Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. The dealer recommended that I use 93 premium gas because it has additives which counteract the negative impact ethanol can have on an engine. I really don't want to spend the extra money if there's very little benefit. But if 87 really gums up a motorcycle engine over time or if you get a major performance benefit then maybe it'd be worth an extra $1 per fill up. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks, Matthew.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Don't buy that B.S.
87 will do just fine. This bike doesn't have a real high compression engine.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
yeah my dealer said the same thing, use 91 or 93, whichever was higher but in the OM, it specifically states 87 will do the job. still i may use mid-grade just because it's only pennies more and one never knows. it's like that in my mustang... 87 works, 91 works better. i just use 87 because in a car the dollars add up quick but in a 4.5 gallon tank? it may cost me an extra $1.50, if that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
~~
It's all BS. Higher octane gasoline isn't cleaner, it just ignites differently. It all depends on what octane gasoline a specific engine was designed to run on. If the Kawi manual says 87, use 87.
~~

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If you have money to burn, do whatever you want. But I very much doubt you will actually see measurable benefits. I'm going with what the engine was designed to run on, 87.

I have a van that is designed to run on 87. It is currently sitting at 335000 Kms (208159 miles). Everything else is falling apart but the engine. Most important things you can do is are your scheduled oil changes, and don't abuse the engine with the red line too much.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The issue brought up isn't the octane rating. I think what your dealer was pointing the finger at is ethanol. It is always debated how bad ethanol is for cars. I wish I could get ethanol free 87 89 91 and 94/93

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
The issue brought up isn't the octane rating. I think what your dealer was pointing the finger at is ethanol. It is always debated how bad ethanol is for cars. I wish I could get ethanol free 87 89 91 and 94/93

Not sure about your area, but there are a couple websites that show us where Etho free gas stations are.. we likes !!

http://pure-gas.org/

http://www.buyrealgas.com/

Reactions: ionized

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
this. whether it's designed for it or not, 10% ethanol blends are not good for engines...

·
Registered
17 Posts
~~
It's all BS. Higher octane gasoline isn't cleaner, it just ignites differently. It all depends on what octane gasoline a specific engine was designed to run on. If the Kawi manual says 87, use 87.
~~
The manual states to use a minimum of 87 octane.

·
Registered
294 Posts
i just went mid grade, here its 89, it was only like 50 cents more, no biggie, I can afford that, however, my car lives on 87 oct. and still rides good at 150k mi.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yikes, you pay 50 cents more for mid-grade over regular? I won't buy mid-grade if its 15 cents more than the cheap stuff.

The discussion of octane is pretty irrelevant, anyhow, unless (as mentioned several hundred times on these forums already) you're running a high-compression-ratio engine, which the 300 isn't. If you're worried about ethanol, buy ethanol-free gas. If you want the cleaning additives added by some distributors, don't buy from the "cheap" stations (that's usually why it's cheaper).

·
Registered
159 Posts
If the engine is not running a high compression theres no need for higher octane. For you guys are a little concerned about have less ethanol and cleaner gasolines just pay a bit more or add your own solutions in the tank. I would just stick with regular 87.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts