Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm somewhat new to the forum, I've been reading for almost two months and just created an account :happy:

I'm looking at a 2014 300 ABS SE white but have a few questions before I finally go and make my purchase. (should have it in a week or two? :yahoo: )

I actually have a couple serious questions so I'll try to separate and phrase this correctly.

- To start, what separates the '13 from the '14 besides ABS models having more colors to choose from in the U.S. I have no choice but to purchase from a dealership so I want the best deal I can get :laugh:

- Also, should I bother getting frame sliders from the dealership or are they too expensive there? And on that note, should I bundle gear from the dealership onto my bikes OTD price or should I just buy online?

- Insurance; I'm 22 years old and I just took the MSF course and got my license. It was a BLAST. I will be financing the bike, so I'll need full coverage.. I've been quoted between $65-190 a month mostly depending on deductable.
- My quest here; is insurance really worth having? Should I just go with $2,000 deductibles and get the lowest monthly payments or eat the 180ish a month and know I'll only have to pay 500 out of pocket incase of an emergency. My philosophy here is if I ever crash I'll probably total my bike so It's either all in or nothing at all for insurance?
- Do keep in mind I'm on a pretty tight budget and full insurance over the course of 2-4 years is easily over half the bikes msrp price :sad:

- I love that the 300 gets great MPG, I'm coming from a vehicle that had 15MPG.. I love the power of the Ninja, the style, ABS is a great confidence booster along with slipper clutch, It's just a great starter bike..

That said, Is the Ninja 300 a great investment? Now Honestly no one can answer this but the buyer himself. Will it still be fun to ride by the time it's paid off, how much maintenance will it cost to keep up 4 years from now? What's the life span of motorcycles? This will be my daily driver, 6 days a week! I need to know that it can handle the beating. Keep in mind, the commute to work is less than 20 miles ROUND trip :laugh: So I won't be putting insane miles on it from commuting to work.. that'll be from joy rides :)

I know I'm rambling here and kind of getting off topic, I was going to ask if it would be a greater investment long term to get a 600 but I think I'm going to pass the 300 down to my wife when it's paid off and get my own 600+ then.. - I know I just answered my own question haha.. Can't wait to be part of this community :)

- Any other advice before making my purchase would be appreciated! I'm too nervous to talk the price down because my credit is just so bad I'm just thankful that I can even finance one. Just trying to learn as much as I can and be prepared!

- Oh! One last question, I live in Florida so there's like 50% chance to rain 365 days a year.. or it feels like it. For those that don't know; Florida showers usually don't last very long, there's a high chance to rain like 3 out of 7 days a week and even more coming into this rainy season. tl;dr How does the 300 perform in the rain? I may have no choice but to ride to work in the rain and have really been wanting to know.. Are the stock tires okay for rain? Will people see me okay with my brights on, it will be the Mostly white/black SE so it's pretty visible imo. ( I know bikes are invisible but you hear me.)

Man I keep remember questions as I continue to write haha.

- Riding at night. I work full time Night shifts so It's usually dark as I'm going to work. Anything I should know about riding at night, that I might not have thought of?

Thanks guys! Sorry for the long read, was trying to get all my newb rider questions out on one thread. :)

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
The 300 is rock-solid, and will handle anything you can throw at it.

For insurance, it's only there for emergencies, so go with a low-payment high deductible. Your bike won't get crashed or stolen, right? If it does, you're protected. Be sure to get full-coverage though, despite the cost as a 22-year-old male.

Any modern bike will handle rain quite well, especially the 300.

The 2013 white has a white tank. If you want a white tank, gotta go with a 2013. The 2014 white has a black tank. The 2014 will likely ship with the ECU and brake hose bracket recall fixes. Oh yeah, fairing fixes too.

The 2013 has two recalls on it (ECU and brake-hose bracket), which if you buy used may have been completed by the previous-owner.

Reactions: BeginnerNinja

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The 300 is rock-solid, and will handle anything you can throw at it.

For insurance, it's only there for emergencies, so go with a low-payment high deductible. Your bike won't get crashed or stolen, right? If it does, you're protected. Be sure to get full-coverage though, despite the cost as a 22-year-old male.

Any modern bike will handle rain quite well, especially the 300.

The 2013 white has a white tank. If you want a white tank, gotta go with a 2013. The 2014 white has a black tank. The 2014 will likely ship with the ECU and brake hose bracket recall fixes. Oh yeah, fairing fixes too.

The 2013 has two recalls on it (ECU and brake-hose bracket), which if you buy used may have been completed by the previous-owner.

I am 21 also and insurance is crazy hight for me to :( never thought of a high deductible. Wondering if i should go with that also since i don't even have full coverage!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
83 Posts
First off - Welcome and congrants on your (pending) purchase! You will love the 300 as a motorcycle :) I included my personal opinions on your questions below.

- To start, what separates the '13 from the '14 besides ABS models having more colors to choose from in the U.S. I have no choice but to purchase from a dealership so I want the best deal I can get :laugh:
Should just be ABS and color options, along with the '14's already having the corrected ECU's (I may have missed something though)

- Also, should I bother getting frame sliders from the dealership or are they too expensive there? And on that note, should I bundle gear from the dealership onto my bikes OTD price or should I just buy online?
I think this is personal preference and dependent on the dealer's costs. I would personally lean towards getting gear ASAP, even before you get the bike. If this means buying gear online and being ready to ride when you get the bike, even better.

- Insurance; I'm 22 years old and I just took the MSF course and got my license. It was a BLAST. I will be financing the bike, so I'll need full coverage.. I've been quoted between $65-190 a month mostly depending on deductable.
- My quest here; is insurance really worth having? Should I just go with $2,000 deductibles and get the lowest monthly payments or eat the 180ish a month and know I'll only have to pay 500 out of pocket incase of an emergency. My philosophy here is if I ever crash I'll probably total my bike so It's either all in or nothing at all for insurance?
- Do keep in mind I'm on a pretty tight budget and full insurance over the course of 2-4 years is easily over half the bikes msrp price :sad:
I think this depends on a few factors. How handy are you at repairing your bike? For reference, the tank on our '13 SE was dented and we had a $1000 deductible. Suffice it to say, I obtained a good used tank cheap and will be swapping it over for <$200. There are a lot of smaller things that can damage a bike and make it inoperative while still coming in under what insurance would cover. If this is your ONLY method of transportation, a lower deductible may be the way to go in order to insure speedy, complete repairs rather than having to save up the money to fix the bike.

That said, Is the Ninja 300 a great investment? Now Honestly no one can answer this but the buyer himself. Will it still be fun to ride by the time it's paid off, how much maintenance will it cost to keep up 4 years from now? What's the life span of motorcycles? This will be my daily driver, 6 days a week! I need to know that it can handle the beating. Keep in mind, the commute to work is less than 20 miles ROUND trip :laugh: So I won't be putting insane miles on it from commuting to work.. that'll be from joy rides :)
Two Words - PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE. Don't skimp on maintaining your bike and it will last longer than you ever thought it might. The Ninja will take the daily riding in stride and the 250's (very similar frame/motor) are known to last a good long while, properly cared for.

Regarding value, even USED 250's are still selling for $2000 - $4000 depending on condition. They retain value due to Kawasaki's prevalence in the beginner bike market.

- Oh! One last question, I live in Florida so there's like 50% chance to rain 365 days a year.. or it feels like it. For those that don't know; Florida showers usually don't last very long, there's a high chance to rain like 3 out of 7 days a week and even more coming into this rainy season. tl;dr How does the 300 perform in the rain? I may have no choice but to ride to work in the rain and have really been wanting to know.. Are the stock tires okay for rain? Will people see me okay with my brights on, it will be the Mostly white/black SE so it's pretty visible imo. ( I know bikes are invisible but you hear me.)
The stock tires will do fine. I daily rode our Ninja on a 50+ mile round trip commute for the latter half of 2013 without issues. The main things are to ride respecting the weather, i.e. don't go too fast in rain, brake too hard or late etc and the bike will take it in stride.

Regarding visibility, the stock lights are sufficient, but even upgrading to a PIAA H4 will help as they are a good compromise between stock and HIDs.

- Riding at night. I work full time Night shifts so It's usually dark as I'm going to work. Anything I should know about riding at night, that I might not have thought of?
Just the usual stuff, expect animals to dart out on you without warning, and ride according to how far you can see, even if it is slower than the posted speed limit. Also, assume everyone didn't see you, as you may run into the "morning zombies" on their way to work that are running in a half-asleep autopilot mode.

Reactions: BeginnerNinja

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow thanks for the quick responses!

- Spacep0D! I love your videos :) I love your bike, but I think I like the '14 black tank better. I want it more black with white trim not opposite :D Thanks for helping me see the difference and pointing out the recalls!

- Shadow24V, Some solid advice, thanks man. I do have access to a car if need be, it's just not mine so ya know how that is? yeah. I'm pretty handy so I believe I could replace any broken parts myself (maybe some guidance from the forum :emot-angel: ) , the High deductible would mostly be if I total'd the bike. I hear ya on most things that break being under the 500 deductible hence me asking is it even worth it? So you helped me answer that question, :)

- Icon, yeah bud if you have high monthly payments all you have to do is raise your deductible but BEWARE, it'll just hurt you if you ever do need the insurance. I started driving vehicles at 15 so when I got my license at 16 I was paying 250 a month for insurance which hurt BAD.. I only needed insurance to be "legal". I've been driving 6+ years in Florida without a single accident though so. (Red mustang haha.. It was a old '97).

- As for gear, I already have a full set of nice armored mesh gear (Jacket, pants, boots, helmet, gloves) picked out and in a cart online I was just asking if I should bundle from my dealer before buying online for a better deal? (Cyclegear.com) (Sorry if I'm not allowed to say or link that site.) I'll post all my gear on a different thread another time to keep this thread relevant :) - All the gear all the time.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I commute day/night wet or dry abs it did great, if you have that much of a risk of rain at all times I would be sticking a set of rain gear in my bag along with some extra socks. You kind of have a good reasoning with the insurance since a little damage goes a long way t words reaching the total loss, but I would be careful with that since I think if your found at fault in an accident you have to pay your deductable. Who do you have for insurance? I have farmers and I think my insurance is something like 150 a month, I'm 26with a "not so good" record. Make sure your insurance covers any passengers as well as any gear and aftermarket parts

·
Registered
453 Posts
All advice given so far is sound advice. All I would say is, in regards to the insurance, shop around. Being 21, a guy, insuring a motorcycle, and living in Florida, you're pretty much screwed any way you look at it, but it doesn't hurt to shop around. Some companies discount more for bundling, some say they do, but it ends up being cheaper going on your own. My cars and bike are insured by two different companies because I got two separate "good deals" for my respective situations. Also if you work for a large enough company, look into any employee/corporate discounts you may be eligible for and any student related discounts if you qualify. Good luck and congrats on your choice of a wonderful bike.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
one thing nobody mentioned when your going to buy your new bike, is tell the dealer you want a free 1st service. they might not be able to do it, they might just be able to do labour only, but do it anyhow, sadly many people forget to do this

·
Registered
240 Posts
PLEASE...Don't cheap out on insurance! It's not only designed to cover your bike, it would also cover the other persons vehicle as well as their medical bills in the event the accident was your fault. Also, if you have an accident and don't carry enough insurance you can be sued personally for damages, which could result in wage garnishment and/or the loss of your home, car, bike and savings. Better to pay for the best coverage you can afford rather than risk your financial future, IMHO

·
Registered
2,366 Posts

1. Nothing but color and all safety recalls would have been performed at the factory.

2. No, accessories at the dealer are marked up like crazy. Better deals can be found on the internet. The same goes for gear, price it out on the web then if the dealer has stuff you want, price it out there (including the discount) and see who has a better price.

3. Damn straight insurance is worth having. For your protection and for others. In regards to which plan to pick. You have to sit down with your agent and do the math to determine which is cheaper. Keep in mind that you're a newb so the likely hood of you dropping you bike or getting into a single motorcycle accident is extremely high. You'll have no choice, as you said, because you're financing.

4. Get GAP insurance because you're financing. You don't want to be responsible to pay back the loan on your old bike and a new bike if yours is totaled.

5. Performs fine in the rain. I live in Louisiana and have gotten caught in some shit-tastic rain storms. No issues. Just ride smart.

6. DO NOT USE YOUR BRIGHTS IN THE RAIN. YOU'RE GOING TO BLIND OTHER DRIVERS AND MAKE IT A MUCH MORE DANGEROUS SITUATION. BRIGHTS DON'T HELP YOU SEE IN THE RAIN.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Otd 2014 se abs

I was quoted $6500 out the door, in Northern California! This now looks like a lot, considering some of you are paying way lower for the 2014 SE ABS!
I am looking to make the purchase tomorrow. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys! I will have full coverage, including full medical and even loss of bike incase it's total'd, I'm saying I my aswell have 2,000 deductible, meaning If I crash I pay the 2,000 and they cover the rest. Since fairing are only 100-300? so a $500 won't even help if I drop it, and if I crash, chances are, the bike will be total'd anyways.

if I have it 500 deductible my monthly will be around 175. Meaning by the time the bike is paid off, I would have spent over 4-6,000 on insurance alone. :(

Ducati_Dave, I hear ya about brites in rain, thanks bud.

KawiGirl23 that seems like a lot, but Mine might be around there too.. Honestly it also depends a lot on your credit and location of where you buy. IMHO if it lasts at least 5+ years then it is well worth it as a commuter bike and for joy rides.

·
Registered
240 Posts
if I have it 500 deductible my monthly will be around 175.
EEEK!!! Really?!?!?!? Holy shit!!
I'm considered a new rider because I've never had a bike registered in my name before and I'm paying $193 a YEAR. Why is yours so high? Is it your geographic area? Do you have prior accidents with your car policy? I'm boggled over here!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EEEK!!! Really?!?!?!? Holy shit!!
I'm considered a new rider because I've never had a bike registered in my name before and I'm paying $193 a YEAR. Why is yours so high? Is it your geographic area? Do you have prior accidents with your car policy? I'm boggled over here!!
Clean record, six years of vehicles but new rider, brand new bike and needing full coverage plus regular coverage. I live in Florida so we're reealllly populated around most of the roads and highways, lots of accidents.

Pretty sure if I've been riding for over 3 years and own the bike outright, I could probably be covered for around there too.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
This will be my daily driver, 6 days a week! I need to know that it can handle the beating. Keep in mind, the commute to work is less than 20 miles ROUND trip :laugh: So I won't be putting insane miles on it from commuting to work.. that'll be from joy rides :)

about the only thing that will really let you down is the crapola steering stem bearings, they need to be upgraded to tapered roller bearings, we have a few threads on it, once thats done, the bikes are pretty good.

as for the miles, if this guys can do over 300,000 kilometers on a suzuki GSX250F across and never tear down his motor

http://www.geocities.jp/tetsu_iron/

then i cant see any reason why we cant do the same either

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.