Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I went to one of my local motorcycle dealers and I took a look at Kawasaki's new small adventure bike, the Versys-X300. They had two of them on the showroom floor. One in green and one in a silver/gray.
I live in Arizona and there are a lot of dirt roads here that lead to some interesting destinations. This bike looks like it would be great in easy fire road and smooth dirt trails.
The tank will hold 4.5 gallons of gas and the seat height is lower than anything that is available from anyone else. I don't want ABS for the dirt but it is available if you do. They have fairing guards and hard bags available from the factory and I will bet that there will be a lot of aftermarket companies that will produce mods for this little bike.
I may have to sell one or two of my bikes to get this little beauty but the bike is going to be in my garage for sure. I have some experience with the 300s engine and it's a keeper for me.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Not bad but I've been drooling over the BMW G310 GS. Probably a little less power, but more torque and overall built to a higher standard of quality. Sat on one at the Chicago Motorcycle show.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a number of things that steer me away from the BMW:

A 2.9 gallon tank
It's a single, and I will take a twin over a single any day. I intend to do light dirt work with no single track.
A top speed of 89mph! Some of the roads that I have to take to get to the good dirt trails are posted at 70mph and folks usually are above that.
The BMW is a quality product but maintenance is very costly if you take your bike to the dealer and I will bet that the GS is a little more complex than the X-300. I can do all the work on my Ninja and I would think that the X-300 would be no different.
The BMW will probably cost more.
I don't need ABS on a small adventure bike even if I can turn the ABS off when I am in the dirt.
I will have to buy a low seat on the BMW. I am good to go on the X-300.
It would be cool to have the Ninja and the X-300 in the same garage. I have been, and will always be, a Kawasaki sort of guy.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The BMW has better suspension and brakes. I'm sure it will cost more. I can't get anyone to tell me the MSRP. If it's $8K forget it. In that case for me it would be the CRF 250 Rally. Also build to a higher standard of quality.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Damn,may want to get one myself.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In that case for me it would be the CRF 250 Rally. Also build to a higher standard of quality.

I'm out. I am 5'4" tall and the Honda has a 35+ inch seat height. 32" seat height I could handle but 35+ is just too much.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Understood. I'm 5-11" and have come to like tall bikes. Some of my dirt bikes and supermotos have been around 38". It probably helps that my 200+ lbs pushed the suspension down 4", hahaha. I sat on the CRF Rally too and while the seat was high, it was narrow. Long term comfort has got to suck on that bike. The G310 GS has a way better seat.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Suzuki already introduced the V-Strom 250 and Honda has a concept model of CB300X.
Yamaha could bring the MT-03.

so yea, the Versys 300 has no shortage of rivals.

Suzuki V-Strom 250

Honda CB300X Concept (CX-01)

Yamaha MT-03

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The versys is an adventure bike: panniers, high handlebars, and touring accessories. The cb300 and mt03 are more city bikes. If I wanted a small adv bike, I wouldn't consider those.

I own a CB500X and it gives me the same mileage that my 300 gave me, only it's a little faster. Same size tank too, so same range. Because it's possible to have more power and consume the same amount of fuel, I'd like these guys to make them 500s better. My 300's pickup power was at its end at 75 mph. After that, it took a lot more exertion to get it to go faster. The only thing the 300 had better was it's weight. In city traffic I could fling it around super easy, which is why I miss it. But for touring, I want a little more oomph for the interstate.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The V-Strom should be called the I-Strom since it is an in line twin. But what's worse is that it's based on the GW250 motor just like the GSX250. It's a real stinker and both bikes are destined to fail. It makes 21 hp at the rear wheel. For comparison, that's about 3 or 4 hp less than a single cylinder CBR250.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yamaha MT-03
Wow, what an odd placement for the rear spring. I thought it was interesting until I realized how risky that placement is. Am I the only one looking at that thinking of how many people are going to get their leg pinched, or some bumblef*ck thinking that's a good place to rest their hand, when hitting a pothole? Putting a component with moving parts like that so close to my own bodies moving parts just feels like a bad idea.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Btw, I'm pretty sure that's not the MT-03 in question. That's an older 2006 660cc model from years gone by it seems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts