Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
746 Posts
I'm (shamely) still in the stock rear shock, but through the years I didn't hear one person that wasn't happy with the upgrade.
And the happiest were the people that went with the GSX one because it's good and it's cheap.
Different years of GSX shocks have different spring rates. You can figure out what spring rate you want and then try to find one of those.

·
Super Moderator
746 Posts
Yes, make sure the linkage is in good condition and well lubed. Same as the swingarm pivot point. Check the bearing and lube it.

I think that what you need to cut to fit the GSX shock is not the airbox but the end of the big plastic panel which serves as rear fender and battery tray. And from what I saw, it doesn't affect its functionality as either fender or battery holder.

How many years and miles old is your bike? If it's old, even if the shock works fine and doesn't leak, the oil inside is worn out.
That shock is not serviceable, so I guess Kawasaki expects owners to change it with a new OEM shock, which is listed for almost $700.
You can have a used one, but nothing used for the N300 is newer than 2017, so already 5 years old.
If you plan to keep the bike long, then I think getting a nice serviceable and adjustable shock is well worth.
If you're planning to sell it, then it's not worth.

·
Super Moderator
746 Posts
Soime months ago, I met a guy at the track that was focused on older Honda CBR250RR. Those would rev up to 18 or 19k rpm's. He told me he bought the bikes from Japan and Australia for cheap, had them ship to US, restore them and sell them for about 6 or 7k USD. That day, he actually had one at the track and was having fun with it. He told me there were parts available.

The new ZX250R I4 has been in the Asian market for some years now, so maybe it won't make it to US. I guess the 250 would be nicer for a light rider. The 400 should be fun for anyone.
I've read that is basically the same bike. Even the fairings will have many panels that are just the same. So the weight and ergonomics should be about the same as the 250.

·
Super Moderator
746 Posts
I've also read about rumors from Kawi for an all-new Ninja 600 twin to compete with Yammaha R7 and Aprilia RS600.
If it happens, then there will be lot to choose from for those wanting to upgrade the N300.

The sporty twins 600 is a segment that is growing a lot because I4 600's are loosing popularity and I4 1000's are getting ridiculously expensive and powerful.
In the papers, I don't like the R7 because it doesn't rev up much and it's basically an MT07 with sport suspension and fairings. The Aprilia is so nice, but it's expensive and it looks like not too reliable.
I'd love to see a Japanese version of the RS660

1 - 6 of 6 Posts