Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I went on a ride today which would have totalled about 200km altogether. About halfway in, just as we were heading back, I came off my bike on Wiseman's Ferry Road (in NSW, Australia).

Essentially what had happened was that I was slowing down to take a turn, but felt I hadn't slowed enough. In hindsight, I would have probably made the turn, but my confidence isn't too high when it comes to twists and curves. Anyway, not wanting to brake and turn at the same time, I started to brake, and realising I was straightening up but still going too fast for my comfort zone (I was well within the speed limit, and wasn't doing anything stupid), I ran off the road in the hopes of bringing my bike to a complete stop.

Unfortunately the bike was going too fast when it went off the bitumen, and the gravel etc toppled my bike over. No major injuries thankfully, just a sprained hand and road rash. Had my helmet, jacket, gloves & kevlar jeans which really helped!! I was so thankful for my gear! Luckily the guy I was riding with, much more experienced than me, came back to help me out and gave me a lift to the nearest train station (about an hour away) and I made my way home.
A couple of cars pulled over and gave me a hand too, which was very nice :)

The bike fell on its ride side, the mirror snapped off and there's damage to the exhaust pipe etc. I didn't take any photos but I will when I go back to pick it up.

A lot learnt from this experience, I will definitely be super cautious when it comes to unfamiliar roads (this was my first time venturing into areas that aren't urban). My companion told me that the bike was definitely repairable, and that it didn't look too bad, I'm definitely looking forward to getting it back :p Kinda exciting tbh, to have the chance to repair it :)

Thanks for reading!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cruizin :) That's what I thought as well, I don't mind repairing the bike, I just don't want to be too badly hurt :p

·
Registered
192 Posts
Oh man, glad you're ok! Good to hear you were wearing your gear too, no telling how much damage could have been done to your body otherwise. Even the smallest and slowest of falls can still be painful if there's nothing to protect our skin from pavement and other harsh surfaces.
But sorry about the damage to your bike, sounds like it won't be too bad to repair, so there's a good side. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh man, glad you're ok! Good to hear you were wearing your gear too, no telling how much damage could have been done to your body otherwise. Even the smallest and slowest of falls can still be painful if there's nothing to protect our skin from pavement and other harsh surfaces.
But sorry about the damage to your bike, sounds like it won't be too bad to repair, so there's a good side. :)
Definitely true about the gear :) For longer and more ambitious rides such as this, I think I will gear up fully :) Definitely worth it!! Although road rash isn't serious (not mine anyway), it's annoying to treat (washing and bandages, etc). I hope to get the bike back up and running soon! It'll be fun fixing it up I'm sure :) Thanks for your well wishes :)

Wow it's good you're okay someone recently died in my area from an incident like that
Damn, that's really unfortunate. I consider myself pretty luck actually! I read about your accident mate, and I hope you do fix up your own bike really well :) Thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys,

I've attached a few pics of the damage my bike sustained in my tumble. Was hoping you guys could give me some insight into how expensve/difficult it would be to fix it up :)

Pic 1, you can see the right hand fairing is a bit cracked, so I'm assuming the entire fairing will have to be replaced.

Pic 2 I think shows the worst of the damage - the exhaust pipe is a bit messed up, but I was always going to replace it, so I'm not too fussed. However, the ballast or whatever holds the right foot peg + rear brake pedal has broken off from the body and is just hanging there by the cables that are connected to it... I'm not sure what the part is called exactly. The spring that the rear brake pedal pulls I think is a bit loosened up because it had been activating the brake light, but after repositioning it a little bit, it no longer activates the brake light... I hope it's not something major =/

In pic 3, you can see that the fairing? next to the rear seat is discoloured, but I don't think it's anything further than that. My indicators survived! They feel a little loose, but are fully functional. My right mirror snapped off however, and is lying on my bike's seat as you can see :p

That's about it :) I hope it isn't too bad, but any and all insight into my bike's repair will be majorly appreciated!! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
James Bond can get out of anything. Glad all is well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 12 of 12 Posts