Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The digital display/speedometer on my Ninja works(ish), however the backlight is not working. Everything else seems to work including the other instrument lights. I have checked the fuses and they all seem to be okay. I would like to avoid replacing the instrument panel itself as I know it’s a sealed unit and the odometer will not be the same once swapped. What are some things I can try in order to solve this? Has anyone else had this issue? I’ll attach pictures.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gauge

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am not at my bike right now so cannot check, but are you sure it is a sealed unit? There is a light source behind the screen. Some type of LED. See if you can open up the unit and find it for replacement.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It's probably a surface mount LED, and I would guess it is sealed. I have opened up instrument clusters though. I just did my '04 GSX-R750 instrument panel. It was super gross and had bugs and stuff, and I needed to polish the lens. I got it all the way apart and cleaned it all, and re sealed it and it works good!

If you can get it apart, usually LCD back lights are panels, not individual bulbs. In my experience, these panels never 'burn out' like a bulb, they usually just have the wires for them break. If you are handy with a soldering iron, it is probably a real easy fix.

I've done an absolute ton of soldering work in my days, if you get in there and find you need to solder, shoot me a PM if you have questions about the process or just want advice!

Hope this helps.
-Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, they were guys on the GSXS 1000 forum who were changing the color of their back light on the cluster. Definitely involved a soldering iron.
OP, If you want, go to the GSXS 1000 Suzuki forum, and search for that. The guy had a pictorial how he did it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts