Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Open wastegate :D.

Mine comes out the hood

Sounds awesome, but unless your running a vein pressure air monitoring system it plays hell with the fuel maps what in open circuit. Im used to a MAF system where in venting already metered air presents a rich condition which leads to stalling.... or fireballs... which admittedly is kind of cool .

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Bigger bikes don't just add power, they have all the engineering built-in to deal with that power (frame, suspension, bigger tires, better brakes, etc.). But, for those who live in areas where big bikes are prohibitively-expensive, I can see why they'd tinker a lot more.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Bigger bikes don't just add power, they have all the engineering built-in to deal with that power (frame, suspension, bigger tires, better brakes, etc.). But, for those who live in areas where big bikes are prohibitively-expensive, I can see why they'd tinker a lot more.
I think it's in our blood to take something that we have and make it better/faster/lighter instead of just 'buying' something more expensive :D

I just got a bonneville that I will eventually be adding a big bore kit to. Do i need it because the bike doesn't have enough power? HELL NO! I shift at 4k rpm for my daily ride to work as it is, and the bike gets its full power at 7,500!

Like I said, I think it's just in our blood- you added a full exhaust system and got a tune for your 300, didn't you? ;)

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I think it's in our blood to take something that we have and make it better/faster/lighter instead of just 'buying' something more expensive :D

I just got a bonneville that I will eventually be adding a big bore kit to. Do i need it because the bike doesn't have enough power? HELL NO! I shift at 4k rpm for my daily ride to work as it is, and the bike gets its full power at 7,500!

Like I said, I think it's just in our blood- you added a full exhaust system and got a tune for your 300, didn't you? ;)
Yep! Believe me, I like modifying bikes. There's just a cost-benefit threshold I have which others might think is too much, and for me, adding a turbo is a bridge too far.

But, if it weren't for all these tinkerers, innovators and inventors, we wouldn't have a lot of the tech we enjoy today. So, tinker away! There's just a point at which I'd simply get a bigger bike, but many have advanced that argument to me about my full-exhaust and ECU-tune. Why not just get a bigger bike? Well, because making a small bike faster is more fun in some ways than a bigger bike. I just wouldn't want to exceed what the bike can handle, but I suspect I haven't reached that point yet. There's the cost/benefit thing too. The full-exhaust I have wasn't much more than a slip-on, and the ECU stuff was free because mine was the first 300 worked-on by Flash-Tune.

Some people tinker in other ways, like making a 300 as light as possible, adding HP in that way. I think that's cool too. It's nice to see what's possible. I remember Sport Rider talking about their heavily-modified Ninja 250. The subtext was that they could sway the skeptics by letting them ride the bike.

Would I like to review a Ninja 300 which had a big-bore kit and/or a turbo? Yes please. :D Likewise, it would be fun to have a full-exhaust+ECU doubter ride my bike while I rode a stock 300 again. Sometimes, you just have to experience something to understand, and I suppose that's in-part what drives the tinkerer—curiosity!

Reactions: gazserm

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yep! Believe me, I like modifying bikes. There's just a cost-benefit threshold I have which others might think is too much, and for me, adding a turbo is a bridge too far.

Well, when you have purchased:
Aftermarket rear sets
Aftermarket clipons
Exhaust system
Brake levers
Windscreen
yoshmura rearset adapters
Bazzaz fuel control system
Rear fender eliminator kit
SSR Preload adjusters
.. I know im leaving something out..

Basically when you spend all that money and time doing all that shit to this bike the cost-benifit of a turbo gets a bit skewed towards the turbo.. Your not going to get shit for the 300 one trade in or sale.. so all the money you spent on all those mods is pretty much a total loss, you wont get what you even paid for the bike stock in return.

Never mind the customization factor, all that stuff, the things you chose made it YOUR bike.. not just another Ninja300...

So you'll spend a lot of money for a new "bigger" bike.. which will be bone stock so of course the modding/upgrading process will start all over again..

I love my 300, and Ive modded and tweaked the piss out of it to make it one of a kind.

Produce a turbo kit that makes even an additional 10hp reliably for less than 2 grand and Ill have a check in your hand so fast your head will spin.

Its just like riding is all about the ride not the destination, building up a bike to fit you perfectly is all about the journey, picking the parts, waiting anxiously for UPS to ring the bell (I call it Brown Santa).. the fun.. sometimes agony of installing things then going for the test rides..

I dont think there is a single bike out there that I would be happy with stock, and it has nothing to do with performance. If its stock, its just not unique or special, its just not mine...

Long blurb there, sorry got all.. poetic.. or something

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Well, when you have purchased:
Aftermarket rear sets
Aftermarket clipons
Exhaust system
Brake levers
Windscreen
yoshmura rearset adapters
Bazzaz fuel control system
Rear fender eliminator kit
SSR Preload adjusters
.. I know im leaving something out..

Basically when you spend all that money and time doing all that shit to this bike the cost-benifit of a turbo gets a bit skewed towards the turbo.. Your not going to get shit for the 300 one trade in or sale.. so all the money you spent on all those mods is pretty much a total loss, you wont get what you even paid for the bike stock in return.

Never mind the customization factor, all that stuff, the things you chose made it YOUR bike.. not just another Ninja300...

So you'll spend a lot of money for a new "bigger" bike.. which will be bone stock so of course the modding/upgrading process will start all over again..

I love my 300, and Ive modded and tweaked the piss out of it to make it one of a kind.

Produce a turbo kit that makes even an additional 10hp reliably for less than 2 grand and Ill have a check in your hand so fast your head will spin.

Its just like riding is all about the ride not the destination, building up a bike to fit you perfectly is all about the journey, picking the parts, waiting anxiously for UPS to ring the bell (I call it Brown Santa).. the fun.. sometimes agony of installing things then going for the test rides..

I dont think there is a single bike out there that I would be happy with stock, and it has nothing to do with performance. If its stock, its just not unique or special, its just not mine...

Long blurb there, sorry got all.. poetic.. or something
Not all mods are the same.

Some mods for me fall under the 'essential' category:

Pazzo levers (shorties), clipons (for the 300), Fender-Eliminator and Chassis-Protection, Puig double-bubble windscreen (except for the Ninja 300 where I don't seem as bothered by the wind), good tires!

Some mods are good cost/benefit:

Exhaust. Greatly-reduce weight and much-better sound. Full-exhaust brings +4-6HP with ECU-tuning. Sprocket-changes, etc.

Some mods are just 'polish' or a way to finish a bike:

Rear seat cowl and other cosmetic changes. The seat-cowl does have a small-benefit of providing a little more underseat cargo.

Would I put a turbo on a bike? No, but that's based on my cost/benefit value-system.

Is it true that you won't get full-retail for your mods? Obviously. Is it true that you won't see a return on your mods. No. Someone selling a stock Ninja compared to mine isn't going to have the draw other than a lower-price, but don't forget how much time and labor goes into installing mods, or perfecting gearing or even getting your recall ECU replaced. Even the fact that my bike has a white tank is a selling-point, because the 2014 white bikes have black tanks. It's a mod-away from having a white tank, but people have various reasons why they would rather buy the bike how they want it. It has to do with time spent riding vs. time spent modding, and some people just don't have the time or inclination to do a lot of mods themselves. For some people who don't have a place to work on a bike, having everything pre-installed is a huge benefit.

A Daytona 675R can be purchased 'bone-stock' with Ohlins suspension and a quickshifter, and top-shelf parts, a great engine, good tires, etc. All bikes are not created-equal. I don't modify my bike to make it 'not stock', I modify a bike to improve my experience and enjoyment from that bike, but I stop when I am finished attaining those goals or fixing things I don't like about a bike.

On the Ninja 300, the stock handlebars really made my canyon experience sucky because I learned how to ride twisties on bikes with much-sportier riding-positions. So, I changed them for Woodcraft clipons and I was very happy with it. Probably the best mod I've done on the 300 as cost-benefit goes. For someone who cut their teeth learning to turn on a supersport, the clipons are essential.

I guarantee you, I will see return on my many mods, but it won't be full retail (and nobody would really claim such a thing). Still, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. :D Buyers are already emotional about buying bikes, and mods just increase that excitement. Isn't that why a turbo is so exciting a prospect for you?

Reactions: gazserm

·
Registered
103 Posts
Turbo Kit?

I just got my 300 set up with a full Yoshimura R-77 exhaust, Power Commander V, Auto tune, K&N air filter, and air snorkle delete. I want a turbo kit for the bike just to be different, I wanted to know if anyone makes a turbo kit for the 300. If no one does a turbo kit I am going to throw a 15hp shot of nitrous to it. The bike is at 39.8hp the way it is and is a lot of fun. Just want to get more power and be different.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I think some threads have been started about this. I don't recall anyone actually fitting one yet for the 300. Try doing a quick search. You might find what you are looking for. I will keep an eye out for you as well.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
the only one I saw with a turbo was in asia, I haven't seen anyone in europe or north america put one on. I'm very interested in this myself as a turbo kit would be the only thing that will hold me back from upgrading to a different bike.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I might see if the shop that supercharged my car can fab a custom kit up.

101 - 120 of 152 Posts