45 anyways going west, 50 east towards tampa. and youre right i didnt go on the interstate in the first 60 miles. i waited till i hit 100 lol. had to, for school.

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also ive had a few panic situations just in the neighborhood, and i handled them decently id like to think. be it cars not seeing me around corners, or running stop signs, etc. no worries im not planning on going out just yet ive got some more housekeeping to do, but i can see the line in sight and wanted to be prepared...

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks woomba.

just to be clear: i've no intention of going near the interstate for a long time (a few weeks/months), and when i get comfortable commuting to work, all i have to do is make one turn onto the main road and then it's a straight line for 9 miles and i've arrived...

that said, thanks for everyone's concern for a newbie on the interstate; i do realize it was coming from a good place icon and appreciate that fact.

motorcycling is dangerous enough; no need to add more to the risk envelope before you are ready to manage it right?

· Registered
934 Posts
=D I just want to see you safe man!

I didnt mean to sound pushy. I would say youd prob be good with interstate riding with a week ro two of riding under your belt.

I would however advise you to take the MSF course as soon as possible. Best money I have ever spent!

· Registered
152 Posts
Speed vs. scrums

Hey Rick:

I have the same issue where I live. Basically, I have three parallel roads to choose from to get to most places I need to go (all posted 50+). While I don't mind the speeds, I do mind the scrums that develop on the nearest road - mostly during commute hours.

In my case I start on the main road then move to one of the parallel roads to avoid the crazy parts. Yeah, it may take me 5 minutes more to get to work, but I get to enjoy some quality time with the bike rather than being totally focused on dodging cages.

For me, the zen of it is in finding the ride within the trip.

Oh... and I've only come close to getting nailed twice since I got my 300. Both times it was at 25 mph in my own neighborhood (people blowing through the yield sign at a T intersection).

· Banned
666 Posts
Another hint
If you can afford it add a 15 tooth sprocket
I promise you you will love it
I put mine on i have a useable 1st gear
i can cruise right at the start of my powerband
and the bike just trucks
i have not actually found any downspots in the new sprocket
and def take the MSF course i took it and it will help u with
confidence

· Registered
1,139 Posts
I'm also an advocate of the MSF course if you haven't taken it already. But even so, they can't teach you everything. Best to read everything you can in an attempt to learn from others experience. I've been reading through this: http://www.msgroup.org/articles.aspx?Set=001-035
I have learned quite a bit that they just didn't have time to teach in the MSF course. A lot of the stuff you learn is in the details.

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
by MSF course, i assume you all mean the BRC. Yep i took that way before i even bought the bike; IMHO there's no reason owning a bike if you cannot even legally practice on it. So, I'm legally endorsed, titled, registered, and insured. It was great for what it was, but again, if the only way to aquire the experience is to experience the aquisition, how does one know when the correct point is?

i feel that i am fast approaching that point; not trying to be overconfident or puff up that old ego, just saying i'd like to continue learning while i am eager and open to new knowledge is all.

i've jetted around my local community quite a bit (to lunch, to the library, etc) but to go anywhere else, i'm going to either have to go back to the car, or eventually get on a 4+ lane road because there's little else to see or do in my immediate area; can't even go to the grocery store without crossing an intersection of a major road.

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this might help you visualize my predicament:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Oldsm...dsm&hnear=Oldsmar,+Pinellas,+Florida&t=m&z=15

i live in that cluster of roads wedged next to the water so i have PLENTY of opportunities to practice blind corners, slow speeds, and stop and goes... but to go anywhere else, i gotta hit the real road there... I've been on a road at 40 mph already so i've somewhat tested the waters but it was only 2 lanes and very briefly.

· Banned
666 Posts
Here is a tip that i did when i first started getting used to hwy
find a spot on the highway that has 2 exits within a mile of each other (saying Exit a is the start point exit b is off point)
get on the highway at exit a. Stay in the same lane which will end pretty quickly
but u still will have a minute or 2 of being on the highway
this way you will experience the feeling of your bike in the midst of all the fast moving traffic
get off on exit b. Ride to the stop at the end of the offramp go under then hway and get back on going the opposite way
do this over and over
it sounds stupid however while you are doing it experiment with different placements of your body as in scoot forward, or scoot back practice gripping the tank
learn which gear you can accelerate best from and engine brake as you come off the exit
pretty soon you will see your speed going up while you are on the hwy, you will hold
more speed when you get off, you will set yourself better on your bike
all these things with only a mile of highway riding at a time adds up
i know from personal experience that getting on the highway is almost overwhelming
the first few times (like 100 hehe)
there is a ton of stuff to remember as well as getting yourself set up with proper lane
placement so the big trucks dont blow you off the road
i promise you its not boring as eventually your speed will go up and before long you will be crusing at 55 to the first exit
after a good while of practicing this try and go down two exits so instead of getting off at exit b get off at exit c
this will introduce you to people merging into you from exit b as you try to go by
a VERY important skill
speaking of which i HIGHLY recommend blind spot mirrors
i got mine at walmart for 3 buck
and the trick to them is if you see them in your mirror they are already beside you
do not turn until that mirror is clear
they are VERY close to you if you see them in that mirror
what you are viewing if you have them set properly is your blind spot
so this will aid you alot
if you need any more advice message me i can tell u some other things i have
picked up. Like side tank pads for where you grip with your knees and a few
other tricks

good luck
Icon1k

Reactions: Captain

· Banned
666 Posts
[/quote]i've jetted around my local community quite a bit (to lunch, to the library, etc) but to go anywhere else, i'm going to either have to go back to the car, or eventually get on a 4+ lane road because there's little else to see or do in my immediate area; can't even go to the grocery store without crossing an intersection of a major road.[/QUOTE]

I get what you are saying but trust me once you relax you will be so bored with the car. I am not saying dont get on a 4 lane, my favorite roads are 2 lanes on each side which i call a 4 lane. I was speaking earlier of hwys with 4 lanes on each side so i guess those are 8 lanes, those are ridiculously dangerous esp for noobs like us.

if you are riding the main roads, make sure you guard your lane and use proper lane placement. I highly recommend the 15 tooth sprocket as this will make you much more tractable around town.

Don't forget blind spot mirrors, a good tank pad and a good set of armored gloves.
Don't grip the handlebars too hard, anytime you want to grip harder with your hands, grip the tank harder with your knees
i may start doing those exercises that chicks do where it tightens the inner thighs i can see how that would help alot

Just keep having fun, feel free to come up to tnn ill ride with ya :)
good luck and enjoy your bike
if you have a gps you can program it to go whereever you want without using highways, i have used this feature alot highways are for cars in my opinion everything else is for us :)

One more thing... you are in florida look for a florida meetup group for sportbike riders
i am in one here in knoxville you will find people who actually want to help you get better
the one i am in is really good and they have mini group rides with experienced people who
will critique you if u want and help u get better

Motorcycling is MUCH more than just buying a bike enjoy it bro i love it

Reactions: Rick

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
i bit the bullet just now and just returned from my first experience on a 'real' road. different experience for sure. i was so apprehensive when i first set out i made a few dumb mistakes. nothing serious or life threatening thankfully but learning experiences just the same; it was also super windy on the one route, so i had to practice riding with a stiff breeze; felt like sailboat tacking into the wind. Had to cross some railroad tracks each way so that was a new experience dodging the edge traps. It was also interesting being stuck behind a convertible and looking down at the lady from behind lol. after i finished my tasks (i made it a practical trip; bought lunch for work tomorrow, gamestop, etc) and had a chance to let the adrenaline calm down, the return trip home was much smoother, more 'relaxed', more focused. no mistakes, had to change lanes, take on some edge traps, etc. all in all, i'm glad i finally faced the fear so to speak because now i know i can safely get around town.

icon's right. i don't want to use the car much anymore =)

· Banned
666 Posts
rock on!
Glad to help i tell u every time i get in the car
im like **** this thing is slow!
its alot of fun and as you get more and more comfortable
you will enjoy it more and more
good luck and glad you are having a blast!

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yup. once i get some experience riding by dark i will definitely be wanting to ride to work (i have to BE at work at 0400 so...) lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.