Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped off my Ninja 300 last season for some of those 2013 saftey recalls and got the bike back just before putting it into storage. At the time I was more concerned that my turn signals weren't working after the maintenance and didn't notice the ABS light. I put the bike in storage for winter and now that it's out I've noticed the ABS system isn't working. The light never shuts off. The closest dealer is about an hour and a half away, and after 7 months I feel like it's too late for me to say "You broke it you fix it".

Obviously I'd like to get it fixed but I really don't want to make the long drive and shell out big bucks if it turns out to be something stupid like a disconnected cable.

Does anyone have any advice on what to look at before I take it into the dealer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you havent even ridden it since the recall was done then I am guessing they didnt get one of the connectors plugged in all the way and it lost connection while in storage, 7 months is a long time with a little bit of tension on the harness. It is worth it to simply get a light and look to be sure they are all fully plugged in, if so then yes I would call the dealer. They should have at minimum a 1 year warranty on any work they do.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It's not too late. They usually put the mileage on their log book (or given you a receipt with the mileage on the bike when they had it for the recall). Tell them it went straight into storage and show them you didn't put too many miles on the bike since the recall.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It could be any number of problems. I had the same issue, the dealer reconnected all cables, did everything, even replaced the whole ABS system and yet I still had the same issue of the light always being on. I had to go to multiple dealers to finally get it solved. Something that is often overlooked is that the actual cables connecting the ABS system could be rusted or damaged, which they don't figure out, and what could be a simple solution ends up being a whole ordeal, so make sure you specifically ask them to check the wires too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys im having the same issue at the moment..

Ive taken off and put back the ABS sensor on the rear wheel as the rear tyre has been changed before in the past.. but i just recently bought my 300/2013 off a guy privately and the ABS light was persistently on.

I went to a bike guy locally and he asked if the front brake also works when i squeeze the rear brake.. which it does. that apparently means the ABS is working.. but the light is still on.. Can anyone shed any light on at home checks or maintenance i could do? and how on earth do i access the ABS harness?
thanks!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I don't know if it's a mechanical or digital relay to signal the abs light, but it probably is deenergize to turn on so that if you lose signal the light comes on as a warning. Check for shorts, loose connections from all sensors and lines to and from the system. Also, check the line going into your digital dash, that may have issues. I might peruse the service manual later

Dave

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey guys im having the same issue at the moment..

Ive taken off and put back the ABS sensor on the rear wheel as the rear tyre has been changed before in the past.. but i just recently bought my 300/2013 off a guy privately and the ABS light was persistently on.

I went to a bike guy locally and he asked if the front brake also works when i squeeze the rear brake.. which it does. that apparently means the ABS is working.. but the light is still on.. Can anyone shed any light on at home checks or maintenance i could do? and how on earth do i access the ABS harness?
thanks!
The front and rear brakes work independently of each other. You don't squeeze the rear brake, you push it down with your foot. You squeeze the front brake. I would tell you how I test my ABS but I'm a little worried it might be a bad idea for you to try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts