Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't begin to write out how many times I've been lane splitting and had people (usually soccer moms in SUVs) actively try to stop me from splitting. It doesn't matter where I am, be it the freeways or the city streets, at least three times a week it happens. Mostly its the people on the city streets who see me coming up in their side mirrors and move towards the center another inch or two making it impossible to pass without removing said mirror. Does this happen to you guys as well, or am I just that big of a target?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I can't begin to write out how many times I've been lane splitting and had people (usually soccer moms in SUVs) actively try to stop me from splitting. It doesn't matter where I am, be it the freeways or the city streets, at least three times a week it happens. Mostly its the people on the city streets who see me coming up in their side mirrors and move towards the center another inch or two making it impossible to pass without removing said mirror. Does this happen to you guys as well, or am I just that big of a target?
I used to get people open their doors on my all the time. One time on the way to work I even had a slurpee thrown at me. Probably karma for the time my mirror smacked the cigarette out of someones hand once:D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Lane splitting needs more public attention. I would imagine if a person don't ride, they have no clue. They probably just see some guy on a bike passing everyone.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
330 Posts
Lane splitting needs more public attention. I would imagine if a person don't ride, they have no clue. They probably just see some guy on a bike passing everyone.
Still doesn't give them the right to purposely try to block you in or cause you harm. If they don't like being stuck in traffic then get a bike. I don't know if you ever got stuck in california traffic before but people in cages think just because theyre stuck in traffic it gives them the right to play god and decide who's getting stuck along with them. It's like they take it personal or something that we get to ride on by.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
They shouldn't do that, but my point is they may think y'all are doing something illegal. I have never been their, I live in Louisiana.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Even though it's not legal in FL, plenty of people do it and even more people will go out of their way to stop it.

Unfortunately it's human nature to ruin things for others just because their own situation sucks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
At least now CHP has put out official guidelines regarding lane-splitting, including the responsibilities of car drivers. Hopefully that info gets passed around over time and people get a bit more educated on the subject.

I'm definitely with you about cagers "playing god." It just astounds me how little regard some people have for the life of other human beings just because they're impatient or jealous. Even if it were illegal, you'd still be purposely endangering, possibly killing, a person.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Most CA drivers seem to know that it's permissible (it's not legal or illegal). However, a few know it's permissible and want to stop you anyway. I usually have a GoPro with me (on my chinbar). If someone acts up, I'll start recording (and make sure to get their plate).

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Is this info on the initial drivers test for cagers? If not, it needs to be. I would come unglued if someone toyed with my life.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
No reason to even lane split honestly. Its dangerous, and its not a big deal. Just wait in turn like everyone else and filter through once moving again.

No reason to risk some schmuck knocking u off your bike and causing damage just to get to the front of the line. Im actually glad its illegal where I live.

·
Registered
330 Posts
No reason to even lane split honestly. Its dangerous, and its not a big deal. Just wait in turn like everyone else and filter through once moving again.

No reason to risk some schmuck knocking u off your bike and causing damage just to get to the front of the line. Im actually glad its illegal where I live.
If there was reason then it wouldn't be legal in California in the first place. Besides if we "waited in line" like everyone else we would be contributing to the traffic. By getting us all of the road we reduce the amount of vehicles on the freeway.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Most CA drivers seem to know that it's permissible (it's not legal or illegal). However, a few know it's permissible and want to stop you anyway. I usually have a GoPro with me (on my chinbar). If someone acts up, I'll start recording (and make sure to get their plate).
This is the exact reason I will be getting a GoPro myself.
Kinda of topic but are you the guy on youtube that rocks the space suit?

·
Hero of Time
1,352 Posts

funny when you have an opinion its right and should be law for everyone around you :) not good at seeing things from more than 1 perspective eh?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
lane splitting hasn't been made illegal in California so there isn't anything wrong with doing it so long as it's done prudently at safe speeds. The CHP website says that motorists using their vehicle to obstruct, endanger, and assault a motorcyclist using their vehicle will be facing the full force of the law. I've already heard of aggravated assault and assault with a deadly weapon being charged for a case or two where the rider was permanently harmed from people doing this. Since you have video footage of it, have a talk with your local CHP office and see what you can do. Filing reports and submitting a copy of the video could do wonders. To those who think it's wrong to "ruin" someone else's life over this, they made the choice to potentially kill someone else knowing full well the consequences and show obvious intent. There isn't a judge or jury who would believe a person stating that they didn't know their 2 ton hunk of metal could kill someone.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Please please please tell me you are just kidding. Not because you can't do it make it illegal. As what others said, do you honestly think they would make it legal if it would cause more harm than benefits? It helps decongest traffic in LA and deemed safer for bikers to be seen more easily and able to control their environment as opposed to what you say staying on your lane and wait for in attentive driver to sandwich you. Cager tend to look on the brake lights of a car in front of them to gauge their distance rather than to look at stop lights or vehicle in front of them when stopping or slowing down. Here's a site to enlighten you a bit bro.
http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html
Be safe!

·
Registered
368 Posts
When I visited OC area, saw a guy lane split behind a biker cop on the free way, he just follows the cop around traffic, was a sight to see.

Everyone who owns a driver license should be required to take a motorcycle class, they'll be a lot more aware and educated on the road.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

This is one of the most uneducated post on this forum. Please take a little time to do some research before you go tasting your shoe.

Good article, great video. http://rideapart.com/2013/01/flashback-friday-how-to-lane-split/

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Please please please tell me you are just kidding. Not because you can't do it make it illegal. As what others said, do you honestly think they would make it legal if it would cause more harm than benefits? It helps decongest traffic in LA and deemed safer for bikers to be seen more easily and able to control their environment as opposed to what you say staying on your lane and wait for in attentive driver to sandwich you. Cager tend to look on the brake lights of a car in front of them to gauge their distance rather than to look at stop lights or vehicle in front of them when stopping or slowing down. Here's a site to enlighten you a bit bro.
http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html
Be safe!
I get worried a lot about an inattentive driver, likely texting, seeing the car ahead of you, but not you. I see way too many inattentive drivers all the time while driving the car, especially in traffic. Hell, cars tailgating super close make me nervous in the car, much less on the bike. I can avoid that by lane splitting. I prefer not being a sandwich.

·
Registered
25 Posts
lol @ the wait in turn comment.

I get the occasional dbag who moves to block me while splitting, but I also get cars that will move over allowing me more room to pass when they see me. Cagers are a mixed bag.

The best thing you can do for yourself is ride with a gopro. It covers your ass in so many ways.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts