Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Ari Henning talking about the N400 at the track:

I saw one yesterday at the Chicago motorcycle show. Visually there are some good improvements over the 300. and a few higher quality touches here and there. Looks like they learned a trick from the R3 where the clip-ons might me able to mount under the top triple for a sportier riding position.

While I'm still bummed out that they chose to one-up other makers in the displacement wars, it does look like a better bike for the money.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Ari Henning talking about the N400 at the track:

I saw one yesterday at the Chicago motorcycle show. Visually there are some good improvements over the 300. and a few higher quality touches here and there. Looks like they learned a trick from the R3 where the clip-ons might me able to mount under the top triple for a sportier riding position.

While I'm still bummed out that they chose to one-up other makers in the displacement wars, it does look like a better bike for the money.
Yeah I was really interested to hear what Ari had to say about the bike as he is experienced and respected etc.
Sounds like the frame is a lot stiffer and that tighter steering head angle has quickened up the handling without affecting stability.
Brakes sound a bit average though, could be some braided lines on order soon! I wonder if they just needed a good bleed?

I'm looking at dropping the bars under the tope yoke right from the get go. Hopefully they are aluminium and not super heavy cast steel items like on my old Honda CBR300.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
New owner review

This review is perhaps a bit moot on this forum as I have never ridden a Ninja 300 so can't directly compare whats better and whats not.

But would like to say that I've been really happy with the N400 so far. I've had it a week today and clocked up 750km on it last weekend. I rode it normally (hard) from Km 0 as I'm not a believer of the break in process.

The power is good and feels quite linear. It does pick up in the higher revs but its definitely no slouch off the bottom and through the mid range. I cruised home from the dealer (200km ride) sitting on 140Kph and it lapped it up. Will do a top speed run once the bores have loosened up a bit more.

Really impressed with the handling esp the stability. The new frame design, 41mm forks and 150 section rear trye seem to give it quite a planted feel on the road despite it's light weight.
The damping feels really good front and rear. You have to have a fairly rough piece of seal and push it hard to get it out of shape.

The brakes are not overwhelming though. They do have the power but lack initial bite and feel spongy getting the job done. Some braided lines and sintered pads may be in the works.

Ergos etc all good, its a personal thing, I'm going to lower the bars and maybe rear sets but I'm a sports rider so...

Happy with fit and finish etc, the LED lights are good at night.

Sounds absolutely dreadful though, a pipe is a must!

Also nice to see a bike of this price point coming out with radial tyres (Dunlop Sportmax) as standard. I haven't been able to fault them so far.

So it does every thing it says on the box very competently IMO and would recommend one to a potential buyer.

P1000006.JPG

·
Registered
537 Posts
Shopped around and looked at the new Ninja 400 and the 2017 Ninja 300's. I am 5'10 and weigh 200 lbs. with a 29 " inseam. Sat on and tried both bikes. Needless to say that I did have the choice of either the 400 or 300. Well folks, my NEW 2017 Ninja 300 ABS KRT was delivered last Thursday. I just did not have the comfort on the 400 that the 300 gave me.

You also need know that engine size does not mean anything to me. My new Ninja is parked right next to my Yamaha V-Star 950 and during my riding career, I have ridden everything from a 175cc up to and including 1500's. Thus, I was not looking for a bike to take me screaming down the highway. I wanted something that was really sharp looking, was going to be fun to ride and put a smile on my face, thus I did feel that the 300 would provide that.

One thing that really stands out and I did not even realize this fact until I came to this forum and started doing more reading and research about the 300, are the accessories that are offered for the 300. Seems like owners of a 300 would be able to do anything with it in regards to keeping it stock to making it a screaming track bike.

Even now if I was to purchase another new bike, which may happen. I would go back to looking at other models of the 300. I am quite sure that I would pass on the 400. And at present the 300 has made me a huge Kawasaki fan. But also, if I were to purchase another bike, I would definitely consider other brand names, before I purchased a 400.

Kindly keep in mind, this is only my personal opinion and my new Ninja 300 is the first sport bike that I have owned. I have usually opted for either cruisers or touring bikes in the past. But now after taking delivery of the 300, I know that I am going to really like it. And after reading about sport bikes in general, I really think that all the manufacturers are putting more thought and engineering into the SPORT bike , than their other models of motorcycles. Once again personally, I came across a Harley ride a couple of weeks ago. About 100 Harleys passed by me and I sat their thinking ..... Geeeezzzzzzz, they all look the same to me ! Keep in mind that I love Harley Sportsters, but I really needed a bike change and the Ninja 300 is providing that change. :grin2:

101 - 105 of 105 Posts