Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
It looks more like a replacement for the Ninja 300. I did see a shot of the clutch cover in the video, it looked different than the current engine. A lot of the suspension and brakes look a lot like the current Ninja 300.

·
Registered
848 Posts
oh wait...

will the engine be sleeved down Ninja 650 though?

As we know, the Ninja 300's engine is based on Ninja 250 and I heard that there really isn't much of room to add more displacement...there still is some room, but not 400.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Kawasaki will more than likely just use an existing 400cc engine from the Ninja 400.
http://www.kawasaki-motors.com/mc/lineup/ninja400/

Kawasaki Ninja 400
399cc Parallel Twin
Bore: 68.4mm
Stroke: 54.3mm
Compression Ratio: 11:1
Power: 32kW (43hp) @9,500rpm
Torque: 44Nm (32.45lb-ft) @7,500rpm

Now you might hope Kawasaki will invest their money & time to develop brand a new engine from scratch, but no, you're wrong.
This is an entry level category and cost-efficiency of developing a bike like this is very important.

It will be an 43hp engine from Ninja 400, which is a sleeved down version of Ninja 650 we have in USA/Canada.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
If they sell it here in the US as the current Canadian model, it'll fail miserably. All because the shoot a commercial here in the US, doesn't mean it's going to be released here in the US. Many commercials are shot outside of the target market because of aesthetics that the director was looking for.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
a sleeved down 650? sounds heavy and under powered.

In the 80's, the ninja came in various sizes, including 4 and 500's. They may be reviving these bikes since fuel economy is popular, and there are more versatile sport bike riders other than just wannabe racers.

·
Registered
376 Posts
@Timpo and @1uglybastard What does being "sleeved" mean for motos? I'm not familiar with the term o_O
If you take apart a motor and add a "sleeve" inside the cylinder, you decrease the cylinder internal diameter and therefore displacement. The sleeve will look basically like a section of pipe that you press into the cylinder. You also need to install a smaller diameter piston to match.
If you know what a "bored out" engine is (increasing cylinder diameter to increase displacement), sleeving is the opposite.
The most common use I can think of is if you already have designed an engine (for example the Ninja 650 engine) and then for some reason need to produce a lower output bike, maybe licensing regs or other restrictions. It's a whole lot cheaper to sleeve an existing design than to start a new one from scratch.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'm gonna sit on one whenever they come out. If it feels like a 650 in weight then Kawasaki will have failed. One of the greatest things that the 300 has to offer is how nimble it is. an engine built to 400cc specs would add some nice oomph and, relatively, only a little more of weight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts