Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I already looked through the threads and found generally what they look at and price wise for everyone else, but I was wondering if anyone knew a fairly exact checklist on what you are paying for. I am aware that different dealerships do different things for this "full service" however I was quoted 200 bucks for both my bike and my dad's FZ6R each, and I was wondering what should I expect as the bare minimum services aside from the oil change as I want to be able to check I get what I paid for rather than just a glorified oil change.

I definitely trust these guys but I just want to be thorough. This question is particularly aimed for you bike mechanic savvy guys that know the main things that should be checked/done on the bike for that first (expensive) service.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Indeed it does vary between dealerships, but a good one will usually change the oil and filter, and check over important aspects of the bike to see if they are working as they should be. Valve clearences, coolant levels, tightness of fittings. Can vary.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The 600 service items are listed in your owner's manual. Pretty basic stuff, make sure all the bolts are still tight, idle adjustment (they come high from the factory for some reason), oil and filter change, adjust cables excess free play if any, and check chain slack plus clean and lube.

Honestly, it all things you can do yourself for under $50 or less depending on the oil you choose. You see the prices can go from $150 and up at the dealership based on the posts here. Your call, but there is no valve clearance check at 600 miles though. That is a longer ways down the road.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If you trust them, go for it. As for me? I don't trust my dealer's maintenance shop at ALL. Too many of the guys in there seem extremely lazy. I have a feeling they'll change the oil then go talk on the phone for 30 minutes, and roll my bike out of the shop and say how great everything looks.

I just did my oil change, and I may consider going to a dealer for the 3,000 mile service (not going to be the same dealer I bought my bike from though).

Mobil 1 MX4T is ~$16 at my dealership per quart, I went to autozone and grabbed 3 bottles, $8 per quart. Just do it yourself.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The 600 service items are listed in your owner's manual. Pretty basic stuff, make sure all the bolts are still tight, idle adjustment (they come high from the factory for some reason), oil and filter change, adjust cables excess free play if any, and check chain slack plus clean and lube.
Brought my bike in unannounced a few days ago and the guys at my new (and from now on ONLY) shop finished up their lunch then got right to my 600 mile service. The owner actually did the service himself because he races 250s and wanted to check my bike out first hand and in addition to checking/adjusting everything mentioned above he also checked my rear suspension and set it up to better handle the 150 of pure muscle I bring to the seat when I ride. All told I spent $95 for the service and an up close and personal lesson on how a Ninja 300 is put together, they certainly earned themselves a repeat customer that day!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Brought my bike in unannounced a few days ago and the guys at my new (and from now on ONLY) shop finished up their lunch then got right to my 600 mile service. The owner actually did the service himself because he races 250s and wanted to check my bike out first hand and in addition to checking/adjusting everything mentioned above he also checked my rear suspension and set it up to better handle the 150 of pure muscle I bring to the seat when I ride. All told I spent $95 for the service and an up close and personal lesson on how a Ninja 300 is put together, they certainly earned themselves a repeat customer that day!
Best price I have read online here yet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
By agreement with the (only) importer/dealer, we are going on a somewhat accelerated initial maintenance schedule. First service will be at 500km (310mi), with a second inserted 1,000km later. That´s to accommodate a somewhat (not very) accelerated break-in schedule. I have babied mine completely but the 4,000 rpm limit seems to me ridiculous after the first 100km.

Just opinion, but to me tit for tat. Cut back even a little on the factory printed break-in schedule, cut the times on the initial maintenance schedule for the little aluminum-sleeved beastie accordingly.

·
Registered
958 Posts
They often do have check lists that include things like cleaning and oiling the chain, checking it for proper adjustment. Adjust air pressure, check all fasteners and bolts for proper tightness and torque, check brake and clutch levers for free play and adjust if necessary, oil cables, fluid levels, check steering head bearing for wobble, check lights,horn. Test ride to see how it performs. On the 300, they would not check valves, air filter, or plugs at 600 miles. I had my 4000 mile oil change today. The guy was very thorough, even checked my air filter and replaced it "free" ahead of time. Then he washed and air dried the bike. Took him nearly 2 hours to do everything. This is a Gixxer 1000 though and I have a service contract, but if anything, a disreputable dealer would skimp on this since he's already been pre-paid for service. Another dealer I know does only the oil change at 600 miles...nothing else. He even told me so. Again not a Kawasaki dealer, but as was said, there will be a huge disparity between what you get for your $200. For sure have a check list and ask about things like fairings fit and the Ninja stall, if that affects your bike. Watch them do the service if you can.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Owners manual tells you what to check at 600mi it also says its extremely inmportant to have the first maintenance done at 600mi by a professional motorcycle mechanic authorized by kawi

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
221 Posts
For doing my 600mi service, installing clip-ons, installing fork preload adjusters, and installing a new stem nut, I paid $380.

Pretty happy with that considering I was paying for 2+ hours of work on top of my service.

·
Registered
53 Posts
600 mile service done at a one Kawasaki dealer is the same in Kawasaki all dealers. They all go by the factory service standards as reflected in the factory service manual. The factory insist on this. It is $140.00 plus parts. No they don't each make up their own rules. They have contracts with the company each franchise must comply with. Service is rigid.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Did mine in my garage after my last ride. The original oil filter was a bear to remove. The cap wrench was not strong enough, so I had to resort to some large pliers. They must not have put any oil on the seal at the factory, it took some serious force to get it off and I did end up removing the lower right fairing for access ot the filter which had its top crushed in the process.
I like taking care of my own vehicles. Commission techs are always looking to minimize their time on the job, I know becasue I was one a long time ago. I prefer to take my time and check everything thoroughly, since time to me is a plentiful resource.

Used Valvoline synthetic and a factory filter, kept the reciepts for both for proof of purchase. It looks like the same filter as my previous Vulcan 500 and those are avaialble from Wal Mart for half what the dealer wanted. Probably $34 with aftermarket versus $40 with OEM filter.

The idle was very high (2200) when I got the bike, probably adjusted by PO. That was easy to correct and everything else seems fine. I did tighten the fairing screws a little bit higher than they were when I took them off.

regards
Mech

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry, Am I understand that on fist 600miles (1st) service is quote over US$200 in the USA?

That's very expensive service!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mine in Thailand , I wasn't get to Dealer's service and bought oil filter only$7 and then changed oil by myself.

If you want a full service and they quote not over US$40 for oil change and oil filter at 1st service to checking on manual's owner.

The dealer in Thailand are guaranteed for 2 years but the biker have to pay for the maintenance expense to cover the guaranteed within 2 years. After that the dealer will not responsible with factory part anymore.

I will consider to full service when hit 6500 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Ok, here's my question. I am not going to void my warranty by doing my own 600-mile service, am I? I pretty-sure I can do this all myself. I also have my own service-manual for the 300.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok, here's my question. I am not going to void my warranty by doing my own 600-mile service, am I? I pretty-sure I can do this all myself. I also have my own service-manual for the 300.
I asked my dealer this question and he said that in the states it will in fact void your warranty. You can do your own oil change, but the rest must be done by their mechanics. I would still check with your dealer though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts