Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard people say that you can tell when the ABS is activated on a bike equipped with it, but today I experienced it. I was riding home from Malibu down PCH, and traffic slowed because there was an accident. I was passing the accident and looked to my right at a woman who was sitting on the ground (she was involved in the accident) and then when I looked back in front of me, a truck had stopped. I grabbed the front brake and stopped just short of the truck. The feeling is a very distinct vibration, almost like your riding over evenly spaced bumps, and I think it even made a sound like that too, it happened so fast. I've braked hard in the past, but this is definitely my first time activating the ABS. I can definitely say I'm glad I made the investment. :D

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Glad it came in handy. That's exactly why I went for ABS too. I won't ride differently than before I had ABS, but it's good to know it's there if something unexpected happens.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's too cold today, what are you doing at PCH? Lol!
Freezing my [email protected]@ off! Went up to the Snake (on Mulholland Hwy), but pro driver Tanner Foust was filming there with a huge crew, the CHP would stop all traffic so they could film him driving down the Snake, sorta blew my ride. :(

·
Registered
506 Posts
Haha! I was going to start this thread yesterday. You beat me to it.

I was in a similar situation. Car in front stopped way too short during a stop light. Had easily 2 car spaces in front. I used both brakes but put too much onto the rear and it as it started locking up, I felt the ABS kick in and pulsated the rear brake pressure. I could feel it pulsating from the break pedal. I progressively applied more front brake and stopped where I should've...not on a bumper.

Well folks...ABS works! I'm convinced.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm not sure how nobody has pointed this out: You may not have needed the ABS if you weren't rubber necking. It's not there so you can ride around distracted and save you when you from a death grip when you react. Hopefully it's scared you into being more responsible. If you had more time from paying attention to where you were going you could have maybe chosen to evade (go to the shoulder, change lanes or even split lanes) and stop safely.

That's rather my take away from your story, thank god I got ABS so I don't have to pay attention. Just doesn't sound like you were REALLY acknowledging you done ****** up, more like it was just some normal thing and that's what's great about ABS.

Truesday scenario looks like a better reason most people should want it, not so they can pay attention to the lady sitting on the side of the road.

Reactions: tikva_boi21

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
That's rather my take away from your story, thank god I got ABS so I don't have to pay attention. Just doesn't sound like you were REALLY acknowledging you done ****** up, more like it was just some normal thing and that's what's great about ABS.
Harsh take away from the story, but I'll agree with you to a point. The reality is, many of the riders that will be purchasing a 300 are noobs to the motorcycle world. Many carry with them bad habits from driving like following too closely, or diverting their attention away from the road ahead. Many have probably even had close calls before, but were able to depend on the stability a car gives, or the cage aspect when a crash does happen.

So yes, motorcyclists need to be very vigilant on the road. They need to recognize situations that can put them in danger, and avoid those situations when they become known. But expecting new riders to recognize dangerous situations, or drop bad habits they got from driving a car takes time. This story emphasizes that problem.

If we were all perfect riders that take all the proper precautions, are able to safely threshold brake in all weather conditions, and at a moments notice; ABS would not be needed. However, it can only be a good thing to have ABS in these kinds of situations. True, it's not an excuse to drive carelessly. But it's better to give a new rider the chance to learn from their mistakes, rather than total their bike and sustain injuries from a situation where ABS could have saved them.

I'm going to assume the rider learned from their mistake, albeit the hard way. Hopefully by sharing it on this forum, others can learn the easy way. Pointing out that they ****ed up doesn't really promote an environment of learning from others experiences.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure how nobody has pointed this out: You may not have needed the ABS if you weren't rubber necking. It's not there so you can ride around distracted and save you when you from a death grip when you react. Hopefully it's scared you into being more responsible. If you had more time from paying attention to where you were going you could have maybe chosen to evade (go to the shoulder, change lanes or even split lanes) and stop safely.

Truesday scenario looks like a better reason most people should want it, not so they can pay attention to the lady sitting on the side of the road.
Actually I figured by sharing the story, it would be pretty obvious that I ****** up. It happened in the span of about 2 seconds (looked right, looked back, braked) and as I was braking I was going towards a lane split. Traffic was slowing and I should have allowed a little more space in front of me. I assume the people on this forum are intelligent enough to know I'm not promoting getting ABS so you can be an idiot. I've heard the other people's story's about ABS, and how it feels on the bike and wanted to share my experience.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Actually I figured by sharing the story, it would be pretty obvious that I ****** up. It happened in the span of about 2 seconds (looked right, looked back, braked) and as I was braking I was going towards a lane split. Traffic was slowing and I should have allowed a little more space in front of me. I assume the people on this forum are intelligent enough to know I'm not promoting getting ABS so you can be an idiot. I've heard the other people's story's about ABS, and how it feels on the bike and wanted to share my experience.
The wording of your story didn't make it appear you were particularly penitent about rubber necking. Its context to the story was well played down in my opinion and apparently gives the wrong impression.

·
Banned
562 Posts
Very interesting. My take on this whole conversation is two fold

On one hand I do agree that watching the lady on the side of the road was probably not the smartest idea, blasting him over it and downgrading him as a rider was unecessary and unneeded. I don*t care if a big f*ing airbag popped open in front of him. The point is he is safe the bike is safe he knows what he did wrong and has the oppurtunity to fix it. Another fellow rider made it home safely is all I give a f about . Isnt that why we are here ?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Very interesting. My take on this whole conversation is two fold

On one hand I do agree that watching the lady on the side of the road was probably not the smartest idea, blasting him over it and downgrading him as a rider was unecessary and unneeded. I don*t care if a big f*ing airbag popped open in front of him. The point is he is safe the bike is safe he knows what he did wrong and has the oppurtunity to fix it. Another fellow rider made it home safely is all I give a f about . Isnt that why we are here ?
In my opinion rubbernecking is a grievous failure regardless of what kind of vehicle you're in. I don't care if he's riding or in a car. I don't care about his ego. You're putting your self and other motorists in danger and that's unacceptable. Each person following will end up braking harder and harder due to stacking their reaction times and each losing a little extra following distance. An officer I know calls this "The rule of 3rds" because in heavy traffic it's usually the 3rd car either rear ending the person in front of them or getting rear ended.

I just took special exception to this because of the way he worded it. Just a casual "I was passing the accident and looked to my right at a woman who was sitting on the ground"

So ya, ABS is great I agree. It saved someone from sailing over their handlebars because they were needlessly distracted and I'm glad he's better for it (I hope) and not worse.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've had ABS activate during some hard stops coming up to red lights or suddenly stopped cars.

Everyone makes mistakes while driving, and I just see ABS as a safety feature that gives you more room for error (which is extremely valuable).

·
Banned
562 Posts
In my opinion rubbernecking is a grievous failure regardless of what kind of vehicle you're in. I don't care if he's riding or in a car. I don't care about his ego. You're putting your self and other motorists in danger and that's unacceptable. Each person following will end up braking harder and harder due to stacking their reaction times and each losing a little extra following distance. An officer I know calls this "The rule of 3rds" because in heavy traffic it's usually the 3rd car either rear ending the person in front of them or getting rear ended.

I just took special exception to this because of the way he worded it. Just a casual "I was passing the accident and looked to my right at a woman who was sitting on the ground"

So ya, ABS is great I agree. It saved someone from sailing over their handlebars because they were needlessly distracted and I'm glad he's better for it (I hope) and not worse.
I understand your point and kinda agree with you but my point is this

Instead of berating him maybe some encouragement. He had to have the crap scared out of him when he saw the back of the vehicle. Personally
i would rather him be here to jump his azz about versus him be smashed
up in the hospital standing over him saying 'we told you so'

We are all brothers and sisters here , im just saying remember we r family
And if there is no other intelligent life out there, than humanity is an endangered species

Just my 2c

·
Registered
257 Posts
I understand your point and kinda agree with you but my point is this

Instead of berating him maybe some encouragement. He had to have the crap scared out of him when he saw the back of the vehicle. Personally
i would rather him be here to jump his azz about versus him be smashed
up in the hospital standing over him saying 'we told you so'

We are all brothers and sisters here , im just saying remember we r family
And if there is no other intelligent life out there, than humanity is an endangered species

Just my 2c
I'm not going to sit and say "Good job!" when clearly it isn't. This isn't grade school, people shouldn't get praised just for trying even though they failed. This is public roads with other people and is frankly a dangerous place, even more so for a rider. If this was his road test, it would have ended right then and there as a big fat F. He clearly ignored the first rule of riding on a road: Always pay attention because everything is out to kill you. I felt he de-emphasized how monumental a **** up it was, or out right wasn't recognizing that. If it wasn't for the ABS he'd have gone face first into the car in front of him.

If you want to know why this is such a big deal for me:
I saw this **** happen on I94 going towards Dearborn Mi years ago. It was a bike rubbernecking a wreck face first into a cube van. Here's what made it such a big deal: guys dead from a broken neck. He was also wearing full black leathers, with black and red helmet: this is *BURNED* into my brain. What's worse, he could have just paid attention.

If you have a problem with my giving this guy no slack, well I'm sorry (to you not to him) but I think of that accident first, your feelings second.

·
Banned
562 Posts
I'm not going to sit and say "Good job!" when clearly it isn't. This isn't grade school, people shouldn't get praised just for trying even though they failed. This is public roads with other people and is frankly a dangerous place, even more so for a rider. If this was his road test, it would have ended right then and there as a big fat F. He clearly ignored the first rule of riding on a road: Always pay attention because everything is out to kill you. I felt he de-emphasized how monumental a **** up it was, or out right wasn't recognizing that. If it wasn't for the ABS he'd have gone face first into the car in front of him.

If you want to know why this is such a big deal for me:
I saw this **** happen on I94 going towards Dearborn Mi years ago. It was a bike rubbernecking a wreck face first into a cube van. Here's what made it such a big deal: guys dead from a broken neck. He was also wearing full black leathers, with black and red helmet: this is *BURNED* into my brain. What's worse, he could have just paid attention.

If you have a problem with my giving this guy no slack, well I'm sorry (to you not to him) but I think of that accident first, your feelings second.
Toaster
Bro I am not saying good job. I understand where you are coming from
and I partially agree with you. My problem is that just because you CAN
jump his ass over it doesnt mean you SHOULD
Yes he f'd up. Fact is, most of us have f'd up at some time. I dropped my
bike at less than 1 mile per hour parking on a ramp like a dumb azz.
If someone had jumped my ass over it i would have not been in as much of
a hurry to get back on again. Instead people cracked jokes on me but the
feeling I got from them was hey bro dont do that again be safe and have fun. Which sat well with me
You cussing and calling him out does nothing proactive.. He knows he screwed up. personally i am not even sure he screwed up. He glanced at
someone sitting on the side of the road. ****, i slow down at EVERY freaking light I come to because when i drive my car i constantly see people run lights in front of me and on a bike id be dead. You gonna blast
me for possibly holding traffic back for an extra second?
The point is, we are all here to learn, to grow together and find camaderie.
I don't believe in tough love, constructive criticism etc
After 17 years in the military of watching people do really nasty things to each other for no reason at all , all i know is every man is my brother, every woman is my sister and my job as a protector is to make sure they
wake up tomorrow and are safe tonight
Rock on Toaster and give the kid a little break. Please... For me?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts