Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I'm no expert, but wouldn't putting a turbo on, mess up the weight distribution and change the handling of the bike? If you did do it, i'd also replace the brake components and suspension components as well. no point going fast if you can't stop.

Reactions: jeff

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just ordered a DynoTune nitrous kit with a 2.5lb bottle and a 15 shot. I'm going to see how far I can push the motor with nitrous. If the motors holds a 15 shot for awhile I'll throw a 30 shot and leave it there. I'm going to put two bottles under the rear seat cowl and have them painted black to blend in.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I just ordered a DynoTune nitrous kit with a 2.5lb bottle and a 15 shot. I'm going to see how far I can push the motor with nitrous. If the motors holds a 15 shot for awhile I'll throw a 30 shot and leave it there. I'm going to put two bottles under the rear seat cowl and have them painted black to blend in.
:O link?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I'm no expert, but wouldn't putting a turbo on, mess up the weight distribution and change the handling of the bike? If you did do it, i'd also replace the brake components and suspension components as well. no point going fast if you can't stop.
Everything I just came in here to post up, cheers Trav.

This bike was never meant to have any of this type of stuff put on it. The larger bikes/supersports can handle it......as they have shmicko parts to start off with.

I would be very worried about detonation with nitrous on this motor. People had reported detonation in the early days simply by having the pod filters installed without any type of tuner. So there seems to be a small margin. I would be investing in a good quality knock sensor somewhere for sure.

But you can be the guinea pig for sure. :emot-worship: Let us know how far the motor goes. May very well end up being a cheap upgrade for more go go juice if it works well for you. Longevity would be a major concern to me though.

·
Registered
345 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't mind being the first. When it blows I'll replace the motor.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Please make an installation video since you will be the first one to do it!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's gonna be about a week before it comes in. I will try to do a DIY for the install.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
seems like you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket, swing some my way :whistling1smilie:

Reactions: Ilya

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Here's a serious question, but how come we don't see turbos on bikes (from manufacturers) more often? Are they simply unnecessary but for smaller bikes? Do they work at cross-purposes for smaller bikes which might have more beginner riders or riders who don't care about straight-line speed?

Has anyone here ridden a turbo bike? What is it like?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Here's a serious question, but how come we don't see turbos on bikes (from manufacturers) more often? Are they simply unnecessary but for smaller bikes? Do they work at cross-purposes for smaller bikes which might have more beginner riders or riders who don't care about straight-line speed?
Bingo. How many riders are there that take their bikes to the drag strip vs wanting to go on canyon runs? Granted we tinker with our bikes to make them perform better, but I'm willing to bet most of us do so because it's fun to tinker, we want to personalize, customize our bikes to our taste and we want to make our riding experience a little bit more fun. Sure speed does play a role in that, but if it played a really big role in how we customize our bikes, there would be more manufacturers making kits to upgrade pistons, valves, fuel systems etc for our bikes than there are other parts right?

I have nothing against turbos. I have an Audi 2.0T and love it. On a bike, my personal preference is for improving power linearly. I would increase the displacement, stronger pistons, connecting rods, valves, valve springs, etc. Just my personal preference.

Speaking of which, are there any manufacturers that make improved internals for our bikes?

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
i have a feeling you dont see many if any turbo bikes standard from the factory any more as the manufacturers tried this back in the 70's and didnt have much success.

mind you , everything old becomes new again, so ya never know your luck

·
Registered
357 Posts
Bingo. How many riders are there that take their bikes to the drag strip vs wanting to go on canyon runs? Granted we tinker with our bikes to make them perform better, but I'm willing to bet most of us do so because it's fun to tinker, we want to personalize, customize our bikes to our taste and we want to make our riding experience a little bit more fun. Sure speed does play a role in that, but if it played a really big role in how we customize our bikes, there would be more manufacturers making kits to upgrade pistons, valves, fuel systems etc for our bikes than there are other parts right?

I have nothing against turbos. I have an Audi 2.0T and love it. On a bike, my personal preference is for improving power linearly. I would increase the displacement, stronger pistons, connecting rods, valves, valve springs, etc. Just my personal preference.

Speaking of which, are there any manufacturers that make improved internals for our bikes?

I know there are a few that make parts for the 250. I have a strong feeling that the pistons from the later 250R would fit in the 300 because they are both 62mm bore (if memory serves). There is a company that I contacted on the subject and they wanted to see a stock piston to make sure, they also said the could make some stronger rods (forged) if they got their hands on the stock rods. I believe its just a couple extra MM strock that seperates the 300 from the 250R motor. If I had the extra dime to drop 1k on the internals I would gladly get with these guys and have it done, but it's a but out of my scope at this point. If you want, I can dig up the old e-mail chains I have with them and get you in contact with them. If you did want to, and went through with it, you would be helping out us guys who would like to have the parts, but can't afford to have the bike down for more than a couple of days (It's my daily and only) :)

Of course, if you went down that route, you might want to look into some cams and valves and such. haha. Think about it, a fully built 300.... Side note: If my assumptions on the Bore are correct, they have some pistons you could use in a bore application that would bring the actual displacement of the 300 to a ~335cc Displacement. ..... 1 axtra cc on that would be quite a novelty ;)

Edit: Found the link for the sight

http://www.dynoman.net/engine/pistons/je-kawa.html

·
Registered
357 Posts
there is a bit more to it then just getting the right diameter piston
I realize that, and that's why I wouldn't buy it unless they confirmed everything by having one in hand (stocker 300 piston), in fact, that's why I haven't bought one. It's just an assumption, seeing as Kawi like to use a lot of the same parts on a lot of bike.:detectivesmilie:

I asked them if they knew if the skirts and ring seats were the same, which is when they asked me to send them mine to verify or to make new pistons. But again, I can't afford to have my beauty down for more than 2-3 days, let alone a few weeks. It is what it is I guess:shrug.001:

But in the end, the internals as far as rods and pistons and stuff would be useless as far as performance withouth everything else to go with them. But for the peoples that want No2 and such, it would be nice. I didn't talk to them about it, but it might also be interesting to see if they could produce some high comp. pistons. They are willing to do it, I assume they would want a good backing of enough possible buyers if it involved too much in terms of engineering though. Maybe I will get back with them and see exactly what it would take to get something like that rolling... maybe even see what it would cost to buy a stock piston, rod, etc. from kawai and have it delivered to them for the pupose. We will see, time and money will tell. :emot-ninja:

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
it wouldn’t be all that heavy, but like anything, if you want to go faster you might enjoy slowing down occasionally as well. brake upgrade wouldn’t be a bad idea, as for suspension, go nuts with Ohlins and you will be right

·
Registered
357 Posts
121 - 140 of 152 Posts