Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly I'll introduce myself, my name is Matt from Brisbane, Australia. I am goinf to be ordering a pearl white ninja 300 but only have one last option im unsure about.

Is abs really worth the extra money? I would like to hear some stories of experience as well as general knowledge on the subject. This will be my first road bike and as such would like as much help as possible and plan on returning the favour on this great forum.
Thanks,

· Registered
761 Posts
Can't hurt. :)

I will say, I've owned over a dozen different bikes over my 31 years of street riding. Never had ABS. But I wouldn't be against having it. ;)

· Registered
168 Posts
I was gonna buy the black ninja without abs until I saw the video above on you tube a couple of days ago. So I'm waiting for nov batch with abs to come over. Call me a faint hearted but this is the only way I can enjoy this without fear of tumbling down the road and becoming a speed bump after a hard breaking IMO.

· Registered
2,942 Posts
Its just another safety feature, really depends on what its worth to you.. I commute daily, even in the worst of the rain storms.. Never owned ABS and never had any problems, not saying I would never own it but its not a must have for me..

· Registered
108 Posts
Its just another safety feature, really depends on what its worth to you.. I commute daily, even in the worst of the rain storms.. Never owned ABS and never had any problems, not saying I would never own it but its not a must have for me..
Doesn't change the fact that if you actually do have a problem, like a car merging in front of you, go slower than you are, so that you''l hit it, and no way around it, ABS brakes can turn a deadly situation into merely a brown pants situation. :p

· Registered
108 Posts
ABS stops you from coming off if you apply too much brake, because it stops the wheels from locking under braking. If you are going through an intersection, and you NEED to stop NOW, ABS will keep you upright, even if you freak out and squeeze the brake hard, and stomp down on the rear.

The rear is very easy to lock, especially under hard braking, because the weight of the bike under hard braking is transferred forward to the front wheel, lessening the traction of the rear. MOST of your braking power comes from your front, at least 70%, but if you want/need to stop with all your brakes potential, ABS helps to make sure that even if you do push the brakes too far (front or rear), you wont pay for it with your skin/limbs/life.

It does this with or without rain.

· Registered
199 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ_UkAFW6cA

There. That's everything you'll need to know.
Ahmen,

Finally got a chance to give my ABS a crack when it started pissing down on the way to work.. I was givin it a pretty hard time braking wise and its excellent, gives you so much more confidence and Im pretty sure you can actually hear it kicking in.. ABS plus slipper clutch, you really have a hard time breaking traction in the wet...
Well worth the extra 500 bux i rekon.
Only downside is if you go to ride another bike without it you best be reverting back to your old braking ways.. If your a decent rider then the transition will be fine..

· Registered
199 Posts
is the abs usually loud like it is on my bike when I press the brake? Its not super loud but you can here the unit working, I guess eventually you get use to it.
It's noticeable, and I usually ride with Visor down. It's not annoying or anything and I've only noticed it a couple of times..
It's such a safe commuting bike I reckon, not overpowered and not too light like my RGV which slides everywhere

All round good package :)
Sound like a salesman haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.