Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 160 rear tire on the stock wheel. I made a youtube video of it a couple years ago. I will post the link again if anyone would like to check it out. No clickbait, just if anyone wants to check it out is all. Anyway, someone recently comment saying he put a 170 rear tire on the stock wheel.He said he is going to post pictures and a video soon. Not here to troll the person at all. Just wanted to get fellow 300 riders thoughts on putting a 170 on the stock wheel. He says it doesnt pinch the tire at all. I have a 160 on mine and it doesnt pinch at all either. Ive had it on for two years now and I love it. No performance issues whatsoever, and Ive never had the death wobble that some 300 riders talk about. Ive heard some people say putting a 170 on a stock wheel will just pinch the tire essentially making it the same size as a 160. Again, not here to troll the person that posted the comment on my video. Just wanted to get some of your thoughts on it. I will keep yall updated if he does in fact post a video of it.

160 rear on ninja 300

·
Registered
460 Posts
Haven't read through the whole thread, but there might be something in here:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Generally not a good idea to squeeze a bigger tire onto a rim not properly sized for it. It changes the sidewall angle and tire profile.

It's not going to help handling, and probably makes it worse. Look at the size tires on a Moto3 bike. The rear isn't that big. That's optimum.

You usually have some leeway, but that sounds like too much tire to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If its important to you, you'll never scrub the chicken strip off bc you'll be scraping parts before you get there.
Considering stock is a 140 on the rear 170 seems like a mighty big change & I'd worry about safety with the altered dynamics.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Considering stock is a 140 on the rear 170 seems like a mighty big change & I'd worry about safety with the altered dynamics.
Totally agree, but just to clarify: the Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition came with a 150mm wide rear tire ex. factory.
I reckon 160 could be okay....maybe. 170 sounds gimmicky.

All-in-all, for such things, I prefer the the recommendations of the designers of the bike (i.e. 140 or 150).

·
Registered
52 Posts
170 sounds pretty interesting.

What is it you’re looking to get from a 170 tyre?

More aggressive look? I can see that. Someone who knows nothing about motos may think it’s cool. Anyone who’s not a moto newb will probably not be very impressed.

Performance? As someone else mentioned previously, moto3 tyres are even narrower (120) and those machines achieve impressive lean angles while cornering at speeds most of us will never reach. At the track, I’m scraping foot controls (with after market rearsets and raised suspension) on stock sized tyres and faster guys in the advanced group run stock sizes (140) as well and they’re passing liter motos with 190 tyres in the turns.

To summarize, big tyre = downgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts