Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else noticed this about the 300.

I have found that engine braking on the 300 in second gear seems to be overly sensitive. I noticed that as I am slowly letting off on the throttle I get to a point from where it's smooth to all of a sudden it's almost trying to toss me over the front of the bars. Being doing the hard break in which uses a lot of engine braking and thought this was normal behavior. But riding my cruiser and realized that this is probably attributed to the much higher compression on the ninja vs the mid 8 on the V-Star. Seems engine braking seems just fine in 3rd+ gear. It's just when you try and do it in second, it goes very linearly as you let off on the throttle until you hit a very certain point and it becomes more like a damn light switch.

So just wondering if it's the same for the rest of you.

Thanks everyone for your helpful future input. :cool:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Going from 2nd to 1st, the RPMs need to be lower than downshifting from the other gears. At least that's what I found.

I typically only drop it to 1st once I'm nearly stopped.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its the slipper clutch catching after it spools down. You are prob down shifting to early.
Uh.... I never said it was from a shift. If I go and ride it up past 6k on 2nd gear and slowly start letting off the throttle, there is a point on the let off where it goes from a slight decel to a HUGE decel with just rolling off the gas. In short, it makes true engine braking in second gear (throttle all the way off,) impossible. I tried once to just letting off the throttle all the way instantly just to see how abrupt it was, and it picked the rear wheel a couple inches off the ground and bottomed the front fork out. On my cruiser, just letting off the throttle in second gear feels a lot more like doing it in 3rd gear on our bike. You can feel the decel surge but it's pretty tame. Doing it in 2nd is on the 300 is like slamming on the front break.

Basically, I'm thinking that based on our gearing and the engines compression, our 2nd gear on the ninja is more equivalent to 1st gear on most other motorcycles. The slipper clutch only works on really high torque down shifting. Since I didn't do any shifting at all, hell I don't even have to leave second gear to do it, it's not rev matching or clutch control.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I use compression braking in 2nd gear all the time. The rear wheel might skate ever so slightly but it won't actually nose wheelie from engine braking, you gotta be on the front brake hard to achive real rear wheel lift. I drop into second at decent speed to make a tight turn, typical intersection, and it is fine. I'd not hesitate to rev it to redline in 2nd and chop the throttle.

Have you gone +1 CS yet? The slightly lower gearing might exaggerate the engine braking but it isn't extreme anyway. I wish it had much more! :eek:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I use compression braking in 2nd gear all the time. The rear wheel might skate ever so slightly but it won't actually nose wheelie from engine braking, you gotta be on the front brake hard to achive real rear wheel lift. I drop into second at decent speed to make a tight turn, typical intersection, and it is fine. I'd not hesitate to rev it to redline in 2nd and chop the throttle.

Have you gone +1 CS yet? The slightly lower gearing might exaggerate the engine braking but it isn't extreme anyway. I wish it had much more! :eek:
The mini stoppie was from me not really thinking it would be that extreme and flying forward before catching myself. The sudden shift of my body weight flying forward then stopping well forward of CG picked the rear wheel up. The rear wheel probably came back down due to the extra gained load that filled my pants with my head hanging out over the windshield. :D Wasn't expecting it. I did this at redline as well(approx 40mph ind.)

I have the stock CS at the moment. This though isn't a transmission issue anyways. I just think I'm not used to the MUCH higher compression on this engine in comparison to my cruiser.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
You have to consider the cruiser V twin probably has a much lower operation RPM, forget redline which many never even see and even that might be half of the 300s limit. Most V twins have massive engine braking but you never ride it in a manner you would experience it very much, dropping 3 gears into a tight corner at max speed, etc. My KTM 950s could easily be backed into a corner using a downshift and light front brake. Pitched it right out. Gobs of juicy compression braking, wonderful, joyous stuff. :D

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have to consider the cruiser V twin probably has a much lower operation RPM, forget redline which many never even see and even that might be half of the 300s limit. Most V twins have massive engine braking but you never ride it in a manner you would experience it very much, dropping 3 gears into a tight corner at max speed, etc. My KTM 950s could easily be backed into a corner using a downshift and light front brake. Pitched it right out. Gobs of juicy compression braking, wonderful, joyous stuff. :D
My V-Star may be a V-twin, but it's engine braking capabilities blow for it's size because of it's really low compression. There is a huge difference in engine braking abilities from a ratio of 8 and 10. The partial vacuum in the 300 is going to be much more powerful per CC than my V-Star. Yeah the V-Star is 1100cc but has a little under the overall engine performance to the 300. My V-Star has the upper hand to about 30MPH. The little ninja will then pull ahead of it at around 50mph. Then again, I see cruisers and sport bikes to be like pickup trucks and sports cars. One is tuned to maximize power(cruiser) the other is tuned to convert more power into work(sport bike.) Now if my cruiser was a diesel, it would put both bikes to shame with it's engine braking with at least 20:1 ratio. Could probably use it for emergency braking if you needed to. :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else noticed this about the 300.

I have found that engine braking on the 300 in second gear seems to be overly sensitive. I noticed that as I am slowly letting off on the throttle I get to a point from where it's smooth to all of a sudden it's almost trying to toss me over the front of the bars. Being doing the hard break in which uses a lot of engine braking and thought this was normal behavior. But riding my cruiser and realized that this is probably attributed to the much higher compression on the ninja vs the mid 8 on the V-Star. Seems engine braking seems just fine in 3rd+ gear. It's just when you try and do it in second, it goes very linearly as you let off on the throttle until you hit a very certain point and it becomes more like a damn light switch.

So just wondering if it's the same for the rest of you.

Thanks everyone for your helpful future input. :cool:
@FreelancerMG - Did you ever find a solution/workaround to this?

I've seen some other related posts on this site about it but no one seemed to have any solutions.

Here are the similar threads:

http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/8-ninja-300-general-discussion/22425-herky-jerky-throttle.html

http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/8-ninja-300-general-discussion/28938-throttle-surge.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts