Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
194 Posts
Ouch!! I'd pull the stator cover for sure

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
If you're going to put it on the kickstand you going to lose a little bit of oil just put a drain pan under there for now if you have wheel stands and get the bike upright shouldn't have to worry about any kind of oil maybe a few drops

Definitely something is in there hitting the stator and or flywheel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, I heard it yesterday at a red light but continued because I was half way to work and made it home ok. Stop riding it today. Will open it up this afternoon.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yeah yikes! If I was you, I would just drain the oil. If it looks normal, then you probably didn't cause much damage. But if it's got a bunch of shiny bits in it, there might be something more wrong. I would pull off the stator cover and the clutch cover just to see both sides, but yeah if the sound is on the left side, check the stator cover first. Mind the magnets when pulling the cover off.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
The stator cover needs to come off, and inspect the stator, flywheel, etc.. it almost sounds like one of the stator bolts has worked it's way loose, and is hitting the flywheel.

Either way it needs attention before you may cause serious damage, something isn't happy in there.

I'd drop the oil anyway, most likely you're going to want to do an oil and filter change after all is said and done.

Reactions: Rogue and SparkyMJ

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Good deal, I got to tell you to put a dab of loc-tite on the bolts, so it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dumb question here: how did you remove the stator cover? I'm doing a replacement myself and can't seem to be able to remover the cover. I've removed the outer bolts and and it only comes out about half an inch then it gets stuck on something. Do I need to remove the center cap and remove that center bolt? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
Dumb question here: how did you remove the stator cover? I'm doing a replacement myself and can't seem to be able to remover the cover. I've removed the outer bolts and and it only comes out about half an inch then it gets stuck on something. Do I need to remove the center cap and remove that center bolt? Thanks in advance!
Have you removed the coolant pipe that goes from the radiator to the water pump?

You don't have to touch the 'center bolt', which is not a bolt but a cover that can be removed to access to the crank shaft to spin the engine for maintenance or repairs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you removed the coolant pipe that goes from the radiator to the water pump?

You don't have to touch the 'center bolt', which is not a bolt but a cover that can be removed to access to the crank shaft to spin the engine for maintenance or repairs.
Yes I have removed the coolant pipes, I found out the hard way that the center bolt doesn't have to be messed with lol.. I tried loosening it like a moron. I think I need to remove the speed sensor bracket to work it loose..

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
Yes, you do need to remove the gear position sensor bracket. That comes out very easily though.

Then you should be able to pull it out. If your bike is low miles, you may be able to reuse the gasket. Pull it out gently. However, it's always a good idea to put a new gasket.
When you pull out the cover, some oil may come out too, and there are some 'dowel pins' too. Be careful not to lose them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, you do need to remove the gear position sensor bracket. That comes out very easily though.

Then you should be able to pull it out. If your bike is low miles, you may be able to reuse the gasket. Pull it out gently. However, it's always a good idea to put a new gasket.
When you pull out the cover, some oil may come out too, and there are some 'dowel pins' too. Be careful not to lose them.
I will try it tonight. My bike has 14k so it's due for a new one. I have a new gasket also. I have a new stator cover from ebay because the previous owner jb welded the corner of the existing cover. He did allot of things wrong to this bike and I'm slowing bringing her back. What are these dowel pins you speak of?? And where are they located?? Thanks in advance bud.

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
What are these dowel pins you speak of?? And where are they located?? Thanks in advance bud.
Those are three or four pins that are used to align the cover with the engine body. Both the engine and the cover have some holes, three or four, I think. When assembling, y start by sliding the pins in the engine holes. Half of the pins bodies will stick out of the holes. Then you put the cover by matching the pins in the cover holes. That aligns the cover with the engine and it should make it easier to screw in the bolts.

Also, I'm almost sure there are at least two bolts that are longer than the others. Take note of the position when you take them out, Anyways, not a big deal if you don't, as you will quickly realize some of them are too long for some of the screws.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts