Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share this video with all of you, not a 300 but with all the hate towards outgrowing the small bikes this video clearly shows unless your going a a straight line your better off with a small CC bike..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll never understand the need to rag on someone's small bike. I'm 6' 1" 220lbs and will whip anyone on my KX85. I like it way more than my 450 just purely because I can throw it around regardless of the fact that I probably out grew it 5 years ago. I'll do the same with my 300.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ahmen
Nice vid :)
My RGV250 used to decimate much bigger bikes on the track and I'm no pro.
Light and nimble Is always more fun too!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Most of the "ragging" on smaller bikes that I see and hear are from dudes who never been on one. They started on 600 and or jumped to 1000CC< They know and love the fun and power of the supersports and only imagine something so small in CCs would be less fun.
On the other hand, majority of riders who are used to a 600 or 1000 CC bike, when they ride a small CC bike, they love it. Not in the sense that one is better than the other but that it provides an aspect of riding that is fun but not available in the heavier bikes.
Basically the majority of ragging on smaller bikes comes from people who are not qualified to be ragging so it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I can't even count how many times I've had people walk up to me standing by my 300 and say "Nice bike, is it a 600?" Ha I love the look on their face when I say no because then they say "750? Or 1000?"

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think this video goes to show its more about your skill level that the engine size...

To often I tell people I owned a 250R or a 300 and would get trash talk out of it.. Granted I am no pro rider, but a pro rider on a 250R is faster than 95+% of the population that owns the 600s+

·
Registered
101 Posts
a pro rider on a 250R is faster than 95+% of the population that owns the 600s+
+1 on that
it cracks me up when i see people on forums saying "they have outgrown the small bike already" and that they need "a bigger bike". Probably they dont even know how to ride properly, they just want to hit the gas on the straights and brake hard when they curve arrives.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Since I'm new why do the bigger bikes have to slow so much in the corners? Is it a weight thing or to much power?
Weight, mostly, but also the power. The force required to take you through a given turn is proportional to how fast you're going and how much you weigh (how massive you are, actually), so bigger bikes require slower speeds to make the same turn as a lighter bike and must slow down much more from their higher straight speeds to get to that lower speed. This is one of the main reasons bigger bikes come with bigger tires: a larger contact patch increases the friction between the tires and the asphalt, allowing you to take tighter turns.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yes, and as has been pointed out, for a really fast bike to have an advantage over the 300, it needs to use its advantage in braking coming into the curve and acceleration coming out of the the curves and on the straight aways. Within the curves is slower. Almost all race tracks have at least one long straight away though and that is where the little 300 loses any advantage it gained in the corners. On a smaller track with no long straights, the 300 could actually beat a liter bike. Most race tracks are built for cars though in the US, so you will have a long straight away. My race bike, the GSX-r1000 owns many fastest lap times.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It just shows that the biggest factor on a motorcycle is the rider. A capable rider on a 600 or 1000 would be significantly faster. On tight twisty tracks, the advantage big bikes have are limited though.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
as a owner/rider of a '300cc moped' (or so the wisdom among my non-riding coworkers who know nothing about bikes goes), there are a few times where i wish i had a more powerful motor, but honestly, the 300 is perfect and it's all anyone away from the track truly NEEDS (wants are a different matter entirely). It does highway city rural whatever, it has room for a passenger or tank bag, and it still has enough oomph to outperform 95% of traffic on the public roads stock so it's hard to find fault with it...

Reactions: Diesel

·
Banned
613 Posts
As owner of a gsxr 750 track bike and the 300 I can say this. The 300 is more nimble and easier to control while the 750 just has crazy amount of grunt power(I drove it yesterday down the streeet and back, first time since January) so much so it actually scared me a little. But if you can learn to carry all your speed on the 300 from exit of a previous turn through the next one, than the majority of the time you should be able to beat any 600cc+ bike. Where you will loose out is those hole shots of a few hundred yards between. And now if you can carry what you learn from the 300 to the larger bikes, your going to be unstoppable. That is why I have no problem riding this 300 around.

·
Registered
237 Posts
People here make it sound like you can't carry similar corner speed on a 600 or 1000. That isn't true. A larger bike needs to be muscled around a bit more on corner entry. As far as running fast laps, you will probably have less speed at the corner apex on a bigger bike because you are setting up to get good drive and carry speed until the next corner. On any corner that isn't very tight, the 300 will have such a lesser rate of acceleration (80+ mph), the way to have the best speed at corner exit is to carry speed throughout the turn.

Here are roughly the lap records at the track I run at most often. There is only one real straight and it isn't that long.

Overall (set on an R1)
1:45.x

Supersport (600)
1:47.x

Lightweight (250)
2:05.x

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.