Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My orange abs light has been on for about 4 months and it went on just after a tyre change by a shop near me. its on always, when the bike is on of course but i mean from the moment the bike is on the light is also, no matter the speed. My back wheel has locked up 2-3 times during this time so definitely off.

My bike is a 2016 Kawasaki ninja 300 and I am just not sure how to fix this. Any help is appreciated
Thanks, Lachlan

·
Registered
558 Posts
My orange abs light has been on for about 4 months and it went on just after a tyre change by a shop near me. its on always, when the bike is on of course but i mean from the moment the bike is on the light is also, no matter the speed. My back wheel has locked up 2-3 times during this time so definitely off.

My bike is a 2016 Kawasaki ninja 300 and I am just not sure how to fix this. Any help is appreciated
Thanks, Lachlan

PERSONALLY :excl: I would fix it by taking it to my local " Kawasaki Dealer Service Center ". :whatdoyouthink:

·
Registered
914 Posts
If you're posting it here, I'll presume you want to fix it yourself rather than just take it to the shop. Check out the service manual. There is detailed information on the the ABS light, including what triggers it and how to troubleshoot it. I really doubt the actual tire change is responsible. Rather, I'd bet on the sensor being carelessly bumped, damaged or disconnected during the tire change process. The ABS circuit is pretty straight-forward component wise. You should be able to find out if you can fix it or not in an hour or two of troubleshooting.

Once you have a better grasp of the situation, report back and we'll go from there. My money's on a damaged sensor or sensor cable being the culprit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, the service manual/ owners manual was my first stop when it originally came on but no luck back then, will try again.

I asked a friend a while ago who is a very knowledgeable rider and they said it may be misaligned..

Full disclosure I am not a very adept mechanic, this being said I also dont have the money to not fix it myself so ill check it out, read the manual again and get back to you.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's some photos of the hose to the rear brake (the one that has locked up) and the brake itself.. maybe someone can see something i cant.

Sorry its dirty haven't washed in a while and i lived on a dirt road a week ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
914 Posts
The service manual/ owners manual was my first stop when it originally came on but no luck back then, will try agai
The service manual is NOT the same thing as the owner's manual. The service manual is a huge book for mechanics. You should find a pdf copy online if you search for it.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Just saw the pics. Are you sure that's your original rim? I see the ABS sensor, but I don't see the slotted ring that the ABS sensor reads. Click here if you don't understand what I mean by the ABS's toothed ring. I'm starting to suspect your mechanic might have some explaining to do...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just saw the pics. Are you sure that's your original rim? I see the ABS sensor, but I don't see the slotted ring that the ABS sensor reads. Click here if you don't understand what I mean by the ABS's toothed ring. I'm starting to suspect your mechanic might have some explaining to do...

Okay, so I had no idea that the abs read a ring; that's why it isn't working; so thanks for solving that one for me! The only problem now is that I crashed a while before the tyre change and when I got the tyre changed I put a rim from gumtree onto the bike because the old one was cracked pretty badly. I used my sprocket from the old rim (or at least I told them to use my old sprocket they may not have) and so is it something I cant fix? I cant really use the old rim i don't think.. I rode a few thousand on it after the crash and i wasn't leaking tyre pressure but i suspect it isn't the safest option..

·
Registered
914 Posts
Lol... this is why mechanics are always skeptical of people who come in claiming something "simply stopped working". You definitely should have mentioned that you didn't only change the tire, but that you changed the rim, too. That changes everything. Apparently you bought the rim of a non-ABS bike.

The sprocket is on the opposite side of the ABS ring, so that has nothing to do with anything here. What you should do is compare both rims and see if swapping out the brake disk with the toothed ABS ring is possible (chances are it probably is). If so, you can have this fixed on your own in a jiffy. Just remember to properly take care of the chain slack and alignment when you reinstall the rim.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
took a photo of the other sprocket, is the ring on this one? neither have a 'toothed' ring but this one does have a silvery ring around it...

EDIT: Wow.. just saw the ring I am royally stupid.. Ill switch the sprockets over when I do my chain next. Thanks so much for your help Gables_Ninja. Without you I may have never fixed this.

Thanks so much for your time!

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
That's it. The piece you want to remove looks like the attached picture.
(Don't try and separate the ABS speed sensor ring from the brake disc/rotor; they are riveted together.)

Carefully check the disc/rotor for damage, cracking, warping, etc., otherwise replace the whole thing before assembly onto the new rim.
(Picture is off eBay from someone selling it for USD30.00, used)

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts