Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 ninja 300 that i got from a friend at about 23k miles. Is there anything i should be worried about maintenance wise ? The owners manual goes up to i think 20k but after that nothing... I know the usual tires, chain, oil and things like that but anything specific i should be worried about? Also it makes a jerking motion back and forth when i let the throttle out a little or am holding it steady. Is that something i should be worried about? A new rider just getting started and can use all the help i can get.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Welcome! The maintenance schedule doesn't just 'stop' at 20K...if that's as high as it goes it just means that you repeat the maintenance intervals until infinity.

The throttle jerkiness is just something that most (all?) bikes can do and you control it with by practicing much better throttle control. The more you ride and practice the better at it you'll get. It may not completely go away but it will diminish significantly.

You may be getting closer to a valve clearance inspection (google it). I believe the manual calls for it earlier but many delay it a bit with no issues. I'm sure you can search the forum for valve clearance checks and you'll find a bunch of info.

Hope you have protective gear and have taken your MSF course. Enjoy your new bike.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'll also add that you'll want to make sure your other fluids have been changed at some point (brake, coolant) and your air filter has been cleaned / replaced. Probably getting close to needing new spark plugs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I picked up a 2013 non abs as well a few weeks ago, with only 4600 miles. I changed all the fluids, oil, coolant and brakes. Next will be the fork oil with a heavier weight oil. I changed the air filter as well to an after market one. Similar to BMC and K&N. With over 20/k miles the plugs need to be changed and the valves checked/adjusted. I replaced the stock tires with the Michelin RS 110/70 front and 140/70 rear. I plan on using the 300 for track days to help with corner speed. My 400 is my main track weapon!
1D7ED3CD-704F-4244-826D-E50AC77AC934.jpeg

·
Registered
342 Posts
I was going to suggest checking the condition of the air filter as well.

Adding a strong fuel system cleaner like Techron Concentrate (1oz per gal) once per season helps keep the injectors, valves, and combustion chamber clear of deposits. I run it once per year in all my vehicles.

Never hurts, and it may improve the issue you are having.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was pretty much on the same boat and did a full overhaul before I hit the road!
As far as general maintenance
This included
Oil
Spark plugs
Air filter
Coolant
Brake fluid
brake pads
Replaced front and back tires
Valve clearance if it’s running weird!....

Am I missing anything?!?!....

but yeah welcome to the wild world of two wheelin!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Simple electric check with basic multimeter.

Battery should be around 13V full charge 12.7 probably have 1 season left
12.5 replace the battery so you don't end up stranded

Start the bike
With a friend's help (or alligator clips) test @ 4k rpm
Should be 14.1-14.6V
15 problem in charging system (most likely rectifier)
Below 13.8 charging system (most likely stator)

I seem to have had 1 of these issues on every used bike I've purchased.

Welcome & be safe

·
Registered
35 Posts
i just bought a shorai when i check it with volt meter off it reads 13.2 jumps to 14 when on and reving but after 5 days of not riding the voltage when off drops to 13......

i thought lithium can holld voltage longer than regular batteries.....

is my stator going bad?.....
how can i tell?....'

TIA

·
Registered
342 Posts
i just bought a shorai when i check it with volt meter off it reads 13.2 jumps to 14 when on and reving but after 5 days of not riding the voltage when off drops to 13......

i thought lithium can holld voltage longer than regular batteries.....

how can i tell?....'

TIA
13V after sitting 5 days is fine.

·
Registered
365 Posts
how can i tell?....'
With a multimeter set to DC, measure the voltage between battery terminals with the bike revving at 4k rpm. It should be close to 14V. I think that lower than 13V should be a bad stator.

If your stator is bad, riding the bike, the head light will drain the battery in 10 or 15 minutes and the red battery light will turn on in the cluster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts