Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Adjustable shock worth it?

3K views 30 replies 6 participants last post by  marcosbenders2 
#1 ·
I find the stock rear shock pretty harsh and since I already have back problems, I may get a good adjustable shock. Just wondering if it improves the ride much to be worth $600+? Same as my other thread asking about the ecu flash, just wondering if it will be worth the money so I thought I would ask those who have done it.
I don’t race but even riding on the street at a regular pace the shock is very harsh and I am 190lbs. I have it set in the middle for preload now…

#3 ·
I'm (shamely) still in the stock rear shock, but through the years I didn't hear one person that wasn't happy with the upgrade.
And the happiest were the people that went with the GSX one because it's good and it's cheap.
Different years of GSX shocks have different spring rates. You can figure out what spring rate you want and then try to find one of those.

#4 ·
Oh nice I'll check those out though i would rather not have to cut my airbox... I know upgraded shock should be better, it seems obvious but I only ride normal road spees for the most part. Just need some helps with the bumps haha.
You don't find the stock shock to be harsh at all? Maybe I should clean and re-grease my linkage and swingarm like I saw someone else doing recently...

#5 ·
So are you looking for a softer shock/ride? Have to tried to adjust the OEM shock?

How much do you weigh?

If your just looking for a softer spring, just change the spring out, Race Tech has rear springs.

The spring is fairly easy enough to change, and it's a whole lot cheap.

Here is a link that might help you out.

RT - Digital Product Search

Sidenote: the old Ninja 250 & 500 guys swap out the their OEM shocks, for the Ninja 300 ones. It's got a better spring for heavy riders (200lbs+)

Also have you the sag? And the front springs might need to be changed as well, to keep the balance of the bike.

Hope this helps you out.

#6 ·
Thanks Ghost, I have adjusted it. I can get the correct sag with the stock spring so I don’t think that’s my problem. I’m on the middle setting now and sag is about right (I can’t remember exact but maybe on the high side 40mm?) I have tried it on the 2nd lowest setting to get a little softer ride but then the rear of the bike really squats. I’m 190lbs.
It feels to me like the shock damping doesn’t allow the shock to compress fast enough because when I hit a good size bump the shock kind of bucks the rear of the bike up.
I’ve changed the front springs and oil already and those feel a lot better.
There is no way that a fully adjustable shock with the correct spring rate would not be better than the stock shock. Just how much better is the question I guess…

#7 ·
That depends on how deep your pockets are, personally going for a fully adjustable shock which could be anywhere from $600 to $1,000.

I might try going with a slightly lesser spring in the rear, that would help.

But one must remember that the Ninja 300 is based on a ninja 250 which is an old antiquated analog design. Unfortunately you're stuck with old technology and an old frame etc etc.

Good luck and if you have any more questions just post them up.

Reactions: Topaz and jkv45
#8 · (Edited)
Yes, make sure the linkage is in good condition and well lubed. Same as the swingarm pivot point. Check the bearing and lube it.

I think that what you need to cut to fit the GSX shock is not the airbox but the end of the big plastic panel which serves as rear fender and battery tray. And from what I saw, it doesn't affect its functionality as either fender or battery holder.

How many years and miles old is your bike? If it's old, even if the shock works fine and doesn't leak, the oil inside is worn out.
That shock is not serviceable, so I guess Kawasaki expects owners to change it with a new OEM shock, which is listed for almost $700.
You can have a used one, but nothing used for the N300 is newer than 2017, so already 5 years old.
If you plan to keep the bike long, then I think getting a nice serviceable and adjustable shock is well worth.
If you're planning to sell it, then it's not worth.

#9 ·
Thankgs guys! I can afford it but just wanted to ask if it was worth spending the money on since my riding is basically short commutes and weekend blasts around the countryside. Maybe a softer rear spring would help as I've had a couple pre-gen 250's and a 500 but never had an issue with the suspension being as harsh as on this bike.
Topaz you make a good point also, my bike is a 2016 nearing 8000 miles so likely at the least the oil needs replacing (if only it were possible). No way I'd spend any money to replace it with another oem unit. If I replace it it will be with something adjustable and rebuildable. I have no plans to sell it, these little ninjas are awesome and perfect for the riding I like to do (and very easy to maintain).
I just have a habit of thinking I need things and after I buy them realize I could have done without it lol. Trying to cut back on that and make informed purchases from now on.

#10 ·
If you want to you could just find a used rear shock off a EX500/Ninja 500r. As it's spring is less stiffer that the 300 one.

The 500 one is at least adjustable like the 300, and it's a true bolt on swap.

I might even have a 500 shock in my pile of spare parts, I could look if you wanted to try it out first.

Reactions: jjmaine
#12 ·
Hey guys, after much thought I have decided to save the money and go with the Gsxr600 shock. I don't mind having to cut some plastic off for it to fit if it means good suspension. I'll pick a good clean used one up off ebay and I'm lucky I have a friend with a small shop and all of the tools to refresh shocks, change springs, nitrogen etc.
I know I can order the correct spring from Racetech which I'll do but I remember seeing somewhere here (can't find it now), that I'll need a different spring base to use the Racetech spring? The post I remember had a part number but I can't find it now. Does anybody know if I do need a new spring base or retainer (can't remember what they called it) to use a racetech spring on the Gsxr shock?

#19 ·
Yeah I saw a guy on ebay selling the TSS G-Sport shock for $240 shipped from Thailand. I was going to order one but he never really answered any of my questions because I dont think he spoke much english. The YSS shock I have is excellent and the fit and finish is perfect. Very nice stuff. I think my next upgrade will be emulators for the forks. I wish there was an easy way to upgrade to bigger diameter forks on the 300. I notice a lot of flex in my forks and the front just does weird things under hard braking lol

#21 ·
that is who I got it from. eBay. He answered my question regarding spring weight. I figured, for ~$250, if it’s crap, I can always revalve and respring on my own and not be out much. If you buy from YSS direct, they have em with compression also, but at 2x price.

im not racing, just having fun at the track and the occasional street ride.

this and the racetek springs, gve, eBay fork preloads, I am under $500 and it’s miles better than stock at my weight and ride style.

#25 ·
Soime months ago, I met a guy at the track that was focused on older Honda CBR250RR. Those would rev up to 18 or 19k rpm's. He told me he bought the bikes from Japan and Australia for cheap, had them ship to US, restore them and sell them for about 6 or 7k USD. That day, he actually had one at the track and was having fun with it. He told me there were parts available.

The new ZX250R I4 has been in the Asian market for some years now, so maybe it won't make it to US. I guess the 250 would be nicer for a light rider. The 400 should be fun for anyone.
I've read that is basically the same bike. Even the fairings will have many panels that are just the same. So the weight and ergonomics should be about the same as the 250.

#26 ·
Nice, I bet they are weapons on the track. I've kind of had my eye on a Ninja 400 but I'd take the zx4 over the N400 in a heartbeat. I love the small displacement bikes and to have a small bike but with the inline 4 sound is perfection haha. I don't care about increased maintenance or any of that. I enjoy that part of owning motorcycles anyways....

#27 ·
I've also read about rumors from Kawi for an all-new Ninja 600 twin to compete with Yammaha R7 and Aprilia RS600.
If it happens, then there will be lot to choose from for those wanting to upgrade the N300.

The sporty twins 600 is a segment that is growing a lot because I4 600's are loosing popularity and I4 1000's are getting ridiculously expensive and powerful.
In the papers, I don't like the R7 because it doesn't rev up much and it's basically an MT07 with sport suspension and fairings. The Aprilia is so nice, but it's expensive and it looks like not too reliable.
I'd love to see a Japanese version of the RS660

#30 ·
Great to hear from you Topaz! Yep, I'm still riding my beloved old 2014 and it's still my daily driver... when it's not freakin' raining, that is. In fact, I'm getting ready to do a major refurbishment. I'm finally going to install the still-in-the-box Power Commander I purchased years ago. This includes the optional real-time tuning module. I just ordered a new stainless steel full exhaust and have to get an extra pipe nipple welded in for the extra sensor that comes with the kit. Gotta admit I've really dreaded removing all the Ninja 'Tupperware' and that's the reason I haven't done it yet. Oh well, it's now or never I suppose.

Anyway, take care of yourself and ride safe buddy! 😁👍

Cheers!

Jimbo

Reactions: Topaz
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.