Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone considered it? Looks like it would be an interesting project just looking for some thoughts on it.....

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Ask the guys in countries where the big CC bikes are pretty much non-existant.. These are the guys that trick out the 250s like no other :)

I can see it happening, not commercially but as a DIY kinda thing.. Doubt it would catch on anywhere outside of those countries though.. Personal I would rather have a bigger bike over a turbo.. Its designed for the extra speed and acceleration..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Agreed! Still would have anywhere near the balls of say a ZX6.
I'm always worried about internals aswell as I've seen what boost can do to car engines lol

·
Registered
554 Posts
Very light boost might be ok but at that point why not just spend the money and get a bigger bike.. I understand boosting 1000ccs because you want the most power out of two wheels but boosting a 250cc seems to just be a uncommon luxury.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Kinda makes me laugh when hearing a turbo'd Dodge Neon drive by after a Viper just passed by. Why spend the money on the small car when you could buy stock supercar then upgrade that later. Everyone has their reasons. Might not make sense you another person but in the end only you and the guy that buys it used from you matter. Lmao.

Sent from my MB886 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
237 Posts
I suppose it wouldn't matter for straight line riding but the non linear nature of power delivery with a turbo charged would be a recipe for high siding, at least with a powerful enough engine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think the OP was asking this as a " what if " kind of question. We all know your gonna get 5 or more posters saying "just get a bigger bike", "why waste your money when you can just buy an SS" etc... but for SOME people, they like to have a custom bike that they tricked out completely in their own unique way. They want a bike with special upgrades and performance that few other people have. Sure it's not as fast as a literbike or maybe even a 600, but a turboed 300 would be lightweight, agile, and one **** of a custom piece of pride for someone. I don't know if it's just me, but you love a bike a heck of a lot more when you take it and make it your own and add bits and pieces and tune it to your exact liking and make it truly yours so it fits you like a glove. It gives the bike personality and IMO makes the bike that much more valuble to the owner. Who cares if it adds resale value or if people on an internet forum that you've never even met say your wasting your money? It's your bike and if you want to bust your *** fabricating a turbo to make it a one of a kind super ninja, then go for it. more power to you. And even if you don't really want to do it, you just want to discuss what kind of power it might bring etc. well then isn't this the place to do such things?....

Sorry for the rant guys, it's not directed at anyone. I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk at all, I just hate when someone asks a question just out of curiousity and you get a bunch of people posting the same old things like "just buy a bigger bike", "why even try" "not worth it"... I mean if your gonna respond then at least give a real answer, don't give the guy crap for being curious. Some of us like to dream and imagine cool things, even if they're not economically viable. Same thing happens when anyone asks the top speed of a small displacement or non-racing designed bike on some forums. A bunch of posters jump down the guys throat saying "why even ask, if your concerned about top speed buy a ss" and stuff like that. If your gonna respond then don't be a jerk and give some sarcastic answer thats been said a million times over. Your just wasting bandwith and bringing people down. My point is theres nothing wrong with being creative and asking questions and wondering if things that haven't been done can be....even if there's a good reason why they haven't and you know what it is, then just let us know rather than being mean about it or saying someone elses mod plans for the bike that they themselves own are worthless or stupid. It's just not cool. Sorry again it's just a topic that really hits a nerve with me. None of this was directed at anyone on here in particular. Hope you guys can see the point i was getting at.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. It's going to take good money to do it. Custom turbo kit isn't the hard part. The tuning is going to be tricky. What sort of aftermarket tuning computer would you have to use to compensate that much extra fuel? What about injectors and clutch? Transmission?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. It's going to take good money to do it. Custom turbo kit isn't the hard part. The tuning is going to be tricky. What sort of aftermarket tuning computer would you have to use to compensate that much extra fuel? What about injectors and clutch? Transmission?
Definitely all good points. IMO, if you were actually going to do it, you'd need to put a lot of consideration into weather or not the stock internals are up for it and even if they are initially, how long would they last? I know it's been said on here before, that with small displacement engines like this (the post i'm referring to referenced a ninja 250 engine I believe, I think it was cbzdel maybe who said it) it's not really the cylinders or pistons that wear out and cause the engine to fail after x amount of miles, it's the myriad of small internal parts that do. He said most people get around 50-60,000 miles out of a ninja before engine failure. Of course, we all know that many examples are not seen as these are usually beginner bikes and get thrashed and crashed long before they're time is up, but basically IIRC the jist was under normal operation and circuimstances you can expect around 60,000 miles from a 250 engine before needing a rebuild or replace the engine/bike.

So my point in all this is imagine how long the internals would last with the turbo taxing them even more?

Obviously going in and replacing everything with strengthend race internals would be rediculously expensive and labor-intensive. And really the only reason i can imagine ANYONE doing it is for a special high-level 300cc race where sponsors are footing the bill or maybe your very well-off and have the kind of money to throw around so you can show your buddies that you own the only...(drumroll) Ninja 300R TURBO and guess what IT'S A DAILY-DRIVER TOO! NOT SOME GARAGE QUEEN! lol, but aside from that I can't see anyone doing it.

Sure it'd be alot cheaper to just bolt-on a turbo but then I doubt the engine would make it that far before blowing up...Oh wait, that's right you can't even bolt-on a turbo lol, it must be custom fabricated for the bike because there is no mass-produced turbo kits for such a small-displacement, not to mention new model, so even without suping up the internals it'd still be a huge feat to accomplish.

So all in all it's not likely to happen but I for one enjoy talking about it and maybe one day enough people will want it and the companies will listen and make a mass-produced kit, which will in turn cut the price and add reliability so everyday riders can add one if they want to. Again unlikely but possible...

Anyone have a guess as too what kind of power you could expect given moderate boost presure? I must admit I'm not too familiar with motorcycle turbos or what kind of psi they are run at, or even what kind of power gains they can give so if anyone wants to throw in an educated guess that'd be cool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for all the input. Yes this was definitely a "what if" kinda of question. Personally i just like to go outside the box of whats considered normal just becuase i can. My thoughts were mostly concern for injectors and tuning. The clutch and trans would be fine since theres no boost pressure actually shifting, but obviously stock internals would have a limit. I have a fair amount of experience boosting smaller direct injection motors, and i think the goal would be to use a turbo small enough so that full boost (whatever that would be) can be achieved at a low rpm band. Done that way youd wind up with more torque improvement than hp gain and done right will most likely not beat the internals as much. Obviously its all speculation at this point... thoughts?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Since I have never rearched this before, what kind of gains could you safely anticipate if it all worked out correctly?

What about the braking system? Once you get this thing going your going to have to be able to stop it..

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'd imagine with mild boost you would only gain 30-50hp? I guess just check with 250 turbo guys. For brakes I'd imagine race pads are a must.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think turbo kit can be made like under or around 1000 bucks :O
It really depends on some key factors. For example, what is the max flow rate of the factory injectors?
What will that yield without upgrading them?
What is the availability of compatable injectors and how much for them?
How much boost are you trying to run?
Is the boost low enough an intercooler can be optional?
How easily can a tune be done?

Thats just a small part of what needs to be considered. Also as far as power gains, I'd venture to guess with a pod filter, full exhaust catless, turbo, and a reliable tune maybe in the ballpark of 50-60hp at the rear wheel. Again, that is just a guess at a setup the will not destroy the motor, and i could very well be off.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Since I have never rearched this before, what kind of gains could you safely anticipate if it all worked out correctly?

What about the braking system? Once you get this thing going your going to have to be able to stop it..
It would be the same as stopping now. I doubt the system would add that much as far as weight is concerned.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts