Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So.. Was doing some practicing around the neighborhood and somewhere along the line I want to make a u turn.

But I made a u turn on a steep driveway... Yeah...
I was in first making a slow u turn, and when I got to the apex of the turn, gravity took over...

Felt the bike starting to fall, so I did what I my inexperienced mind told me to do - I hit the kill switch (Cuz I was scared of throttling it while in gear. I was pretty much falling of to the left already) and tried to save my ninja..

My foot was close to my bike, so I didn't have a good leverage, and down she went.. Super slow motion.. Haha. At this point I knew it was going down.. I just wanted it to be as slow as possible.

My leg got caught under the bike, and I actually saw the shifter bend inwards like it was made of some super pliable metal. The shifter got bent into the straight bar thingy (sorry, don't know the name of it) so I couldn't shift.

But luckily, the little tool pouch came in handy and I bent it back and was able to shift again.

Damage report:
http://www.ipicit.net/picit/1368918623.5292.iPicit.jpg
Scuffed mirror

http://www.ipicit.net/picit/1368918662.2023.iPicit.jpg
Bent shifter

http://www.ipicit.net/picit/1368918701.8442.iPicit.jpg
And one tiny ass scratch to the fairing.. I think my leg took most of the weight.

http://www.ipicit.net/picit/1368918769.4245.iPicit.jpg
And a small scratch to my ankle. (I don't have boots yet :()

Lesson learned though.
They say the best teacher is experience, and I won't be making u turns on hills like that again that's for sure.

Anyone know where I could get an all black shifter? Or just the OEM one on the cheap?

Thank for reading guys!
Hope this helps some newbies like me too :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
good thing it was only minor cosmetic
have you thought about getting protection for the side of your bike incase you drop it again?
i've had the same problem previous, the slow dreaded drop to one side. thank god the bike is light and i manage to get up back upright. i dont think i could do that on a 600cc. i

·
Registered
368 Posts
Google some rear sets. Lots of people uses sv rear sets on here, they're cheaper than vortex (ones I want) they come in black usually

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't worry about it brother, that's common mistake. I laid my baby down the same process like you except the cause of it. Stupid dirt on my driveway... Laid it down 1st and only at 4 miles. -.-

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
I'll straighten it out and keep it as back up for sure though.
Actually the bend-it-back I did on the side of the road actually put it in a better position for my feet haha!
thats cool, straighten the old one & keep it for a spare, thats a great idea:D

·
Banned
277 Posts
Slow turns are easier to maneuver when you're dragging the rear brake.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I hated doing u turns and figure 8s (THE DREADED BOX!) at first and pretty much avoided them at all cost but soon realized that it is something that needed to be learned to progress my skill and become a better rider. What I did was find an empty parking lot and practice practice practice. One thing I learned (and I'm not going to lie it was on youtube lol) is slightly using your rear brake while having throttle and clutch control. This helps stabilize the bike without it wanting to fall over. Also, moving your butt over to the opposite side of the seat and countering the weight of the bike. This is kind of difficult to do with the rear brake applied IMO but you'll feel the bike "underneath" you and can really toss it around. This may sound weird but whenever I do the second method I feel like I'm on a bicycle. So it helps me think like I'm on one and can easily toss it around, therefore I do. Hope this helps! Ride safe!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I've dropped a bike on a steep driveway too. Tried to step on the downside and that is a super bad idea. Derp. Glad it wasn't worse. Accidents happen. All ye can do is learn from them. :D

Reactions: GreenSmitten

·
Registered
958 Posts
You will find many new riders drop their bikes in gas stations, at lights, parking lots, their driveways, etc. with slow speed maneuvering. It takes lots of practice and using the throttle, rear brake and clutch, as well as counter-steering to get it down properly, but it will come to you. Glad you or your bike weren't seriously hurt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can you provide a link for them? What does it do exactly? Is it like a screen protector for phones? I got a little tiny crack on mine due to it.
they are made from Delrin and stick out from the fairings .. at a knock over or slow speed drop they protect the plastics

I have the shogun no cut frame sliders .. got them through riders discount!
ImageUploadedByMO Free1369015797.565025.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts