Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Looking good, those look like standard (non-led) turn signals, correct?

I have a set of LED on the way, so I need to figure out the flasher relay and/or resistors as well..

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
did you get one?? i was wondering if its the same one as the 250r?

I had the back of the bike apart to do my fender kit, and it sounded like the turn signal relay was on the the right side of the bike rather than the left like on the 250r..

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
You can get a variable load relay, that will accept any voltage from either standard or LED bulbs. Or you can get an electronic flasher. The variable load is still a mechanical unit, so it clicks when it is on. The electronic is totally silent. The stanard relay will not accept LED bulbs because there is not enough current from the LED to trigger the flasher.

This is my understanding of it at least.

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's pretty cool. I want to do that.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. so it wouldn't work if I just used LED bulbs in the signals? I would need a resistor to take up the extra voltage? I see what the relay does but don't see why it's needed if it's already wired to blink.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The voltage is missing on the LED, there is not enough current to trip the relay into blinking.

So if you install a variable or electronic flasher that solves the issue.. Or if you install resistors it tricks the system into thinking standard bulbs are installed and you can still use the stock relay.

Then we have to question if we will have the same issue as the 250R. They had to install diodes if they installed LEDs in all 4 turn signal locations. The problem was it screwed up the electrical system so much by not having the correct voltages it would make all 4 flashers flash at the same time, so a diode prevents "backfeed" and fixes the problem.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Resistors would work, but the problem on a motorcycle is there is not alot of room to put them, and the longer you leave a turn signal on the hotter they get. And I mean HOT!!! You get stuck at a long light in traffic with your signal on and you could end up with melted fairings!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I have a youtube video of an LED flasher relay install with a link to buy it. About $25 but worth it! Plug and play- replaces your old relay.

I am going to check and see if it will fit the 300 tonight.

Keep us posted :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
i did a fender elminiator on my 300 yesterday
the bracket fits perfectly. the number plate and plate light is all working fine

i bought aftermarket carbon fibre blinkers that bolt onto the bracket PERFECTLY
when i wired the aftermarket blinkers and turned them on for testing, they did not blink
the wires are wired properly (left to left, right to right..correct wires to correct wires etc)
when i turn the blinkers on, the front blinker turns on but does not flash - it just stays on. same with the back aftermarket blinkers - they just stay on..no blinking

so i put my stock blinkers on the F.E. bracket and wired them up - they blink perfectly..they just dont hold onto the bracket as well as the aftermarket ones

apparently this is because the resistance of the aftermarket globes is too high
can someone tell me if i need a new fuse for the fuse box, or if i should just throw in a resistor between the wiring..if so how many ohms should it be?

·
Registered
523 Posts
If the resistance of the bulbs in the aftermarket signals is too high, you'll have to put a resistor in parallel with the signals to lower the overall resistance. It's easy enough to calculate what value of resistor to use if you know the resistance of the stock signals.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If the resistance of the bulbs in the aftermarket signals is too high, you'll have to put a resistor in parallel with the signals to lower the overall resistance. It's easy enough to calculate what value of resistor to use if you know the resistance of the stock signals.
alright i'll throw on a multimeter and check the resistance and compare it to the aftermarket ones
thanks man

·
Registered
728 Posts
I didn't plan on doing the whole FE thing, but that looks clean, and pretty cheap. Any details on the exact parts used from Cycle Gear?

-THE DON
Targa aluminum license mount with turn signal mounts
http://www.amazon.com/Targa-Aluminum-License-Signal-Mounts/dp/B002ERFB6U

A pair of turn signal blinkers (eBay)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Motorcycle-Parts-/10063/i.html?_udlo=5&_from=R40&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udhi=20&_vxp=mtr&_nkw=Motorcycle+LED+turn+signal&afsrc=1

License plate LED lights (eBay)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=Motorcycle+License+Plate+Light+Bolts&_sacat=0&_from=R40&afsrc=1

CF12ANL-01 flasher relay (2 prongs=plug and play!)
Online only http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/flashers.htm

Alternative relay: Tridon EP34 relay
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-5yc1s?itemIdentifier=6416&CJPID=3640929&cmpid=cj
It has 3 prongs, each marked B,L,&E. You ground the E pin somewhere on your bike.

OP, add this info to your post?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts