Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 152 Posts

·
Banned
277 Posts
you could get a small 12 volt air compressor like to pump up your tires and pull the plastic off it so is very small and i would mount to the side of the motor between the fairing and blow air straight in to air box, you could have two of these guys setup , LOL
Co2 injection would work much better, it's already pressurized and cools when it expands. All you need are a couple of paintball tanks and you're set.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Co2 injection would work much better, it's already pressurized and cools when it expands. All you need are a couple of paintball tanks and you're set.
I wouldn't take up any more volume with inert gasses than I already have to with ambient air alone; I want as much O2 as possible. N2O would be a much more useful cooling liquid to introduce and evaporate into the intake.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
And if you do a wet system, you would not need to retune.
We put a 50 shot nitrous kit on a Chevy Sonic 1.6l engine. Saw 25hp gain across the entire rpm range we configured it for.

I have a 2.0l turbo that will smoke most V8s. I love being able to smoke a corvette in a Saturn Sky
:D

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If you have the turbo SS, we have the same engine.
Not sure if you are on the Cobalt SS or HP tuners forum, but Terminator tunes mine.
I have the BNR 2871 turbo and run E47.
60-100 times are under 4 seconds.
Car is currently in SC at DDM works. Short block is done. Carillo Rods, ceramic coated Wiseco pistons and and a fully ported and polished head are being installed. Its also being mated to a 6 speed GTO T56 transmission

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
One thing about bikes is that a super high-performance bike can be had for around 12-15k, depending on your choice. So, the cost/benefit for adding a turbo to a small bike is just not ideal. Also, it's much-easier to overwhelm a small bike with too much power for the chassis, tire-size, etc. It's not even feasible to put bigger tires on without adversely-affecting the tire profile or installing wider rims.

Well before I'd add a turbo, I'd just get a 636 or Daytona 675. Some people say that about full-exhausts, but a full-exhaust plus ECU-tune is an easy way to add HP without overwhelming the chassis/tires or having to do much of anything else. Cost/benefit is pretty good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you have the turbo SS, we have the same engine.
Not sure if you are on the Cobalt SS or HP tuners forum, but Terminator tunes mine.
I have the BNR 2871 turbo and run E47.
60-100 times are under 4 seconds.
Car is currently in SC at DDM works. Short block is done. Carillo Rods, ceramic coated Wiseco pistons and and a fully ported and polished head are being installed. Its also being mated to a 6 speed GTO T56 transmission
Yea i got the lnf. Im tuned by vince over at trifecta but down the road ill be switching over to hp tuners with some more supporting mods

·
Registered
185 Posts
One thing about bikes is that a super high-performance bike can be had for around 12-15k, depending on your choice. So, the cost/benefit for adding a turbo to a small bike is just not ideal. Also, it's much-easier to overwhelm a small bike with too much power for the chassis, tire-size, etc. It's not even feasible to put bigger tires on without adversely-affecting the tire profile or installing wider rims.

Well before I'd add a turbo, I'd just get a 636 or Daytona 675. Some people say that about full-exhausts, but a full-exhaust plus ECU-tune is an easy way to add HP without overwhelming the chassis/tires or having to do much of anything else. Cost/benefit is pretty good.
I wouldn't do it to save money, it'd be just for fun. By the time anyone's finished making the internals of the engine and transmission strong enough for a significant increase in power (and swing arm, brakes, etc.) and still have the same life span, the 300 would have cost them as much as a zx-10.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Turbocharger

Ive kind of made the decision not to "move up" to a "bigger bike" and instead just create a monster 300. I already have a 15 tooth front sprocket, 3 different rear tires, adjustable rear sets, Bazzaz Z-Fi and Z-AFM, leo Vince slip-on (all tests I've read concluded the Kawi stock exhaust piping lands within 1hp of any aftermarket set, and as such a full aftermarket exhaust, at this time, is not needed)

I know I could just buy a 636, but I am different, I live to tinker, I live to modify and tweak things, it just feels like they are more "mine" that way, therefore building a monster ninja 300 kind of tickles me a certain way. This is my first motorcycle, but I have years of experience dealing with turbocharged Supras, RX-7s, DSMs and Mustangs. I know a great deal about tuning, and i love it. AEM EMS, HALTECH, Apexi SAFC.. You get the idea.'

So, does anyone or any company have a viable turbo kit yet? or even the plans for one yet? Im eager!!!

P.S. barring the stock injectors being able to flow sufficient fuel for .5-.7 bar of boost, are injectors for the ninja 650 or 636 compatible with the 300? or will I need to bump static fuel pressure? what is the flow rate of the stock fuel pump?

Sorry for so many questions, but I have the itch for a new hobby! ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
All custom at this point. Grab a smaller greddy or garrett and custom weld a manifold, run a open dump and vtak

·
Registered
147 Posts
Really, compared to may turbo projects its not a very complicated build. Boost goal is so low that you could probably do without an intercooler provided the piping is aluminium and not near the exhaust, though a small FMIC in front of the radiator would be ideal..

Dry (oil cooled) small garret turbo, some aluminum mandrel bends etc.. vent the waste gate into the exhaust, recirculate the BOV into the intake to prevent bogging (small TurboXS type 25 BOV or something to that effect)

Everything seems rather straight forward, provided the stock engine can handle a 20-30 percent HP increase..

81 - 100 of 152 Posts