Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

250 or 300 for beginner

30K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  petabread27 
#1 ·
OK so i been planning on buying a 300 in Feb.

i'm a beginner rider never rode before will be taking my Beginner rider course next weekend

I'm 20 year with 2 jobs and own apartment my plan was to get a loan from my credit union to purchase a 300 and put $1000 down but now I think since it be my first bike and i really only want it to commute to and from work and cruise around city no high ways.

Should i just get a used 250 off craiglist to save me money since im so young and really just want to ride

#4 ·
I would say that it depends on what you want to do with it. Aside from looks and gauge cluster there is not much difference between the two. They have the same basic motor, 300 has 10 extra HP and a lighter imo better clutch pull. If you live in the cold and don't want to **** with the choke in the winter and warming the bike up, get the fuel injected 300; if you don't mind that save some cash spend it on better gear and get an older, <'12, 250.

Reactions: iamZiGGi
#6 ·
Yeah after looking at some 250 on Craiglist i will mostly purchase a used 250 trying to find a 2010-2012 cause all i really wanna do is just ride around no high way or racing anything like that. I live in Illinois really really close to Saint Louis like 10 mins lol today was the coldest day of fall so far 50 degrees but i'll just park the bike and drive my car..... guess i'll be heading to the 250 forum

#7 ·
One problem with buying a used bike off of Craigslist is that if an individual is selling it rather than a dealer, and you aren't familiar with bikes, you can get one that needs a lot of work, or one that isn't even safe to ride and there's no warranty. If you had a friend who rides and who could check the bike over and test ride it for you, that would be better. I keep seeing Ninja 250s for sale, but the prices are pretty high. A 2012 with a couple thousand miles might be listed for $4200 which is about what it sold for new and of course now the warranty is gone. A new 2012 250r from a dealer would be about $5,200 out the door though depending where you live. Since you have to borrow money, I would probably go with a late model used bike...something like an 09 with 4,000 miles on it for $3200, for example but only if it checks out. I see those offered often. You wouldn't probably want to have to replace tires first thing.

#9 ·
One thing i'm suprised no one has pointed out in detail is the EFI. No doubt, a used ninja 250 is the poster boy for the first bike for a new rider. if this were a few years earlier or the 300 didn't come out, I would definitely suggest it, but having owned a Carb'ed bike, i will never go back, unless maybe a dirtbike. I just think you will be much happier with the smoother ride and easier starting from the efi. Not to mention, once you get the hang of riding, the 300 has more power to keep you satisfied longer so you won't have to sell the bike so fast, but at the same time not too much to get you in trouble.

Honestly bro, the choice is yours but i'd definitely go for the 300, since you got approved for the loan and it's a great starter bike that can grow WITH YOU into a great intermediate bike too. plus it looks great. Personally, If you want to go used and not wait for a used 300, i'd look for a USED CBR250. I know many cbr250 owners are dumping them CHEAP to pick up a new 300 so you can probably get a nice deal. CBR 250 is an excellent bike, just as the ninja 250 is but it has efi and is a bit more modern. I'd look up all 3 bikes if I were you and compare. Good luck man!

#10 ·
I agree with the above poster that siad if you want to save some money on a used bike you should be looking at the CBR250 instead. Based on what you have posted regarding the riding you plan to do a CBR250 sounds ideal with EFI, better fuel economy and the option ABS brakes makes it a better city bike.

Also if the Honda CBR400-500 comes out in spring depending on the stats you could be seeing some more cheaper used 250-300's coming on to the market as well with people trading up to a slightly bigger bike.

#21 · (Edited)
I agree with the above poster that siad if you want to save some money on a used bike you should be looking at the CBR250 instead. Based on what you have posted regarding the riding you plan to do a CBR250 sounds ideal with EFI, better fuel economy and the option ABS brakes makes it a better city bike.

Also if the Honda CBR400-500 comes out in spring depending on the stats you could be seeing some more cheaper used 250-300's coming on to the market as well with people trading up to a slightly bigger bike.
Another great point for the CBR250r, I didn't even think of... ABS will greatly benefit you as a new rider. Plus it's a very light and agile bike, as are the ninja 250 and 300 but even moreso. Both of these attributes make it an EXCELLENT city bike, which is what you said you plan on riding most often... Also, like I said before, as i also read the CBR250 forum, I've seen recently that alot of cbr owners are planning on dumping their bikes even at a big loss, so you could also save some money bigtime which you also were concerned about, so I really think it'd be a great idea for you to check out the cbr250.

In all honesty, I think thats the best fit for you with what you described, but then again if it was me, I'd still get the brand spanking new 300! As you know, we don't always make all of our purchases based strictly on what is most rational. :)

#12 ·
OK so i been planning on buying a 300 in Feb.

i'm a beginner rider never rode before will be taking my Beginner rider course next weekend
Pretty much in the same situation and decided to just get the Ninja 300 with ABS after the BRC.

BRC helps boost your confidence. If you stay within your confidence zone, like not going at 80MPH if you're not ready, then you'll be fine. Go slow at first and build up the experience. Just go for the $300 :)

#13 ·
The CBR500 will be a parallel twin with a 105 mph top speed, 31 in. seat, 46.9 bhp, 30 ft. lbs. of torque, 470cc, and a weight of (gulp) 430 lbs. wet. For reference, the Triumph Street Triple r is 403 lbs wet, 675 cc. and produces 105 bhp, so it sure looks like the CBR500 will be way too heavy. I guess they plan to sell it as a commuter/tourer. Really, I would go with the 300 over something like that, but I like sport bikes rather than boats.

#15 ·
A 2012 Triumph Street Triple r costs $9600, so it 2X the cost of a Ninja 300 and will be well UNDER 2X the cost of a Honda 500cc bike. I was comparing the Ninja 300 to the specs of the Honda 500 cc bike as a potential first bike. There, I would go with the 300. They are likely to perform similar for acceleration and top speed, yet the 300 is 50 lbs. lighter and is $1,000 or so cheaper. The additional weight of the Honda might make it better for touring, especially if they put a good seat on it. For fun factor, look at power to weight ratios. The Honda and Ninja 300 are very close at .102 for the 300 and .109 for the Honda 500. Triumph Street Triple r? .261, one of the highest.

#16 ·
If the (tentative) CBR500R is really a Ninja 300 competitor, I expect it to come in at no more than $5500 MSRP, so you're still pretty much twice the price. Even if Honda lost their minds and priced it at something ridiculous like $7500, the bikes simply don't serve the same market; it's just not a valid comparison.

#17 ·
Performance-wise it will be pretty close. I mean there are some people who can't decide if they should get a 250r (now the Ninja 300) or a Ninja 650r for their first bike. They might just go with something like the Honda 500 if they have a close Honda dealer or trust the brand. It wouldn't be my choice. My observation is that if a bike is really good looking and performs well, people will find the money. Look how everyone is jumping on the Kawa 300. The extra $600 or $1300 more for the ABS model doesn't seem to be slowing people down at my dealership and meanwhile the 2012 250s are not selling. I'm not sure why someone would pay much more money for a heavier bike like the Honda 500 that performed about the same. It looks to me like the 300 really has little competition in the forseeable future. The 300 is likely to hurt 650r sales though. I would probably just skip the 500s and 650s for my second bike and go straight to something fast.....something like the Triumph Street Triple r !!, or maybe an in-line 4. The Triumph has a much more favorable riding position, seat ht., and weight than an R6 or R1 for me.

#18 ·
It really all comes down to money in my book.. I bought a 2009 Ninja 250R for my wife and paid $1800 for it, it was in great shape, I got an awesome deal on it..

Now its parked next to the 300.. I paid $4000 more the the 300.. Is it worth $4000 more.. In all honestly, no.. But was it worth it to me because I wanted it, yes haha :)

#20 ·
Yes, that is a good deal for an 09. I've seen them advertised for twice that amount. That's the beauty of buying from an individual. Some people just want to get rid of something and don't really care if they take a loss. A dealer would never do this..unless he were going out of business. I had a neighbor who was fiddling with a Chinese scooter a while back, so I stopped to talk with him. It was his sons and he is getting ready to move and wanted to get rid of it. It didn't run though. I asked him what he wanted for it and he said $100. I said something like I would ask around and he then said, "do you want it?" I said maybe, and he said, "$50?". He lived uphill from me, so I coasted home on it. An hour later I had it running. It had a crimped fuel line and a dead battery. It runs great.

#26 ·
I just purchased a 300 and never been on a bike before either. Its not hard. The hardest thing you will find with this bike is not stalling on hills. Other than that I havent had a problem. The bike is light enough that you can catch it when its falling over if you stalled and its stable at very slow speeds anyway. I will be taking the MSF course though. Its just booked for the next two weeks here. Only thing that scares me now is traffic around me. I guess thats just something you get use too.

#28 ·
Right now??? Correct me if i'm wrong but isnt right now for you like 2 or 3am? Man thats dedication to learn... good work

btw how much does the class cost for you in Illinois? where i live in california for over 21 years old its $250, but under 21 is $150... i dont understand that....

Just got my 300 yesterday first bike in 20 years and figure i'll take the course so i dont have to do the driving test at the dmv, those guys make me nervous....

anyways good luck and congrats on your first time....

#29 ·
lol sorry not right now but all this week i been taking it in IL classes are Friday 6pm-9:30pm and saturday and sunday 8am-5pm. Yes it's 1:35am here i got class in like 6 or 7 hours.

That sucks you have to pay in IL it is offered to the public for free all you pay is $20 but you get it back first day of class.

There is a 2010 250 red ninja for 2800$ at a dealer i'm hoping he still has it around feb. march so i can buy. It's like the high 40s out here so not many people buying bikes now

#30 ·
lol sorry not right now but all this week i been taking it in IL classes are Friday 6pm-9:30pm and saturday and sunday 8am-5pm. Yes it's 1:35am here i got class in like 6 or 7 hours.

That sucks you have to pay in IL it is offered to the public for free all you pay is $20 but you get it back first day of class.

There is a 2010 250 red ninja for 2800$ at a dealer i'm hoping he still has it around feb. march so i can buy. It's like the high 40s out here so not many people buying bikes now
Good for you man! Both on the bike and taking the course. Good for you man. You'll be glad you did!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.