Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 791 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I got a phone call today from the dealer I purchased my bike from.
They confirmed both the ECU and ABS recall, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Turns our the Hyabusa is affected by the ABS issue as well.

Due to scheduling, I am going to have my ECU swapped on Sept 7.
I am simply not around any sooner and am not experiencing the sympton anyway

·
Registered
167 Posts
Another opinion re: ECU

My 300 hasn't stalled in the last 3,500 of over 4,000 miles since new. Maybe it is because of awareness / rider technique, but I won't be getting mine fiddled with for a reason I consider minor. Not trying to be a-know-it-all or wise-guy here, but I have had it with buying new vehicles and within a few months the selling/servicing dealer is trying to convince "the masses" that a fix is in order. BMW severely altered my 2003 Cooper "S" mileage and power with an "EPA" mandate within the first year - separate issue; back to Ninja 300.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My 300 hasn't stalled in the last 3,500 of over 4,000 miles since new. Maybe it is because of awareness / rider technique, but I won't be getting mine fiddled with for a reason I consider minor. Not trying to be a-know-it-all or wise-guy here, but I have had it with buying new vehicles and within a few months the selling/servicing dealer is trying to convince "the masses" that a fix is in order. BMW severely altered my 2003 Cooper "S" mileage and power with an "EPA" mandate within the first year - separate issue; back to Ninja 300.
If you look at the stalling thread there were a ton of theories being tossed around related to climate, average temp in the area, rain...No one could come up with a common link on exactly what caused the stalling problem to effect some people and not others.

Essentially what this means is that in your current location, at this years temperature/humidity average, with the type of gas you use....your motorcycle is not effected by the stalling problem. Congratulations! But if one of those variables change in the time you own the bike...a new gas type, a change of location, the time of day you ride...you may start stalling.

You are entitled to not have the service done, but having had a couple close calls in traffic where my engine's cut out while pulling in the clutch to shift I wouldn't want to risk getting caught like that unexpectedly. (For example trying to pass another vehicle on the highway, so you downshift for a little more power only to have your bike cut out on you in the passing lane while another vehicle is coming up behind you at 70mph).

The dealer/service department isn't really trying to convince you of anything. The OWNERS of the bikes reported a stalling issue to the NTHSA as well as Kawasaki and they found something wrong so they are offering to fix it for FREE. The Ninja 300 may be similar to a Ninja 250 but the Fuel Injection, slipper clutch, and ABS are all new...so it's not that unusual for problems to be found once the product is in actual use which is the cause for these recalls.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My local dealer (not the one I bought my bike from, they are too far away) ordered the necessary parts for me today. They wanted the Bike first before they ordered it, and I told them there was no way in hell I was doing that, it would be a week before I got my Bike back they said.

So I had to give them my credit card number, so if I don't show up for the recall work they can charge me, such BS. Oh well, the guy was actually really nice about it and explained the reasoning behind the policy. Either way I am going to get the work done, so no worries.

I haven't had the stalling issue in over a 1000 miles (since I increased the idle 200 RPM). It will be nice to put it back to the stock 1350 RPM.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They can't give me my 300 until it arrives.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
My wife and I just bought our Ninja 300 SE (non-ABS) on Monday of this week, and as we were completing the PDI with the service manager, one of his employees spoke up about the ECU recall. The dealership did not allow us to take delivery of the bike after that. Called mid-day today and they are still waiting for the new ECU. :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
My wife and I just bought our Ninja 300 SE (non-ABS) on Monday of this week, and as we were completing the PDI with the service manager, one of his employees spoke up about the ECU recall. The dealership did not allow us to take delivery of the bike after that. Called mid-day today and they are still waiting for the new ECU. :(
Yep if You were just buying it and they went to register it and they got a red flag You ain't taking your new baby home:( same as me...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
So I had to give them my credit card number, so if I don't show up for the recall work they can charge me, such BS. Oh well, the guy was actually really nice about it and explained the reasoning behind the policy. Either way I am going to get the work done, so no worries.
So their going to be able to charge you if you don't show up for a job that you wouldn't be paying for anyways. Amazing :confused:

·
Registered
276 Posts
So their going to be able to charge you if you don't show up for a job that you wouldn't be paying for anyways. Amazing :confused:
I don't understand why dealers give answers that are all over the place. Kawi Headquarters needs to give some training on consistency.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Kawasaki isn't doing this of their own free will... it's mandated. You really should get it done. What if you sell the bike and the new owner experiences the stalling and gets in an accident. My two cents... it's a safety recall. The government is mandating that the bikes be fix and owners should take responsibility to take it in and get it done. If not for you, but the future owner of the bike.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
" If not for you, but the future owner of the bike" That brings up the thought that any of us who are getting it done Hang on to the paper work because when it comes time to sell it might be advantages to have proof that the bike your selling has had the ECU replaced.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My bike has stalled under certain conditions which has been few and far between. My idle is set to spec and my bike is running like a champ. The urgency to get this done is not really there for me. I wonder if Kawasaki will send out a recall letter? Perhaps I will wait until I get this letter.:eek:

·
Registered
276 Posts
They will be sending out recall letters and will keep sending them until they show the ECU has been replaced in their system. If a Kawi dealer comes across a used 300 they'll check to make sure all recalls have been completed. This is something car dealers do as well or are supposed to do.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thank you so much for this information. It is amazing how the riders that where constantly talking about their stalling issue was given different reasons to why our bikes were stalling. My dealer actually told me it is a new rider thing. In other words, a person who just started riding only experiences this issue because we are not use to the clutch, gears, etc. LOL
The service guy was using that excuse too at my dealership. Saying people are not letting the bike warm up enough. That it takes 13-15 mins for a small cc motor to fully warm up. So I say, "That's cool, so when do I come in to get the ECU replaced for the ECU issue?" Him, "I've ordered your part, I'll call you when it's in." Lol.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ecu Recall...

So question about it... I no there are other threads but I have a question that has not been answered I don't think... I went into the dealership and they said once I check my bike in it has to stay there untill the ecu arrives and is installed... They said 3 days maybe 4... Ok I get all that 1 problem... My bike is my daily driver... I can't go without it for 3 or 4 days... So can the dealership just order the part and let me take it home if they really wanted to??? Or dose it really have to stay there??? Another this this is for the stalling issue right?? What if I have not experienced this issue after 2k miles should I not worry and just not get it replaced since I don't have the problem?? Or do you think it will be a problem later on down the road...

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
talk to the dealer about it. i cant see any reason why they need it for a few days. its not that hard to remove the fairings, replace the ECU & put the bike back together & road test.a decent workshop can have this comfortably done in a day

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
talk to the dealer about it. i cant see any reason why they need it for a few days. its not that hard to remove the fairings, replace the ECU & put the bike back together & road test.a decent workshop can have this comfortably done in a day

They did my forks in a hour. I`m sure a ECU swap should only take around the same time...hopefully.

101 - 120 of 791 Posts