Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
First-time poster.

Apparently, the engine for the 400 has passed CARB. Even though the one pictured is the Japanise model, not the one that seen in Milwaukie a few months back,

Ride apart has an article named "Enter the Ninja - The Kawasaki Ninja 400 Comes to America" that I saw this in.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No 400 listed on the Kawi Canada site. We'll see if it is released here later next year.
So, I am totally confused.
This 400 is coming to USA then as a NEWLY designed bike? Article has a picture of a 400R though, right?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_400R
Guys this is a yet to be released model due for 2018 so you wont find any info on it on Wiki or Kawasaki websites.
The manufacturers generally like to keeps spec sheets and the look of the bike etc under wraps until the official unveiling which is usually done in conjunction with a major motorcycle show.
If it's not at the Tokyo motor show this wkd then it will be at the EICMA motorcycle show in Milan, Italy in early November.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I hope that's not what it ends up looking like. It looks cheap, whereas the 300 looks sleek and aggressive. I'm digging the dual front disks, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hope that's not what it ends up looking like. It looks cheap, whereas the 300 looks sleek and aggressive. I'm digging the dual front disks, though.
It will not. That is a 400 that was in production starting in 2011. If I recall correctly it was only available in Japan, New Zealand, and Canada. I am not sure of how long it was in production.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Guys this is a yet to be released model due for 2018 so you wont find any info on it on Wiki or Kawasaki websites.
Aye, I get that part. (Although shame on that article to have an image of the 2011 400R!)
I guess my question is: is this a completely new bike, or an updated 400R? It appears the 400R was a scaled down 600, and this new one is a scaled up 300 as its replacement?

·
Registered
339 Posts
It'd be a shame if Kawasaki stops doing the 300 as it's so well positioned in the 300 class.
I guess a 400 would have to race with the 500's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From what I read, the 300 is already confirmed as NOT one of the continued models for 2018. I think the 400 is going after the R3 and the KTM.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kawasaki seem to be keen to gain a market advantage by being the first to raise the cc bar another notch. They were first to go to 300cc back in 2012 when everyone else was making 250's and now they are first to make a bigger leap to 400cc which I personally think is maybe a bit much too soon.
It's getting away from the lightweight class and knocking on the door of the middle weight class.
Will be interesting to see if the other manufacturers respond with 400's or opt for some middle ground around 350cc.
@MAL The general consensus going off the blurry-ish spy photo is that it's not a rehash of the old 400/650 but either based on the existing 300 (which I agree has nicer lines) or a completely new bike. I would expect the motor top be all new as the existing one dates way back to the GPX250 of the eighties.

·
Registered
92 Posts
As with most of you here, I'm sure we are all excited to see what they come out with. I am curious as to what the plans of some of the members on here who have had their Ninja for a little while now who may be seeking just a bit more for the street or looking to update their Ninja in the near future. I'm really happy with my 300, but i'm now at the point on those isolated highway rides where I am wanting more, - 6th gear WOT and wanting a bit more.

Where I am, I need a bike that is slim and nimble for lane splitting the horrendous sickening traffic and over-congestion, first and foremost. I haven't ridden many other bikes, but I wouldn't want to get much wider than the already 300 as it can get tight already filtering through traffic. This has me very interested to see what Kawasaki has coming out. Also, the 600 (r6) and 1000 class ( Fireblade ) are slimming down, which is what I want to see, but they aren't necessarily right for what I need. Street triple is probably it but I am hesitant to get a Ducati and I want fairings. An updated Daytona could make me think though.

I am thinking about maybe getting another season out of my beloved 300, seeing how the 400 does on it's first year, and consider a second-year 2019 400. I am thinking about it alot , but things will get clearer when we see what is released. By that time, It's a long shot, but was also hoping to see if zx6r slims down at all.

What I am wondering most is... How many pre-existing mods will be able to be retro-fitted on to the new 400!? Would be awesome If I could transfer my m4 full exhaust, bk moto headlights, saddleman gel seat, and the rest to the 400.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The widest point of a motorcycle are the handlebars and rider's shoulder's/hips. You can take some of the widest motorcycles, like the Hayabusa or ZX-14 and they'll still filter nearly as good as the ninja 300 due to having very similar handlebar dimensions. Hell, most people even make it harder on themselves by adding bar-end mirrors making their widest point even wider and still seem to be able to filter just fine. Those other bikes you mentioned aren't really slimming down as the engine isn't getting much smaller but their getting shorter front to back as we find better ways to tilt the engine and stack the transmission. This I don't like as it causes these new super sports and super bikes to feel too cramped. I don't like the feeling of having my chin over the windscreen with my face shield just inches away from hitting the windscreen. It's the main reason why I went from the GSX-R 750 to the R1. The GSX-R just felt too cramped from to back and I couldn't tuck without my helmet hitting the windscreen without a very bad bend in the back to do it. I felt like a cat that just got ambushed by a dog. Not to mention that even when all the way back in the saddle, the clip-ons were too close to the seat putting my hands at behind my chin/neck instead of more comfortably further forward of my head. It's the reason why I like older super bikes because they tend to be a bit longer. I prefer a longer reach to the bars from the seat. The current super sports in the proper seating position for me had my arms very bent at the elbow. Trying to find a seating position with a slight bend at the elbows had me looking like a ridiculous prairie dog looking for predators. So my upper body looked and felt like I was on a standard yet my lower body was bunched up like I was popping a squat in the woods.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So it appears the engine and chassis are indeed all new. Key spec differences compared to the 300 are:

HP is up by 6 from 39 to 45.
Torque up from 20lb/ft to 28lb/ft
Front forks up in diameter from 37mm to 41mm but still not USD :(
Front disc rotor up from 290mm to 310mm

Surprisingly given all those 'up' figures the curb weight is down 6kg from 174 to 168. Nice work.

Personally I'm not mad about the 'H2' styling, I think the 300 looked better. It's the front fairing in particular for me. But, its not ugly either!
I see there is a factory option of an Akrapovic titanium exhaust system. Sounds great (maybe literally ha ha) but I wonder how much extra that will cost?
I'm also not crazy on the KRT color scheme, the black option may be the go and probably cheaper.

Overall though I'm happy with what I'm seeing and will wait to see what the pricing is here in NZ.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
If there is going to be a Versys 400, I think it will be very popular. One of the things I do not like is that the fuel tank has become smaller(I think it is 14 litres now). Overall I think it is a bigger & better Ninja 300.

Regards,
Kaustav

1 - 20 of 105 Posts