Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a spill at the track a couple weeks ago and one of my gloves ripped at the seams.

I'm going to buy the Alpinestars SP-1 to replace my old gloves but I can't decide between Medium and Large. The M fit my hand VERY snug. When I make a fist I feel pressure on my knuckles (not quite pain but close). The L are a more comfortable fit but there is some extra room in the finger tips of my thumb and index finger, which I don't love.

What do you guys think would be best? I'm going crazy over here trying to decide...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I took a spill at the track a couple weeks ago and one of my gloves ripped at the seams.

I'm going to buy the Alpinestars SP-1 to replace my old gloves but I can't decide between Medium and Large. The M fit my hand VERY snug. When I make a fist I feel pressure on my knuckles (not quite pain but close). The L are a more comfortable fit but there is some extra room in the finger tips of my thumb and index finger, which I don't love.

What do you guys think would be best? I'm going crazy over here trying to decide...
I know the feeling. It sucks. I would like to say that you should go with the mediums and let them break in. There will be break in, but it will be quite minimal, considering the leather doesn't start to rip at the seams. Seems like the large would be a better, more comfortable choice. The extra space for your fingertips is actually wiggle room for when you ball your hand into a fist. I'm guessing since you're a track guy, fit is a major concern. It certainly is for me. Have you considered other brands? Maybe Dianese?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would suggest a third option.. try on a different glove model/brand entirely. It sounds like neither size fits you. The Medium would stretch/break in after a while.. but maybe not as much as you need.

I know how you feel, though, you like those SP-1 gloves at that price. But fit is everything. More than once I've gotten tunnel vision and compromised on fit, and I end up disappointed later. It's the items I buy in spite of their price that really fit and work that I still enjoy using everyday.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Another option;

Revzilla is fantastic about returns. Order both sizes and try on both. It should be clear which is better. Return the pair you don't use but don't ride with them, just try 'em on at home.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Another option;

Revzilla is fantastic about returns. Order both sizes and try on both. It should be clear which is better. Return the pair you don't use but don't ride with them, just try 'em on at home.
If I read the OP correctly, I think he did that already. He tried both gloves on physically.

Personally, I hate being between sizes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I read the OP correctly, I think he did that already. He tried both gloves on physically.

Yeah I bought both sizes planning to return the one that didn't fit. I think I might stick with the medium and hope they stretch out a little bit.

I did take a look at other brands, but the price/quality of these is perfect...hopefully I won't regret it later!

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

Yep, it does seem that way. Oops!

·
Registered
248 Posts
When I got my gloves I could barely get my hands in them, but the next size up I knew would get too loose. Rode for a week and with sweat and stuff they got to be a perfect fit. Get the mediums and smother them in leather conditioner to help them break in.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just went through the same thing last week, it was a nightmare to be honest. Decided to go with the mediums and let them break in. I noticed that my old pair of gloves fit.. well.. like a glove. And I decided I wouldn't be happy with a loose or sloppy glove with extra space at the fingertips etc. So the only option was to hope the mediums would break in with the idea that the glove will conform to my hand as they wear (since my hands will certainly not grown into a large over time).

I used the mediums for a day or two and they didn't really give in too much, that was a painful 8 hour day of riding. MichaelV knows since all I did was complain about them over the Sena all day. The next day I put some leather conditioner on them and they felt 100X better within minutes. I'm sure with some more time they'll break in as my first pair did.

By the way, I bought the Dainese 4 stroke Longs AND shorts (I'm either a genius or an idiot). Definitely a good glove to consider

PS. The hard parts over your knuckles will NOT break in (may or may not be obvious). But I would say as long as its wide enough to cover your knuckles comfortably, tough it out through the break in period with the mediums, leather conditioner helps and would highly recommend it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts