Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I bought a 2016 ninja 300 with no motor from a friend. He helped with the install of another. I changed the battery, sprockets, chain, oil and coolant change, and lastly (after attempting to start it and it wont roll over) I drained the gas tank because I don't know how long it's been sitting before I cashed out for it. It was then that I noticed oil (sludge) at the end of siphoning the gas tank. The tank doesn't look clean and smooth on the inside as well.
What can it be? Should I Just get another gas tank?

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah lol no carbs...

Do you hear the contactor making a click when you press the start button? My buddy has a 250r and it wont crank over, starter motor issues I think, but you can clearly hear the relay click when we pressed the starter button, so at least we know the current was flowing, and the power was supplied.

Otherwise, the engine is not seized or anything right? If there was junk in the motor, oil or fuel side, the motor can become harder to turn over. Try turning the motor over by using a 14mm socket on the stator crank nut, it should be doable with 1 hand and a small wrench, even with spark plugs in. It should be real easy for the bike to crank over if you take out the spark plugs too.

If the engine checks out by confirming it makes sparks, isn't seized up, and fuel pump works and has good gas as mentioned, then you could try bump starting if you're confident its all in working order. If indeed its only a starter motor related issue, it should run if you can get it started.

As for the tank, what we did to my buddy's 250 tank was we took out the fuel pickup parts, and used a small pressure washer through the gas cap to spray out loose rust/dirt gently, fully air dry the tank, rinse with gasoline thoroughly, get a new fuel pickup/filter (not sure the exact nature of this piece on the FI 300) then try again. Wasn't sure if there was sensitive rubber parts in there, so we avoided rust removing chemicals or other solvents, but this could just be us being uneducated haha.

Hopefully this helps.
-Mike

·
Registered
383 Posts
Can you clarify: Does the starter turn the engine but it won't start, or does the engine/starter not turn at all.
I had a problem with mine not starting, it turned out I had jostled the starter button housing and the switch wasn't contacting. Took it apart the housing on the right grip and put it back together making sure everything was lined up, no problems since. Likely not your problem, but something that's quick and free to check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts