Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started riding when I was 16. Been riding 31 years, and have owned 4 Ninja 250's. Bought new in 1988, used 1989 (in 2005), used 2007, new 2008 and now a new 2013 Moondust Gray SE with ABS Canadian Model. Pick it up this Friday, can't wait!

I've owned over 20 motorcycles, and still own a 1987 Yamaha TZR250 (two stroke) and a 1988 Yamaha YSR50 (two stroke mini sportbike, road legal), and a 1989 Yamaha TDR50 (yes, another two stroke).

I was one of the first people on the ninja250.com forums, and helped to start the forum. I am still a regular member. I am exited to also be a part of this forum!

Previous bikes:

Previous:
2008 Kawi Ninja 250
2007 Kawi Ninja 250
2004 Yamaha FZ6
1997 BMW Funduro
1990 Honda CB1
1989 Honda Hawk GT
1987 Yamaha TZR250
1986 Suzuki RG400
1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1975 Suzuki GT550 Indy
1988 Yamaha TZR250
1989 Suzuki GSXR 1100
1986 Yamaha SRX 650
1977 Kawi Widowmaker
1977 Honda CB400F
1986 Suzuki RG500 Gamma
1988 Kawi Ninja 250
1982 Honda CB900
1982 Honda CB400T
1982 Honda Scooter

Attachments

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cruizin: That is because I liked it so much I bought two of them :) Once in 1988 and once in the year 2000.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I started riding when I was 16. Been riding 31 years, and have owned 4 Ninja 250's. Bought new in 1988, used 1989 (in 2005), used 2007, new 2008 and now a new 2013 Moondust Gray SE with ABS Canadian Model. Pick it up this Friday, can't wait!

I've owned over 20 motorcycles, and still own a 1987 Yamaha TZR250 (two stroke) and a 1988 Yamaha YSR50 (two stroke mini sportbike, road legal), and a 1989 Yamaha TDR50 (yes, another two stroke).

I was one of the first people on the ninja250.com forums, and helped to start the forum. I am still a regular member. I am exited to also be a part of this forum!
Welcome to the site, I'm jealous of your YSR50 they are nice. Wanted to get one and put the yz80 motor on it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the warm welcomes! To answer your questions:

Yes, I far prefer smaller bikes to the bigger bikes. Here are a few reasons why:

1) Price! Buying brand new does not break the bank!
2) Pure, unbridled joy! I can wind up a smaller bike to its limits without killing myself. I go way too fast on the larger bikes, and that can get me into trouble with the law. I got a 43 over on my last bike (FZ6 fazer) that cost me $900 in fines...that's 1/4th the cost of a new Ninja..lol! I can take my 250 down the local twisties and beat most people on whatever they are riding. I have no trouble keeping up with the people I normally ride with (1300 Harley and husband on Versys).
3) Fuel mileage. It is always the going joke that I only fill up once while all my other riding parters fill up twice in a trip. $20 would get me about 400kms on my 250.
4) Ease of use. It is easy to push around, I can flat foot the bike, when sitting on the bike, i can easily push it backwards (try that on tippy toes on other bikes....hit some gravel and you are not as sure footed as when you are flat footed.
5) Insurance cost. My 250 runs me $400 a year. My husband pays $700 a year for his Versys. Insurance is CC based, so the bigger your bike, the more you pay (unless you ride a BMW, they have ridiculously low insurance costs because of the average age of the rider...old!)
6) Riding within your means. With a smaller bike, you don't have to worry about breaking the speed limit in first gear. My 600 could hit 80kms/hr in first gear....that's well past the speed limit in the city. I can take a corner without worrying about 100hp breaking loose in the corner. 250's stay planted, and go through the corner on the power, with ease and very smooth. I can do a wheelie if I want, but I know I won't do a wheelie by just giving it a wee bit too much throttle. I am past my stunting days. I just want to ride, and have fun, and the 250/300 does it with ease, for a low cost, and it just plain more fun to ride a smaller bike to its limits.

I would be very happy to compare the 250 and 300 side by side.

Hyper, I agree my signature is too large, so I will post my list of bikes in my introduction and leave it there.

Sloth: My ex put a YZ125 in a YSR Frame...it was NUTS!

Thanks Kripsy Kreme, got any donuts? I'm Canadian, we run on donuts!

Jeff, thanks for being nice....I'm a redhead...don't get on my bad side there kiddo! ;)

Reactions: SpicyNuggets

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Picked up the bike today. What a difference between the 08 250 and this. Smooth acceleration, smooth shifts, and great roll on power. Did not have to drop a gear on the highway to pass. Lots of grunt in the bottom end! Riding position is pretty well the same.

The ECO light is pretty cool. I assume this is to keep the bike in optimum fuel savings RPMs.

The Moondust Gray cannot be done justice with a camera. The colors just glow! It is a very sexy machine, indeed!

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Definitely a gorgeous color scheme. Got any mods in mind for it?
Have already purchased (waiting for it to arrive):

Slingshot racing red billet push gas cap
Slingshot Racing red billet steering stem nut
Corbin front and back seat in Carbon Fibre high gloss with red welts
SW-Motech Luggage Rack and Coocase (i drive to work all the time)

Also plan to either plastidip the screen black or order Double Bubble smoked screen.
Considering the Carbon Fibre wrap for the plastic bits like rekognize so smartly did :)

Reactions: Rekognize

·
Registered
257 Posts
I kinda want to remove the stickers off the sides and by the back seat and headlight. They look uber cheap, the tank might look weird after tho.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I kinda want to remove the stickers off the sides and by the back seat and headlight. They look uber cheap, the tank might look weird after tho.
I think the stickers on the fairings and tank make the bike.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yea, I'm a fan of the stickers too. I'm keeping mine. I've also been eyeing that CF wrap Rekognize did

1 - 20 of 23 Posts