Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at race parts on the Spears site for this upcoming racing season. Forgive my lack of knowledge but can they really get 43 HP out of the ninja by just doing a full exhaust, head gasket and removing secondaries?
https://www.spearsenterprises.com/kawasaki-ex300.html

I think altering the fuel injection system is illegal in our race series. What's involved in doing that? I'm guessing some tuning and a power commander as well?

What's involved in getting the benefits out of a high compression head gasket? It can't be just take the old one off and slap the new one in can it? Isn't that a recipe for knocking or other engine problems?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Those numbers are not out of line for those mods.

Spears is very well respected, and knows how to set-up and tune a race bike.

The Ninja engine has a lot of potential, and some areas are under-developed from the factory, so decent power improvements are not extremely difficult to achieve.

I will add that the final HP number has a lot to do with the dyno, and the only way to know anything is an improvement (or not) is to have a number of base runs to compare it to. Otherwise the numbers don't tell you much.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Those numbers are not out of line for those mods.

I will add that the final HP number has a lot to do with the dyno, and the only way to know anything is an improvement (or not) is to have a number of base runs to compare it to. Otherwise the numbers don't tell you much.

That's the old bathroom scales methodology. They may be wrong, but if they're consistently wrong they're still useful.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you ever go with any of the Spears Racing engine kits? I am interested in anyone using the +2mm or +4mm overbore kit and what their results were.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm interested too, but I think you'd have to find someone to bore out your cylinders if you go with the overbore kits. Quite a bit of money involved, I wonder how much power simply their drop-in pistons and ECU flash would gain?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm interested too, but I think you'd have to find someone to bore out your cylinders if you go with the overbore kits. Quite a bit of money involved, I wonder how much power simply their drop-in pistons and ECU flash would gain?
Pretty sure most big bore kits will come with new cylinders in addition to pistons. That way your clearances should be set. The Ninja cylinders have a Nicisil-type plating, so that has to be redone also if you bore the stock cylinders.

A thinner head gasket helps bump the stock low compression.

Talk to Spears.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Still wondering if anyone has tried the +2mm or +4mm overbore kit. I have yet to find anyone who has used them successfully.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts