Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking this subject has been discussed multiple times, but sitting here thinking about it and nothing else to do. Thus, my question to all of you that have changed out the stock mufflers for aftermarket .
Would like all of your opinions on which after market muffler you consider to be the best :question:
Have the new 300 ABS KRT sitting in the garage, covered for the winter and trying to put together a list of accessories that I might like to add come next riding season. OR ! Purchasing a used 300 and just as a hobby project, doing some mods and adding accessories to it.

Personally, I keep returning to the " Yoshimura " product line. What do you riders that have one, think of them , :question::shrug.001:
If you are bored with some spare time on your hands, as I am. :popcorn: I would greatly appreciate your opinions and advise. :feedback: Just perhaps all of us here on the forum may appreciate it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yoshi R-77 full with carbon fiber slip on. I like it. Nice sound, light, and looks good on my black and green ninja.

Can't tell about the other. for sure a very popular option.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wanted a nice sounding slip on that didn’t cost a fortune. The Leo Vince GP Corsa in carbon fiber was the winner. Less than $250, sounds fantastic and looks great, although I have nothing else to compare it to (sound wise, other than stock muffler). I keep the baffle in and absolutely LOVE the sound it makes.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Meh... I'm a bit cynical about exhausts on small cylinder bikes these days. I spent some 700 bucks on a Yoshimura Full Exhaust with Carbon Fiber Muffler for my Ninja 650, and I considered it mainly an aesthetics upgrade (still a steal judging by the state of modern art these days...). On my Ninja 300 I installed a Danmoto since it was the cheapest slip-on I could find with a carbon fiber muffler. What can I say, I like how carbon fiber looks :D

Regarding sound, well, lets put it like this - Close your eyes and picture yourself on the Isle of Man during a race. Imagine the sound of the bike passing by. I'll bet my kingdom that you aren't imagining a twin-cylinder Ninja 300, regardless of the exhaust anyone can put on it. It just isn't ever going to sound like an inline-4 or any other sexy variant. Is there a difference between a Yoshimura and an eBay special? Sure, I guess. But is it enough that if the cheap exhaust was the one with the Yoshimura logo on it, you woulld still be picking it? I'm not so convinced.

So which is the ABSOLUTE best muffler? I'd say any of them, and none of them. All in all, these days your first choice should simply be the one you want most, period. Be it because of sound, looks, prestige or anything else. Now if all you care about is performance, then I'd say your riding the wrong bike.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Meh... I'm a bit cynical about exhausts on small cylinder bikes these days. I spent some 700 bucks on a Yoshimura Full Exhaust with Carbon Fiber Muffler for my Ninja 650, and I considered it mainly an aesthetics upgrade (still a steal judging by the state of modern art these days...). On my Ninja 300 I installed a Danmoto since it was the cheapest slip-on I could find with a carbon fiber muffler. What can I say, I like how carbon fiber looks :D

Regarding sound, well, lets put it like this - Close your eyes and picture yourself on the Isle of Man during a race. Imagine the sound of the bike passing by. I'll bet my kingdom that you aren't imagining a twin-cylinder Ninja 300, regardless of the exhaust anyone can put on it. It just isn't ever going to sound like an inline-4 or any other sexy variant. Is there a difference between a Yoshimura and an eBay special? Sure, I guess. But is it enough that if the cheap exhaust was the one with the Yoshimura logo on it, you woulld still be picking it? I'm not so convinced.

So which is the ABSOLUTE best muffler? I'd say any of them, and none of them. All in all, these days your first choice should simply be the one you want most, period. Be it because of sound, looks, prestige or anything else. Now if all you care about is performance, then I'd say your riding the wrong bike.

WOW :excl: :excl:

Sounds like good advise and a perfectly honest opinion. :smile2:

Personally speaking, so kindly do not flame me. But, I do not think that the stock muffler sounds all that bad. Actually, its kind of comforting after riding some Harleys with straight pipes.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yoshi R-77 full with carbon fiber slip on. I like it. Nice sound, light, and looks good on my black and green ninja.

Can't tell about the other. for sure a very popular option.

Yes, my 300 ABS KRT is also green and black in color. I also have considered carbon fiber. But time will tell.

Thanks .............

·
Registered
316 Posts
I see Akrapovic as one of the top brands.

I have an Arrow system on one of my 2-stroke bikes that is also top-notch.

That said, I have an inexpensive Delkevic slip-on on the bike I ride most, and have had it on for over 10,000 miles without any problems.

There is some engineering that goes into a full system, with pipe diameter and bends, but the actual muffler is pretty simple and most follow the same exact design. Some may use better quality materials though.

I have heard of more durability problems with Carbon than Stainless Steel cans.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have heard of more durability problems with Carbon than Stainless Steel cans.
What kind of problems with carbon? And in what period of time?

My N300 is a 2013 with 11k miles; it had the carbon slip on right from the beginning. So far so good. the yoshi header pipes, which I don't know what material are made of, lost some of its shine, but the muffler still looks pretty good.

I hope it'll last long, as I'm not thinking in changing the bike for the moment.

·
Registered
316 Posts
What kind of problems with carbon? And in what period of time?

My N300 is a 2013 with 11k miles; it had the carbon slip on right from the beginning. So far so good. the yoshi header pipes, which I don't know what material are made of, lost some of its shine, but the muffler still looks pretty good.

I hope it'll last long, as I'm not thinking in changing the bike for the moment.
I've seen photos of carbon cans that have disintegrated, but don't have any specifics.

Heat and UV will breakdown the resins used with carbon fiber eventually, the time-frame would depend on the quality of the materials.

Stainless Steel is going to be more resistant to heat and UV, no matter what.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the two bros carbon fiber slip on - looks great and at first I liked it then thought it was too loud, so got the silencer baffle for it, not as loud and still sounds good. In the end I wish I had just left the stock muffler on there and saved the $600.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the two bros carbon fiber slip on - looks great and at first I liked it then thought it was too loud, so got the silencer baffle for it, not as loud and still sounds good. In the end I wish I had just left the stock muffler on there and saved the $600.

Have read the postings here and chatted with a few Ninja owners. Personally as it presently stands, I am inclined to agree and will most likely opt to go with your last sentence above. :iagree:

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you are bored with some spare time on your hands, as I am. :popcorn: I would greatly appreciate your opinions and advise. :feedback: Just perhaps all of us here on the forum may appreciate it.
Geetings. Please allow me to add another unit to the list of aftermarket exhausts. I've purchased a Mivv "Storm" slip-on exhaust from Italy. Link to website below:

https://www.mivv.com/en/products/k-0...ja-300-2013-2/

—The website has a dyno chart showing the performance of this product, a technical sheet and a schematic diagram. This slip-on meets Euro 3 standards for Db level, CO2 and CARB standards as well.
—Amazon or Ebay price for Stainless Steel version about $250. Comes with midpipe, support strap and all hardware needed to install.
—It's Italian made in Rimini and it is IMHO beautiful in design detail and craftsmanship. Gorgeous.
—The heaviest aftermarket slip on muff I've ever handled, but still significantly lighter than stock muff.

—The Mivv muff installed easily with the nice hardware included (although the stainless steel bracket clamp has a mill finish which may scratch easily as you install) and it will allow for easier maintenance and cleaning in and around the swing arm and rear master cylinder. Of course, my boot heel no longer comes in contact with a muffler or shield. Overall more "in scale" with the EX300 and IMHO a nice looking replacement for the questionable O.E.M. item.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Have read the postings here and chatted with a few Ninja owners. Personally as it presently stands, I am inclined to agree and will most likely opt to go with your last sentence above. :iagree:
Yeah, I thought I wanted an aftermarket muffler, what I really wanted was more performance, which the aftermarket muffler didn't really deliver on or the difference is too small to be really noticed. All I got was loud and I'm too old for loud (54). I would have liked it more in my younger days but I'm more of a "fly under the radar" guy now rather than "hey look at me" guy with the loud exhaust. I prefer fast and quiet, which I get with the Ninja 1000 (with stock exhaust) I picked up recently.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think we should -as a general rule- put to rest the notion that a slip-on improves the performance of a 300.

Mivv quote: "Designed to improve the aestethics, sound and performance of the bike."

It may be designed to improve the performance, but if at all, it would be negligible. And many reckon it can reduce performance.

A slip-on:

- Improves sound = YES (subjective)
- Improves aesthetics = YES (subjective)
- Improves performance - NO, NO and more of NO

I bought my Danmoto slip-on for sound and looks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think we should -as a general rule- put to rest the notion that a slip-on improves the performance of a 300.

Mivv quote: "Designed to improve the aestethics, sound and performance of the bike."

It may be designed to improve the performance, but if at all, it would be negligible. And many reckon it can reduce performance.

A slip-on:

- Improves sound = YES (subjective)
- Improves aesthetics = YES (subjective)
- Improves performance - NO, NO and more of NO

I bought my Danmoto slip-on for sound and looks.

I installed a DanMoto slip-on muffler with their additional second $17 baffle to my '17 N300 WTE for looks and sound 'cause I was on a budget and couldn't live with the stock item. The bike lost a little grunt and it was really just a bit too loud for this 56 year old teenager. Not particularly attractive either, but much more desirable than the stock unit. About OK for $US100. I've since replaced the moto (it was hit by a car).

I've saved up and installed a beautiful Mivv muff the semi-naked N300 that does not retard performance, and is so superior in function and aesthetics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Does Yosh R-77 come with that works finish yet? Power wise it's a decent exhaust but the chrome plating on the headers it came with back when I bought it was shit. It lasted about a month before the headers were all brown an pockmarked. I know on other newer Yosh systems I've owned the works finish is so much better and more durable. Not that I care about looks too much.

If all you care about is power, Akrapovic. If you care about power AND price, next best choice Yoshimura. I love me some Akra but damn the system for my 675R was $2700. :eek:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I went with an Akrapovic on my KRT; it's the first aftermarket bike muffler I've ever had. I didn't want to risk buying crap, so I consulted some riding buddies and did some online research. I hated to fork over the cash, but I've been really happy with it! The reason I bought it was to uncramp my right foot when lowering the pegs wasn't enough. It did the trick! It'll also allow more clearance for the sidebags, if they ever show up (Givi USA expects a shipment from the factory at the end of the month, so maybe by Christmas??:hope:) I went with CF for the aesthetics. It's definitely lighter than the stock muffler, and I really like the sound: a little richer and throatier, maybe a tad louder but not enough to make my husband complain:RantExplode:. And while I'm sure that MAL and others can substantiate claims about a slip-on's lack of improvement in bike performance, it seems to me that my bike has a little more pep than it did with the stock muffler, but don't ask me to prove it.:emot-science:

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Simple answer: the cheapest used one you can find. :wink2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts